Are they going through with the WS demolition?

Hal65

This has been an issue for years and will be an issue for the next years.

Apparently a 100 venues are involved and about 85-90 of them have had permits issued by city hall years ago.

It will take years of buying out and court-trials to reach the goal of totally clear WS's beach front.

21 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

This has been an issue for years and will be an issue for the next years.

Apparently a 100 venues are involved and about 85-90 of them have had permits issued by city hall years ago.

It will take years of buying out and court-trials to reach the goal of totally clear WS's beach front.

With the military in charge, they have and can make summary rulings that people have to accept.  The courts are fronts  only.

The mighty TVF Pointing Finger Of Justice has now turned from the deflated jet ski scam to the Walking St. businesses. We may expect some self-righteous fingering in every thread now. And whenever "The Authorities" try to right some other wrong (only for brown envelopes, heh heh), the Finger will simply sneer and point to the real issue.

pointing-finger.jpg

Edited by JSixpack

24 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's right, destroy Pattaya's main tourist attraction, that'll ensure the city's future.

In this modern information age, red light districts just can't be kept low key.  People post and photo too much and post things on line all the time.  Neglecting any morality considerations for the moment, countries and cities need to decide if they want the business or not.  If they want the business, simply institute zoning ordinances, and legalize things.  Then you have to sort out how you want to handle competition, bidding for licenses, organized crime influences, taxation versus tea money or kick backs or other types of corrupt payments, etc. 

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

In this modern information age, red light districts just can't be kept low key.  People post and photo too much and post things on line all the time.  Neglecting any morality considerations for the moment, countries and cities need to decide if they want the business or not.  If they want the business, simply institute zoning ordinances, and legalize things.  Then you have to sort out how you want to handle competition, bidding for licenses, organized crime influences, taxation versus tea money or kick backs or other types of corrupt payments, etc. 

Red light districts? i thought majority of the beach side was restaurants.

1 minute ago, LennyW said:

Red light districts? i thought majority of the beach side was restaurants.

Uh, one side of the street versus the other side?  I hope you are making a joke. But technically, you are right.  The majority of the stores may be restaurants, those seafood places, Simon Beer bar, the Beer garden etc.  But I think by any normal definition or intent, the other 50 or 60 go gos and adult entertainment places would qualify walking street as a red light district.  Heck, they can call it what they want.  I personally hope pattaya and thai officials don't bulldoze the place, don't try to change it to some family destination place.  I mean, without cleaning up the bay,  installing proper sewage treatment which would by definition almost require the demolition or major major renovation to every hotel and guest house and restaurant up and down just about every street in Pattaya near the beach.  I don't see the place being that attractive.  The hard working Thai ladies, and I guess to some extent men and ladyboys put the place on the map.

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

Uh, one side of the street versus the other side?  I hope you are making a joke. But technically, you are right.  The majority of the stores may be restaurants, those seafood places, Simon Beer bar, the Beer garden etc.  But I think by any normal definition or intent, the other 50 or 60 go gos and adult entertainment places would qualify walking street as a red light district.  Heck, they can call it what they want.  I personally hope pattaya and thai officials don't bulldoze the place, don't try to change it to some family destination place.  I mean, without cleaning up the bay,  installing proper sewage treatment which would by definition almost require the demolition or major major renovation to every hotel and guest house and restaurant up and down just about every street in Pattaya near the beach.  I don't see the place being that attractive.  The hard working Thai ladies, and I guess to some extent men and ladyboys put the place on the map.

The OP was specifically asking about the beach side buildings, not the whole of walking street.

I think I read somewhere that they will not tear down the seaside of WS despite it sits on public land.

To much of an attraction to just cut in half but I wouldn't mind, haven't been there for about 5 years despite I live here.

On another note; Where are all the big buses? Been away for overseas work and I was positive surprised to see must of them gone.

Nightlife and shopping malls are about all Pattaya has to offer..

The pitiful beach with the black and green sea water does qualify

as a tourist attraction...

