Steel prices

Crossy

Hey Crossy.  Not sure your construction plan but I used the round steel (3"?) for the poles embedded in concrete 16" walls then fencing up to the roof.  Anyway... we have happy chickens.  I also have specs for nesting boxes/roost if you like PM me.  Cheers.

Hi Crossy, thanks for the list.

I'm just about to order some steel for constructing my workbenches and storage shelving.

I was going to order the 3" X 3" of the rectangular stuff to weld up the benches.

Do you recon that's the way to go?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I've bought a bit of steel to build a home in Thailand over the years. It is quite clear to me that going in person and seeing the exact label tied to the steel bundle is crucial if you REALLY want the grade and strength of steel your home building contractor or structural engineer has specified. If you phone a national retailer, more often than not, that the grade quoted on the telephone is not always the grade you requested. Worse, but not shocking, is to have your specification written in Thai and go to the Thailand Builders Merchant Store and hand it to the clerks. You walk out to see the steel and they have quoted the price of a lower grade steel. 12mm SD40 is a good quality steel rebar. However SD40T is NOT the same foundry process nor the same strength.  Professional house builders in Isaan, few and far between, go to the builders merchant and see the steel when they order and check again when the steel arrives at the home building site. A D.I.Y. expat paying money for steel to build in any province in Thailand can do the same due diligence. Thank you Crossy for the update on prices of steel in Thailand. 

Thailand Steel Price switch to lower grade specifications.jpg

T.S.B.  Steel SD 40T at Home Improvement store NOT same grade as  SD40.jpg

I could be wrong, but it seems the higher tension strength steel has the threads or groves for the cement to adhere to, while the cheaper stuff has no groves.

I had a similar problem buying 14 mm high strength rebar. I went with the worker/ Forman to a new supply place and he rushed around ordering this and that (we had a list written in Thai which was disregarded). When I checked it was the wrong 14 mm rebar.....the smooth one.

Carlyai:  You are correct. The smooth steel is not as strong, and not for crucial parts of home building in Thailand. The Thai Government sends "weights and measures" inspectors to all sorts of builders merchants at least once a year. HereinThailand: It would be risky for a builders merchants to change actual tags. Thaiwatsadu and all the other stores spray paint onto steel bundles when they arrive to indicate the grade as per the tag. Now Chinese owned steel companies, even with a plant in Thailand is a different ball game in my observation. 

• 1 month later...

Box steel is available in Thailand to build a home in at least four different strengths of the same size. A 5" by 3.2mm box steel can be four different prices depending on the weight of the steel. A reputable builders merchants store will gladly show you your options. That price you see at Global House or Thai Watsadu on a 5" by 3.2mm  at 713 baht will be a light weight steel. When you really look at the tags and what might be stamped at the foundry you can see additional numbers which greatly impact the strength of the steel. If you are putting up a Blue Scope metal roof on a modest carport then buying a higher strength steel for roof support is not as critical if you have a slate roof or cement tile roof.  I check the paperwork, tags and stamps on any steel I buy for building a house in Buriram. It is more than the color painted on the end of the steel to determine strength of the steel. 

Buriram High Strength Box Steel Delivery.JPG

In my opinion when you build a home in Thailand you should consider what strength steel you buy or steel you list on The bill of quantities (sometimes referred to as the 'BoQ').  Just one example I see is where home builders in Isaan take short cuts is in the KG weight of C Channel Steel.  A 5" X 3.2 mm length of steel is easily sold in four different weight  (and strength) categories. 23-24kg is the least expensive. Then 32-33 kg, then 33-34 kg and a better strength for your home in Thailand would be the 35-36kg strength C channel steel. Now home builders in Buriram who switch from a B of Q to even cheaper 5" X 2.3mm or even 5" X 2.0mm is a different problem. 

• 3 weeks later...

i am looking at making a workbench using the 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 box section, but i want a steel top so can do welding on it. does anyone have any rough prices for sheet steel 5mm thick and 1500 x 1200mm.

also looking for prices for 9mm and 12mm rebar

thanks

• 9 months later...

I think the price of steel must have gone up recently, as 3 new house builds in my area are using wooden beams for the second floor and wooden frame. Before it would have been all steel.

Wooden floors are "softer" 

Steel construction uses different skills?

Maybe it is because they are houses moved from another place?
No, new houses. Just don't expect majority wooden houses out here, but 3 in the last few months.
Maybe the builders have a secret termite plan we don't know about.