VIDEO: World wildlife numbers 'to drop by 67% in 50 years', new report finds - world

webfact

I first visited northern Thailand a third of a century ago. Then I moved to reside here in the north, nearly 20 yrs ago. I am outdoors, usually in rural areas, each day, even if it's raining.  As time rolls by, I see less species.  It's not only large beautiful beasts we love to see photos of, like leopards and bears, but also small creatures and insects and plant species.  Here are some of the species I saw early on, which I don't see now:

tarantulas. I saw two in earlier years.  Haven't seen any in 15 yrs.

dung beetles.  I saw two mating, 15 yrs ago.  

owls - they used to be common on cliff sides.  Now gone.

woodpeckers.

fewer large beetles, some were 6 inches long.  Another type were over 3 cm wide. 

monkeys. A Thai friend told me, when he was a boy 30 yrs ago, they were all over the rocky hills nearby. Now; zero.

praying mantises. 

pointy nosed mouse.  I saw one, 18 yrs ago.

giant worms - over a foot long, light purple, thick as a thumb.

I do see a small brown squirrels about twice a year. So perhaps all mammals (other than rats and bats) haven't yet been eradicated in northern and NE Thailand.  ....replaced by dogs, chickens and people.

Speaking of bats:  there is one large cavern nearby, which houses bats.  In years past, it several thousand in July.  Normally, just about 30.  However, locals try to harvest them.  One hill triber man placed a net at the top of their entry/exit hole.  I tore it out.  

And don't get me started on plants, .....

1 hour ago, Pimay1 said:

More profits of doom just like the climate change nutters.

Yeah it is well known the humans have clearly no impact on the environment and it was never the case :

The Dodo were probably depressives and killed themselves. The invasive species are tales for children, the disparition of the bees is a figment of our imagination, the poaching of protected species is just helping to regulate the animal population, the oil spillings at sea or ashores is nothing more than modern art...The dolphin dyings because they mistake plastic bags for jellyfish? they should be less stupid.... Clearly we have no impact on our environment....:coffee1:

7 hours ago, Pimay1 said:

You need to do some research. The real "nutters" are the climate change deniers.

On the subject of declining wildlife numbers, since homo sapiens appeared on the planet over 99 percent of other animal species have already become extinct. 

14 minutes ago, proutproutprout said:

Yeah blame the chinese, it is well known the western world is pure as an angel

I don't recall the Western world encouraging the slaughter of exotic animals for   traditional medicine as the Chinese do and even continue to do so knowing regarding some species the numbers remaining are dangerously low.

36 minutes ago, proutproutprout said:

Yeah blame the chinese, it is well known the western world is pure as an angel

Strange that in 40+ years back in the USA, I was never offered an endangered species at the dinner table or from a pharmacy drawer.  Happened all the time during the 10 years I lived in China.  And I often lost business when I declined the offers.

2 hours ago, tartempion said:

Time for the planet to get rid of humans.

No joke. The carrying capacity of this finite planet is about 1/10th the # of humans there are now.  There are ways to lessen runaway overpopulation.  #1 is to have less babies.  I had two, and then got a vasectomy.  If I hadn't, I would plausibly have 5 to 10 more kids by now, with as many different women.  In some primitive cultures, it's praiseworthy to have many kids, even if the parents are poor as church mice.  I don't admire that.

3 hours ago, nottocus said:

Hopefully that includes a lot of insects.

Insects will do fine without humans.  Humans need insects to survive.   We also need bacteria.   If human go to colonize Mars, bacteria will be hitching a ride.  If the human colony dies, the bacteria will likely live on and mutate.  In 500 million years, there will be new creatures on Mars which evolved from the bacteria from peoples' guts/nostrils/pathgens, ...whatever.  In another eon, there could be intelligent martians which develop technology and visit Earth (where humans have long since perished), to try and find out where they came from.   The Martians also will die, yet perhaps the bacteria in their guts will thrive, .....and so on.

17 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I first visited northern Thailand a third of a century ago. Then I moved to reside here in the north, nearly 20 yrs ago. I am outdoors, usually in rural areas, each day, even if it's raining.  As time rolls by, I see less species.  It's not only large beautiful beasts we love to see photos of, like leopards and bears, but also small creatures and insects and plant species.  Here are some of the species I saw early on, which I don't see now:

tarantulas. I saw two in earlier years.  Haven't seen any in 15 yrs.

dung beetles.  I saw two mating, 15 yrs ago.  

owls - they used to be common on cliff sides.  Now gone.

woodpeckers.

fewer large beetles, some were 6 inches long.  Another type were over 3 cm wide. 

monkeys. A Thai friend told me, when he was a boy 30 yrs ago, they were all over the rocky hills nearby. Now; zero.

praying mantises. 

pointy nosed mouse.  I saw one, 18 yrs ago.

giant worms - over a foot long, light purple, thick as a thumb.

I do see a small brown squirrels about twice a year. So perhaps all mammals (other than rats and bats) haven't yet been eradicated in northern and NE Thailand.  ....replaced by dogs, chickens and people.

Speaking of bats:  there is one large cavern nearby, which houses bats.  In years past, it several thousand in July.  Normally, just about 30.  However, locals try to harvest them.  One hill triber man placed a net at the top of their entry/exit hole.  I tore it out.  

And don't get me started on plants, .....

16 hours ago, minimoi said:

Yeah it is well known the humans have clearly no impact on the environment and it was never the case :

The Dodo were probably depressives and killed themselves. The invasive species are tales for children, the disparition of the bees is a figment of our imagination, the poaching of protected species is just helping to regulate the animal population, the oil spillings at sea or ashores is nothing more than modern art...The dolphin dyings because they mistake plastic bags for jellyfish? they should be less stupid.... Clearly we have no impact on our environment....:coffee1:

It does appear gents that Pimay1 in Post #1 has called you both "nutters". :1zgarz5:

17 hours ago, Pimay1 said:

That'd be "prophets" of doom :crazy:

11 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Using your word profits its exactly that that is killing world wildlife. If the bees die out like predicted you can kiss your Royal Jelly/A*s goodbye. 

...but as Elgordo pointed out, your erroneous word is ironically more accurate! :clap2:

19 hours ago, Pimay1 said:

These NatGeo articles reveal your ignorance and denial of science on both subjects TWO-FOR-ONE! The oceans are of particular and heightened concern...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140331-global-warming-climate-change-ipcc-animals-science-environment/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140529-conservation-science-animals-species-endangered-extinction/

I just read an article in NPR.org about 'bush meat'.  Yes, many Africans continue to go out and kill the remaining gorillas, chimps, monkeys, to get whatever living protein the can find in the forests.   About 2% of city dwellers' diet is bush meat.  The # is over 50% for rural and village folks.   Again, it's people overpopulation (plus ignorance) which is ruining this planet.  There is much evidence.    

In Haiti and other regions, there are no more forests.  People have denuded the land, mostly for wood to cook food.  If you want to see what happens when people decimate a region, research Easter Island.  The Earth is a large version of an island, and its fate will be similar - though there won't be a big sailing ship showing up to offer food and water to the remaining few terrified inhabitants cowering in mud holes, as happened when the Europeans showed up at Easter Island.

Ofcourse the anti green brigade and ani climate change are gonna jump in and say <deleted> its a lie.

But seriously any normal person that takes his head out of the clouds and does the maths here = Human population rising exponentially x urban areas increasing at alarming rate x muslim population baby machines x capitalism + china = LESS SPACE AVAILABLE = NO MORE WILDLIFE (apart from in Zoos)