Why so much criticism of Thailand?

joeyg

37 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's all about the money, money, money, Thai's have had the life but not the money, as my wife has always said to me before moving here, "falang have money, but no life", "Thai's have no money, but have life", hence the reason I am here living the life, but with the money 555, she also used to say to me before moving here, "your money is my money, and my money is my money", still haven't worked that one out yet ?

LOL!!! Excellent !!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OP's opinion and assessment is his.  The way the question was posed it is obvious he thinks his assessment is the correct one.  Does not mean that is how things are.  This is a question I think should not have been asked.  It is not a question that you are going to get answers that most people agree on.  Waste of time in my opinion.  Just a question to get people riled up.

Your asking this forum why so much criticism of Thailand.  When you talk of criticism, I am assuming you are referring to articles you read or conversations you heard or had.  Were these conversations or articles not self explanatory?   Did you not understand the articles or conversations, so you had to come here for help?  I personally think you are being less than honest about why you are asking this question.

24 minutes ago, Strange said:

If WW3 happened right now, how safe is Thailand going to be for you with a US passport? 

If the US pissed off the world, how safe will you be in Thailand with your US passport? You think Thailand will harbor you? Keep you safe?

Most likely if the shit hit the fan like you believe, visa rules will change for us here in Thailand. They will not want us here. 

Im not ill informed, you don't even make any points. 

I don't understand.  What is your point.  And no offense.  I have to ask though are you currently on drugs or have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.  Again no offense intended.  It's a serious question.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I know no bad meeting some Americans that ride through my town :biggrin: I never said it's bad place IMO it's some of the Gov people in charge that are calling bad decisions like no fly zone in Syria, do they really think about what they are saying that could lead to war.

My son and daughter loved US holiday there arnd are going again, cause it's a big place. :biggrin:

And... http://www.alternet.org/story/48620/the_war_on_terror_is_the_leading_cause_of_terrorism

41 minutes ago, Strange said:

And Thailand will allow you to protect yourself, allow you to own property and protect it? Protect your wealth? Sweet jesus man I get it you are over it, but be careful cause you are exposing yourself to some problems. 

Can you be specific.

10 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I don't understand.  What is your point.  And no offense.  I have to ask though are you currently on drugs or have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.  Again no offense intended.  It's a serious question.

He makes a lot more sense than you do.

26 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Would you include tuk-tuk drivers in the "lovely & benign" group? What do you think of the concept of the "Thai price" when buying any local produce for which farangs are charged double what the locals pay? Or how about entrance fees to national parks? In the images the 20 baht ticket was for my Thai girlfriend and 200 baht one was for me. So I had to pay 10x the price for the same amenities. And then there's the proposed tourist arrival tax to consider: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2016/01/proposed-tourist-tax-under-fire/

That said there are indeed many Thais who are amiable and easy to get along with but I wouldn't say they were all like that.

entrance_fee_thai.jpg

entrance_fee_farang.jpg

This is a common thing, the Thai's just bring it out in the open, and I am not agreeing with being charged any different because we are falangs, but hell, it happens all over the world, Greece, Italy, Australia, Germany, people rip off tourists, falangs, or whatever you want to call us, I don't hold it against them, I just avoid the places that they charge 10 x the Thai price, seriously there is an upside, the woman are cheaper by the dozen 555

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I acknowledge, yeah England's gov buggered up too a puppet of American.

And l guess back on topic l don't criticize Thailand. :biggrin: 

Indeed.  I just though I'd open this topic up because I find all the ragging on Thailand a bit bewildering.

Just now, joeyg said:

And excellent memory too.  Kudos...

Apologies... TV can sometimes bring out the worst in me.  Like one of those people whose personality changes for the worse after they drink alcohol.  I'm actually ashamed of myself for being that petty.  And with regards to the actual topic, I like both Thailand and the USA.  My sister lives in California and I always have a great time when I visit.  Best restaurants. 

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:
29 minutes ago, rijb said:

He makes a lot more sense than you do.

No, he doesn't.  And neither do you.

Nancy. Shameful that people like you decide to open your mouthes. 

Edited by Strange

37 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Would you include tuk-tuk drivers in the "lovely & benign" group? What do you think of the concept of the "Thai price" when buying any local produce for which farangs are charged double what the locals pay? Or how about entrance fees to national parks? In the images the 20 baht ticket was for my Thai girlfriend and 200 baht one was for me. So I had to pay 10x the price for the same amenities. And then there's the proposed tourist arrival tax to consider: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2016/01/proposed-tourist-tax-under-fire/

That said there are indeed many Thais who are amiable and easy to get along with but I wouldn't say they were all like that.

entrance_fee_thai.jpg

entrance_fee_farang.jpg

First I won't get in a Tuk Tuk.  Been there done that. Having said that most were OK really.  I go to the markets almost daily shopping for produce.  Not only am I not charged double but from time to time a nice vendor will throw in a piece of fruit or something that I usually don't buy so I can try it.  Also knowing correct prices helps anywhere in the world.  Transacting mostly in Thai is a big plus.  Also joking around makes everything easier.

National parks?  Been there done that.  30 bhat ferry out to Koh Larn is a great day out to Free dive.

Did you know that locals get a deep discount, according to the zipcode on your drivers license, at Disneyland and Sea World.  Sometimes Free!!!

And I know 200 bhat = $5.70 outrageous.  Sometime ya gotta splurged though.  I mean get reckless!!! Hell it's hard to get a good microbrew in San Diego for that price.

Tourist arrival tax! I'm with you I would not pay it.  Ever again!!!! I'm feelin' ya dawg... LOL!!!

9 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The dude is talking about WW III and how that would impact visa rules in Thailand.  If WW III were to happen, visa rules would be the least of our problems. 

If you say so.

You give the 'dude' too much credit.

Edited by rijb

Just now, Berkshire said:
4 minutes ago, Strange said:

Nancy. Shameful that people like you decide to open your mouthes. 

You're a Trump supporter.  You have like zero credibility. 

And you are a liberal nancy. Go hide in your safe place.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The dude is talking about WW III and how that would impact visa rules in Thailand.  If WW III were to happen, visa rules would be the least of our problems. 

Im counter pointing the OP. Get off my nuts.