Pattaya looks to Issan to solve traffic woes

Rimmer

Pattaya looks to Issan to solve traffic woes

Suradej Taweesanegsakulthai, director of operations at Cho. Collosean Co., said the “Khon Kaen Model” could be a template for solving Pattaya’s transportation problems.

PATTAYA:--Pattaya is looking to rural Issan to find a cure for its traffic woes.

Speaking at the Pattaya Business & Tourism Association’s Oct. 17 meeting at the Green Park Resort in Naklua, Suradej Taweesanegsakulthai, director of operations at Cho. Collosean Co., said the so-called “Khon Kaen Model” could be a template for solving Pattaya’s transportation problems.

Suradej told the traffic management officials and representatives from the Land Transport Office that Khon Kaen is one of the largest provinces in Thailand, but lacks enough public transport for its population. It currently has public buses, baht buses and mini vans, but they cannot meet the demand of about 194,000 people a day.

In response, provincial authorities have begun planning an integrated system of buses built around a central tram line. Study on the project is about 50 percent complete, Suradej said.

The Issan province has formed a development company to carry out the transport products and the military government has blessed the idea of a tram there by 2019.

See more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-looks-issan-solve-traffic-woes-153308

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-10-28

5 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

Well, I'm relieved that looking to Isaan to solve their traffic woes, doesn't mean sending all the girls back to their home provinces.

I too was thinking that sending the girls back to Isaan was the solution.  Many tourists would leave Pattaya if the lady migration to Pattaya stopped

If the police enforced the rules and regulations

around this town,   congestion would decrease,  a lot.

Also get Thai drivers and riders to stop being so selfish on the

roads,    Traffic problem solved. :thumbsup:

Could resurrect the Monorail Project !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok,   just day dreaming,   back to beer Chang  no 4, far more fun. :burp:

Edited by onemorechang

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I too was thinking that sending the girls back to Isaan was the solution.  Many tourists would leave Pattaya if the lady migration to Pattaya stopped

There is much much more to Pattaya than girls,Pattaya is a world class beach resort in the making,family friendly with an abundance of real Thai culture at its heart,take a walk anywhere to witness the friendliness of the locals and before you get very far a smiling songthaew driver will pull up to offer you a lift.

written with tounge -in -cheek   :smile:

Any system. anywhere will fail if it is not properly controlled and policed.

Forget Khon Kaen, forget monorails, forget committees etc. Just get the police to do their job, enforce traffic laws, and  fine those who do not want to obey the law at least 20 times what they currently pay.

And if the police wont do it, give the army something to do!

I don't go down to Khon Kaen, been through there a couple of times, never off the main road through town. I can't speak about their traffic problems but in Udon it is miserable downtown. This town was never built to handle the number of automobiles, trucks etc. on the road. The streets must have been laid out by a drunken surveyor on a drunken water buffalo, and those damned roundy roundy things arrrrggghhhh. Seriously the only way to solve the traffic problems would be to declare imminent domain, tear down houses, businesses etc. and widen the roads. Oh and figuring out how to let 2 lanes of traffic go at the same time instead of waiting minutes for the light to change one lane at a time. Learn how to build exit roads, frontage road, overpasses etc. Yes, billions of baht and billions more to fix the drainage and sewer problems. I won't see it in my lifetime. In fact I doubt the kids will and they are still in their teens.

Oh, while we would welcome back a few of the ladies, and the bar owners, workers would welcome seeing a few new faces, they are tired of the same 'ol expats who don't/won't pay LDOP (Lame Dope Over Payer) prices, I think we would really like the Pattaya crowd to stay in Pattaya. No offense meant, I had my times there as a one month millionaire...lol.

I am glad someone has figured a solution out.

I was under the illusion that a lot of the traffic problems were down to the hundreds of parked tour buses clogging the inside lanes of the main roads, instead of being parked off road, on one of the many empty sites. How stupid of me.

5 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

Oh, while we would welcome back a few of the ladies, and the bar owners, workers would welcome seeing a few new faces, they are tired of the same 'ol expats who don't/won't pay LDOP (Lame Dope Over Payer) prices, I think we would really like the Pattaya crowd to stay in Pattaya. No offense meant, I had my times there as a one month millionaire...lol.

That reminds me of the Ex-pat i know ,  who married a prostitute

he found in Pattaya,    then moved away,    now want to pretend it all never happened like that,  and Pattaya is a crap hole,  he does make me laugh most of the time.  :thumbsup:

I am that expat!!!!!!! We don't pretend, she did what she had to do and I'm damn proud of her after 9 years together. Your avatar says all that one needs to know. Stuff it!!!! Talk like that to her and see how quick she hands you your balls.

