Advice on transfer of visa to new passport obtained outside Thailand

On 4/26/2018 at 9:16 PM, davjensteph said:

Hi ...i mailed british embassey in bangkok 2 days ago and got a reply the next day,the lady said i need a :pro-forma:

form from them no charge,,she said if i sent her my e.mail address she would send one to my home address in thailand

so i would have it when i arrive back..i sent e-mail address and today she thanked me for sending it and said it would get posted via EMS this morning.26/04/.2018...which i thought was very nice of her....now just to wait n see if all goes well..

let you know...

That's what mates of mine have done also

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...update on changing visa to my new passport.........I contacted british embassy in Bangkok,she sent me a letter free of charge,its called a pro-forma...someone has to sign for it when it arrives at your address,,just fill it in [easy]..went to immigration jomtien she gave me another form easy to fill in..copied both passport face pages,went to desk 8,where you do your retirement extention of stay,,she told me to go and photo copy 4 pages from old passport,sign all copies and come back tomorrow after 2pm,all done no hassle...e-mail for Bangkok [email protected]

the lady is called Vee.....send an e-mail ask for the pro-forma and write your name and address..and u will have no problems....hope this helps you guys.....

No just face pages and she folded 4 pages of visa"s and that was it...arrival stamp was in new passport...just give both passports to immigration at the airport,make sure you open your old passport at the visa and re-entry stamped page.otherwise he might just syamp u in on 30 day...tell him you have visa..hope all goes as well for u as it did me...

• Thanks 1

All good info everyone but a mite confusing and conflicting so this will probably confuse even more..
In my case, my old passport containing my visa will expire in November 2018 and the subsequent visa will also expire on the same date.
Since I need to go back to Australia unexpectedly next week, and since I'll need a new passport anyway because my old passport containing the visa will have less than the required 6 months needed to enter left on it, I'm wondering where I'll stand.
There will be no stamps to transfer because I'll be leaving within 90 days of my arrival but my current visa is multi entry so if I'm permitted the transfer of my old visa to my passport upon arrival in BKK, will they also transfer the multi entry permit?
I'll only be away for approximately 1 month. 

2 hours ago, kellio said:

Since I need to go back to Australia unexpectedly next week, and since I'll need a new passport anyway because my old passport containing the visa will have less than the required 6 months needed to enter left on it, I'm wondering where I'll stand.
There will be no stamps to transfer because I'll be leaving within 90 days of my arrival but my current visa is multi entry so if I'm permitted the transfer of my old visa to my passport upon arrival in BKK, will they also transfer the multi entry permit?
I'll only be away for approximately 1 month.

Since you are from Australia you only need a passport valid for your length of stay.

There will be no stamp transfer done on entry to the country. You will show your both passports on entry to use your valid visa or re-entry permit in the old one and immigration will stamp you into the country in the new one.

Then if you have a extension of stay issued by immigration you would need to have you you stamps transferred at the office that issued it. If you have a valid multiple entry visa you would not have any stamps that needed to be transferred and you would show your old passport on entry until the visa expires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1