What % of your diet is Thai food?

joeyg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BudRight said:

Then I pity your students. I'll be going now, I have work to do.

No need to get emotional or nasty.  This is an academic exchange.  You did show any supporting info with you "theories"   I think you should keep eating , thinking and living the way your are.  Thank God for "The Process of Natural Selection.":smile:  Don't hate me for being successful. 

5 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

I have to make pizzas for my son sometimes ,if I make alone I know what's in them plus I think they taste better than the ones I can buy here ,my son has to eat school food but at home I know he eats good food 

Nothin like homemade pizza.  My buddy found a pizza stone at one of the larger malls up in BKK some where.  The stone makes a big difference.  Only problem is his grandson wants pizza every day now. LOL...

32 minutes ago, BudRight said:

*sigh*

Those are random websites from crackpots. Glutamic acid is abundant amino acid in your body without which you would die.

You'll have to focus your hypochondria on something else.

Crackpots?  Again what is you line of work please.  Mine is Internal Medicine and teaching as well as being a researcher. at times and clinician.  Does every topic have to deteriorate into insults and a "weird pissing contest?!"

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The great thing about living in Bangkok is that there are plenty of non-Thai food options available both in restaurants and supermarkets.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes I lived there for a year.  In a major cosmopolitan city you can pretty much find anything.  "What percentage of Thai food do you eat"  Was the question though.

Yes I lived there for a year.  In a major cosmopolitan city you can pretty much find anything.  "What percentage of Thai food do you eat"  Was the question though.

Sorry, I forgot that bit. When I moved here 12 years ago it was about 75%, but the novelty has worn off, it's down to about 20%.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Joey, you are obviously a 'promoter' of your point of view.  Whether your P-O-V is totally correct in all cases, or sometimes correct, or never correct is immaterial to you.  

You want to sell your product which is YOURSELF.

I eat Thai bananas, mangoes, passionfruits, potatoes, eggplants, rice, chicken...etc.  So i'd say i eat about 90% Thai. I avoid sugar, about 75% of the time, same with MSG.  Never take tobacco, low alcohol consumption, very low animal fat and processed food, and thus far, feeling pretty good.  Biggest Thai health issue for me is solar radiation, for which i have a very low tolerance. 

20 minutes ago, jobin said:

Joey, you are obviously a 'promoter' of your point of view.  Whether your P-O-V is totally correct in all cases, or sometimes correct, or never correct is immaterial to you.  

You want to sell your product which is YOURSELF.

I eat Thai bananas, mangoes, passionfruits, potatoes, eggplants, rice, chicken...etc.  So i'd say i eat about 90% Thai. I avoid sugar, about 75% of the time, same with MSG.  Never take tobacco, low alcohol consumption, very low animal fat and processed food, and thus far, feeling pretty good.  Biggest Thai health issue for me is solar radiation, for which i have a very low tolerance. 

"

You want to sell your product which is YOURSELF."  

Sell my product?!  LOL when do I get paid.  Pretty funny though.  truth is I want to post less because it's pretty much a waste of valuable time.  The few rational intelligent interactions I have keep me coming back at least for now.

Ok I'll promote your point of view!  LOL the point is some of the things I discuss I am considered expert in.  And know how to get to the journal quotes or other good data supporting sites.  I really don't care what anyone believes is correct.  I know what is, mostly, after 8 years of schooling and 35 years of clinical practice and teaching.  I am considered expert in my field.  Don't hate me for being successful.

What is your profession, may I ask.    I 'm starting to think there is some weird inferiority complex that pervades the board.  Especially when one speaks from a position of knowledge and authority in a particular field.  Again what is your specialty please?

Edited by joeyg
speeling

6 minutes ago, Changwatchap said:

I just eat thai if I go out to a restaurant or food court. I have a kitchen at home and prefer to cook when possible, even if it is more expensive.

Cook Thai or Western style Food.  I thought it was more expensive cooking home at first but now I seem to be saving about 50 60% on food.  Maybe the veggie diet is a big part I think.

5-10%

Go to a mall in BKK and Thai food is hard to find except on the foodcourts. 

I like to eat meat/fish but not in a Thai dish since the meat is not what i call meat. Organmeat we feed to the dog/cat and the Thai pork has too much fat to my liking.

Thai fruit is great but full of chemicals so we grow our own.

Breakfast - I never eat Thai food first thing in the morning simply because I like my coffee, and it clashes horribly with spicy cooking. So I eat the usual suspects, cereal, toast and fruit.