I liked Pattaya back in the day, it's changed, high prices, bad attitudes, very different crowd of farangs, fights. I haven't been in over 3 years.

The problems in Pattaya are many and rather different due to:

Insufficient roads / poorly planned roads / no real alternatives to road transport / out of control over-development / diversity of types of users / no real town centre as such / users who don't follow rules / important rules not enforced / a vast increase in the number of new users over the number of new roads over the last 20 years / difficulty of adding new roads strategically due to existing (poorly) developed land / new road(s) constructed that cause more traffic jams than before they existed / wasteful and expensive tunnel projects / lack of any properly effective Pattaya bypass / roadworks everywhere and running simultaneously (piecemeal) that all take ages to complete / shed loads of big buses for package tours that park on main streets / strangled Pattaya!

Used to be pretty easy getting around.

3 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Well, I'm relieved that looking to Isaan to solve their traffic woes, doesn't mean sending all the girls back to their home provinces.

Yes, BUT, they are looking at a "model" that not only hasn't been built, but hasn't even be fully planned. Thailand doesn't have the expertise for large scale traffic planning/management, they wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how much traffic is flowing, never mind anything else.

2 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

I am that expat!!!!!!! We don't pretend, she did what she had to do and I'm damn proud of her after 9 years together. Your avatar says all that one needs to know. Stuff it!!!! Talk like that to her and see how quick she hands you your balls.

I liked Pattaya back in the day, it's changed, high prices, bad attitudes, very different crowd of farangs, fights. I haven't been in over 3 years.

Nah, you are just the front of the line, first one to admit it. Look over your shoulder: you're not alone. BTW good on you, as the Aussies would say.

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

bloody ell, that's a hell of a detour, "looking to Isaan to help with Bangkoks traffic problems"  (sorry):shock1:

Yeah but just think of the nice little earner, the trams will be made in Europe, a little bonus here and there to sweeten the deal.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

sending the sweeties back to Isaan is not a solution - would open the door even wider for Russian, Usbek, Chinese, Vietnamese etc. whores

4 hours ago, onemorechang said:

They know all about traffic problems in Issan. :thumbsup:

1.jpg

We certainly do!  The bloke on the bike is obstructing the free flow of traffic.  His sensless act could cause all sorts of traffic chaos if another herd is coming around the corner.

The proposed tram line, on this route, has been wisely postponed until AFTER electrification of the area.

12 hours ago, petermik said:

There is much much more to Pattaya than girls,Pattaya is a world class beach resort in the making,family friendly with an abundance of real Thai culture at its heart,take a walk anywhere to witness the friendliness of the locals and before you get very far a smiling songthaew driver will pull up to offer you a lift.

written with tounge -in -cheek   :smile:

Yeah.  I know.  If the beach water was actually clean to swim in, it could be quite nice.  But like much of Thailand it looks nice on the surface, has issues the more you look. Still a fun place for a holiday though.  I will postpone my holiday until next year.  Now that I just got hired on permanently I actually get paid for my vacation.

By the topic title I guessed that Pattaya was going to solve the traffic problem in Khon Kaen, but obviously there seems to be a Khon Kaen concept that can be applied to the Pattaya situation.

So, at the moment there is the tunnel under construction AND the extension of the #7 as a Pattaya By Pass under construction.

Instead of waiting for the effects of those huge projects, the thoughts about a tramline or even a sky-train-like way of transport are popping up.

My 5 pennies: Take half of the amount of Song taews from Pattaya's streets and divide them over the bigger Esan cities; the remaining 350 songtaews will be controlled by city hall, the drivers will get a proper salary AND they will no longer be enabled to perform private taxi rides. Fixed routes around town with proper bus-stops will be set up.

The 25-40 taximeters MUST use their meters and operate as such.

Tourbuses parked at every empty spot should be banned; it's not possible to ban the buses from the city, but parking should not be allowed.

Quite easy to solve the traffic problems in Pattaya:

A one way road system, busses only for pick up and drop off - after out of the city-, enforcing the rules of driving if the police get their ass out of the aircon boots they are sitting all day long,!

10 minutes ago, manhood said:

Quite easy to solve the traffic problems in Pattaya:

A one way road system, busses only for pick up and drop off - after out of the city-, enforcing the rules of driving if the police get their ass out of the aircon boots they are sitting all day long,!

All one way roads are two way roads in Pattaya.

Lazy cops !!!!!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

I am glad someone has figured a solution out.

I was under the illusion that a lot of the traffic problems were down to the hundreds of parked tour buses clogging the inside lanes of the main roads, instead of being parked off road, on one of the many empty sites. How stupid of me.

It will all change soon. After tomorrow there will also be large speedboats on trailers.