If walking street was torn down that would be a severe blow to Pattaya...

No one and I mean No one comes to Pattaya for the beach except

for maybe the Russians and Thais...And no tourist comes to Pattaya

just to shop...

Pattaya needs walking street badly......

Edited by fforest1

7 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Nightlife and shopping malls are about all Pattaya has to offer..

The pitiful beach with the black and green sea water does qualify

as a tourist attraction...

If walking street was torn down that would be a severe blow to Pattaya...

No one and I mean No one comes to Pattaya for the beach except

for maybe the Russians and Thais...And no tourist comes to Pattaya

just to shop...

Pattaya needs walking street badly......

n1-Labor1.jpg

1 hour ago, wellred said:

The beach is probably as filthy as the Thames so if they get rid of all the nightlife venues what are people going to go to Pattaya for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be a significant change and would lessen the attraction for many people.   Won;t be the first time a rip roaring money making place went away for various reasons.

Just be prepared for a move of the attraction 'Walking Street' to Soi Bhuakow.

Within now and 10 years this will be the new Walking Street, twice as long as the current Walking Street and for sure car-free as well.

What now is called 'Walking Street' will become an attempt to be a boulevard with on the land-side posh restaurants, hotels and high-end branded shops and on the seaside a nice white beach with waving artificial palm-trees :)

39 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Just be prepared for a move of the attraction 'Walking Street' to Soi Bhuakow.

Within now and 10 years this will be the new Walking Street, twice as long as the current Walking Street and for sure car-free as well.

What now is called 'Walking Street' will become an attempt to be a boulevard with on the land-side posh restaurants, hotels and high-end branded shops and on the seaside a nice white beach with waving artificial palm-trees :)

So you too have missed the large land purchases on Buakhao by international hotel groups? Pretty sure they will acquiesce to a pedestrian-only thoroughfare with the coffin-dodging, singlet wearers flip-flopping their way along to Witherspoons for their monthly pie and a pint after the pension cheque comes in.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Any names to mention?

Holiday Inn are well into the construction of their 'Express' branded lodging on the west side between the hospital and the market end of Buakhao at Tai. That will give them 3 locations in the terminal-case Pattaya. I forget which the other one is but something up there with a Hilton or Marriott ring to it.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Holiday Inn are well into the construction of their 'Express' branded lodging on the west side between the hospital and the market end of Buakhao at Tai. That will give them 3 locations in the terminal-case Pattaya. I forget which the other one is but something up there with a Hilton or Marriott ring to it.

OMG! Those FOOLS! They just know nothing about DYING PATTAYA. Why don't these international corporations read the forum so that our economists can enlighten them as what's really going on here. No tourists, no beach, no infrastructure, pollution, rats, garbage overflowing, disgusting views, rampant crime, rudeness, haircuts with white sidewalls, runny eggs . . . . Yep, just gonna mean more ruins, like that albatross CentralFestival, where no shopper has ever been seen or just Looking Not Buying, and the dying Beach Rd. Hilton. Shophouses closed . . . potholes . . .  and now, NZ Ice Cream gone--proof of the downward spiral! I feel so sorry for Holiday Inn and those other idiots.

Edited by JSixpack

Hopefully the entertainment venues on the western side of Walking Street will be recognized as a major contribution to Pattaya,s nightlife scene and be allowed to remain. Any negative environmental problems caused by their presence can easily be solved by simple public health engineering solutions, namely toilets draining into a sump end then pumped into an interceptor running north along Walking Street to a pumping station serving that entire area. Not nuclear science, and a great alternative to having a half removed Walking Street !

13 hours ago, wellred said:

The beach is probably as filthy as the Thames so if they get rid of all the nightlife venues what are people going to go to Pattaya for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some parts of the London Thames are clean enough to support salmon and other fish. How long have you been away from Blighty

2 hours ago, onemorechang said:

You forgot dangerous  Soi dogs. :giggle: