Advice on transfer of visa to new passport obtained outside Thailand

After reading conflicting answers elsewhere, I thought I would try here once more.

Briefly, my old passport, containing a visa, an extension of stay until 29 October 2017 and a single re-entry permit, was almost full when I returned to the U.K. last month. While I was in the U.K. I obtained a new passport and presented both the new and old passports on arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport last weekend. My new passport was stamped admitted until 29 October 2017 and the immigration officer wrote 'Visa in old passport Page 8''next to the stamp. I tried to ask about the need to transfer the extension of stay stamp from the old passport to the new one, but the immigration officer shrugged his shoulders. I asked another one and he was confused, so I gave up. I tried calling immigration at Chaengwattana, but that didn't help much either.

Anyway, I need to get a new single re-permit entry to visit China next month. My query is two-fold.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that I must transfer the original extension of stay to the new passport, or is it possible to travel using both the new and old passports?

Secondly, is it also necessary to get a letter from the British Embassy authorizing the transfer of the stamp, given that the new passport already has an entry stamp in it from immigration at Suvarnibhumi last weekend?

Thank you very much in anticipation of concise answers from people who have faced the same situation when returning to Thailand from abroad on a new passport.

Cheers.

There are options to the answers given and it will really depend on your local immigration  office.

Yes you can travel with a new passport and the visa extension in the old passport, The old passport is only cancelled for travel.

That said, it is tidier to have the extension stamps transferred and you need to go anyway to get the re-entry permit. I would just what they do when you submit the TM8 and your 2 passports.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

/same question,,,but now april 2018......i have an extention of stay in thailand till december 2018,,,i am in uk at the moment returning to thailand 6th may 2018...i have a new passport just issued,,upon arrival at bkk what happens?do i just get a stamp in then go to my local immigration office and get my visa put into my new passport.do i neeed to go to bangkok for some documents,stamps??????anybody that knows deffinatly what to do i would be very gratefull.regards Dave..

For your arrival in Thailand, write the extension number into the field for visa number on the arrival card. Give both the old and the new passport to the immigration official, who will probably put the arrival stamp into your old passport. Then go to your local immigration office for an annotation of some details from your old passport into the new passport and the transfer of the extension stamp and the arrival stamp to the new passport.

I assume you also have a re-entry permit to keep your extension intact when returning to Thailand. It is the re-entry permit number that goes on the TM6 entry card. Your local immigration will transfer the extension stamp (along with some other stamps and an annotation). They probably will not transfer a multiple re-entry permit, so you will need to continue to use two passports for the life of the re-entry permit if you travel abroad again during that time.

• Like 1

When going to Immigration to request the transfer of the extension stamp does one need a letter from one own county embassy?

Also do they just transfer the extension of stay stamp?... What happens to the original visa that the extension of stay stamp is based on?... does it also get transferred?

What Immigration form is used to request the transfer?

Edited by sfokevin

8 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

When going to Immigration to request the transfer of the extension stamp does one need a letter from one own county embassy?

Also do they just transfer the extension of stay stamp?... What happens to the original visa that the extension of stay stamp is based on?... does it also get transferred?

What Immigration form is used to request the transfer?

You need a letter from your embassy requesting that immigration transfer your stamps.

They transfer your current extension and most recent entry stamp. The will do a stamp that they will enter info about your old passport and your visa.

Form download: Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need a letter from your embassy requesting that immigration transfer your stamps.

They transfer your current extension and most recent entry stamp. The will do a stamp that they will enter info about your old passport and your visa.

Form download: Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

Photographs needed?

Passport copies etc?

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Photographs needed?

Passport copies etc?

I transferred mine in 2016 at Chiang Rai. I handed over both Passports and nothing else. There was no charge. There were 2 stamps placed in my new passport. Mine is an Australian passport. The Embassy put a stamp in the old passport and no letter was required.

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Photographs needed?

No

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Passport copies etc?

Copy of new and old passport photo page and a copy of every page of the old passport that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it.

5 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

And any fees official or otherwise?...

No official fee. Some offices may charge 500 baht to do it.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Copy of new and old passport photo page and a copy of every page of the old passport that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it.

No official fee. Some offices may charge 500 baht to do it.

But then you have to also get a new re-entry permit(s).

Is it the usual process for that or is it free also?

On 4/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, ubonjoe said:
On 4/8/2018 at 3:27 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

So the whole passport then :shock1:

Not unless every used page has a stamp or visa for Thailand on it. No need to copy empty pages.

I've just checked and it IS every page of my old passport except the 2 blank pages at the back.

• 2 weeks later...

/same question,,,but now april 2018......i have an extention of stay in thailand till december 2018,,,i am in uk at the moment returning to thailand 6th may 2018...i have a new passport just issued,,upon arrival at bkk what happens?do i just get a stamp in then go to my local immigration office and get my visa put into my new passport.do i neeed to go to bangkok for some documents,stamps??????anybody that knows deffinatly what to do i would be very gratefull.regards Dave..#

Thanks everyone...i now have my new passport,i asked the passport office if i needed a letter from them to give to pattaya immigration and they said no..i phoned thai embassey in london if i needed anything and they said just take both passports to my local immigration and they will change over my visa?????

so what do u think????????

7 hours ago, davjensteph said:

same question,,,but now april 2018......i have an extention of stay in thailand till december 2018,,,i am in uk at the moment returning to thailand 6th may 2018...i have a new passport just issued,,upon arrival at bkk what happens?

You will show both passports on entry to use the re-entry permit in your old passport. You will then be stamp in until the date your extension ends in November.

Then you will need to go to the immigration office where your extension was issued to have the stamps transferred to your new passport.

Dependent upon the office you use they may want a letter from UK embassy requesting the stamp transfer. If you contact the embassy they will send the letter to you by EMS.

1 minute ago, davjensteph said:

Oh really!!!! when i got my re-entry b4 leaving i asked the woman what i do if i get a new passport whilst in uk,she said just bring both passports in and they will change over stamp...

Mates who have been issued new passports were told by Jomtien Immigration they need the embassy letter and they had to go away and get one and go back a week later.

Let me know what happens with you not having one as I am waiting on a new passport and will have to get my stamps transferred at Jomtien.

Hi ...i mailed british embassey in bangkok 2 days ago and got a reply the next day,the lady said i need a :pro-forma:

form from them no charge,,she said if i sent her my e.mail address she would send one to my home address in thailand

so i would have it when i arrive back..i sent e-mail address and today she thanked me for sending it and said it would get posted via EMS this morning.26/04/.2018...which i thought was very nice of her....now just to wait n see if all goes well..

let you know...