Lunch - Most days I eat Thai food, noodle soup, som tam, sticky rice, various stir fries etc. All bought locally, eat in or takeout. About once a month I might buy some nice bread and ham and make a sandwich.

Dinner - Once again its mostly Thai. Either my wife's cooking or something bought from the local market. About once a week I will cook something western for a change. This normally coincides with my wife needing to eat something that doesn't appeal to me....

So to summarize, I would say I eat about 60% Thai food, but it will vary from week to week.

15 hours ago, kannot said:

Id  say its  totally down to more cash to spend now, when I was a kid  few  were fat, can see old videos mid 1970's, just didnt have enough spare  cash to buy  junk food. It was available though

And the kids played outside all day long even in the winter. Now they have machines glued to their face. And is not just the kids grownups too.

100% I think i live in Thailand if i remember correctly. Thai food more unhealthy than foreign food?  Is that why i see so many 200 pound and up foreigners rolling down the street that look as if they are about to drop dead? In the sixteen years i have lived here. I have very rarely if ever seen a foreigner eating in a REAL Thai restaurant. Likely less than fifty and that is counting every corner of Thaiand i have traveled to. My Thai wife oftens asks me why she sees so many foreigners eating expensive unhealthy foreign food. I ask the same question. Travel half way around the world and eat at Pizza Hut, KFC, Burger King or some German restaurant. The same goes for basic travel. Foreigners tend to follow each other like cattle. The same restaurants, the same bars, the same buses, the same trains, the same hotels /guesthouses. Why come here? I know the answer but afraid i might offend most here with the truth.

Edited by Mitkof Island

23 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

About 10% of the time when i'm forced to eat it.

Why does Thai food always taste better in the west ?

I don't know where you are eating over here, but Thai food in the west is rarely a patch on decent Thai food in Thailand. It is invariably dumbed down for western palates.

Edited by Jip99

13 hours ago, joeyg said:

Actually sounds pretty good.  For me I'd edit out the meat and pretty healthy I think.

I worked many years in the fitness business and had a boss who used to, perhaps still does, eat according to his blood group. He may live longer than me, but I bet it will feel like it too. Only brown rice, no butter, no sugar, no ice in his drinks etc etc......yawn.

In the UK, a mates Dad had an older brother who became a diabetic. The doc told him if he lived on cardboard and grass he would live another 5 years. If he ate anything he wanted, perhaps 3 years. He ate what he wanted and lived for another 4 years and enjoyed a happy exit.

I've said this before, so my apologies to those who are experiencing deja vu. I exercised 3 times a day 6 days a week until I was 49, then:

Stroke

Heart condition/disease

Pneumonia

Diabetes

There is no silver bullet with diet or exercise or a combination of the two. You are only fooling yourself if you think otherwise. When your time is up it's up, enjoy what you can when you can in moderation is diet enough. Q.E.D

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

I am a Physician, Practiced Integrated Medicine, taught Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Evaluation, as well as Clinical Nutrition. I have found Natural News, not perfect but a good source of information for patients and students.  Thank You for you time.

All power to you, but even Doctor's aren't perfect and don't have all the answers, just as fitness professionals like myself don't.

Last year a Caucasian doctor advised me to leave the polluted city I live in. When I left the surgery I saw her standing outside smoking a cigarette....

1 minute ago, freebyrd said:

All power to you, but even Doctor's aren't perfect and don't have all the answers, just as fitness professionals like myself don't.

Last year a Caucasian doctor advised me to leave the polluted city I live in. When I left the surgery I saw her standing outside smoking a cigarette....

Worked with Physicians for 20+ years, like everywhere else, some are

healthy, some smokers, some overweight, some drank way to much, not

to mention the pill poppers ;  people first than comes their occupation.

1 minute ago, little mary sunshine said:

Worked with Physicians for 20+ years, like everywhere else, some are

healthy, some smokers, some overweight, some drank way to much, not

to mention the pill poppers ;  people first than comes their occupation.

People first - like the quack that left the baby's head in his mother?

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Cook Thai or Western style Food.  I thought it was more expensive cooking home at first but now I seem to be saving about 50 60% on food.  Maybe the veggie diet is a big part I think.

Yeah I cook basic stuff, meat, veg, and pasta or rice, its nothing fancy. It would be cheaper but there isn't a good place to get ingredients around here, just villamarket which has a high markup.

My food budget is about 400bht/day, I think if I just ate Thai from street/foodcourt it would be 200-250/day. 

I mean I really like thai food but it's just too intense for me to eat every day. I think that's why Thai people are so skinny.  

Edited by Changwatchap