Horrifying fatal crash caught on camera after minivan is knocked off road in Thailand

webfact

Horrifying fatal crash caught on camera after minivan is knocked off road by car undertaking on hard shoulder

BY DANIEL O'MAHONY

hh.jpg

Video screenshot

One person was killed while the driver and two others passengers escaped injury in the crash in Thailand

LOPBURI: -- This is the terrifying moment an out of control driver RAMS into a minivan full of passengers, spinning both vehicles off the road.

Shocking dashcam footage captures the silver saloon car appearing to the undertake on the hard shoulder after getting stuck behind the white minibus.

But at the last second the driver makes a sickening swerve back into the inside lane - slamming into the rear of the bus and sending it careering across four lanes into incoming traffic.

It ploughed into a ditch while the car spun out of control onto a nearby grass verge after the smash on October 29 in Lopburi, Thailand.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/horrifying-dashcam-video-shows-minivan-9173975

-- Mirror 2016-11-02

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any comments on the role of the camera car hogging the right-hand lane in the lead up to the accident?

Would the outcome have been any different if the camera car had been in the left hand lane so the van didn't have to pass him on the left?

If that had been the case the silver car would have been passing the van whilst still on the tarmac.

21 minutes ago, berybert said:

Doubt he was trying to overtake on the hard shoulder. Probably fell asleep and got pushed back on the road because of the drainage by the side of the road.  Drunk or drugged up. Just another day in paradise.

The van driver seems to be driving ok and it looks as the driver of the silver sedan tried to overtake on the left shoulder causing the accident.

Back home in Oz many large trucks have 2 small signs on the back, the one that points to the right says "Passing Side" the one pointing to the left says "Suicide" Thais need to take a long hard think along those lines, I see it way too often, impatient idiots trying to overtake on the wrong side of vehicles.

In the video you see a movable speed bollard  sign on the left protruding out from the shoulder of the access way,

1 )  The driver of the camera vehicle is traveling slower than the van , so that driver never used his mirror to see what was happening behind him / her , (courtesy to other road users , not here)

2) The driver of the silver car  could not judge distance  could not look ahead when he she sees the bollard coming up , their reaction to distance travelled towards the bollard causes them to panic and veer right into the van,

3) Van driver was also not using his  / her mirrors to see what was around them, no attempt by the mini van to apply the brake unless the brake lights were not working, 

All round a typical day driving in Thailand skill set and use of mirrors not evident, no idea to look ahead or behind 

something seems wrong with how quickly the van goes to it's rim on that wheel. that and the driver doesn't recover at all.... but still...to the rim really fast. don't you think? 

Edited by maewang99

Thais drivers either need not learn or follow the Highway Code.

The two obvious behaviour in their driving habits point to this fact:  overtaking on the left, and not giving way to traffic on the right when driving into a roundabout.

1 hour ago, TheMysteriousMrTesla said:

Any comments on the role of the camera car hogging the right-hand lane in the lead up to the accident?

Would the outcome have been any different if the camera car had been in the left hand lane so the van didn't have to pass him on the left?

If that had been the case the silver car would have been passing the van whilst still on the tarmac.

We will never know, we were not there, so why jump to any conclusions.

It is all too common for Thai drivers just to exist in their own little bubble when driving, oblivious to what is going on around them.

Camera car driving slow in the right lane.....i dont care, my cruise control is set and i am okay.

Silver car swerving back into the left lane.......who put that mini van there, not up to me to use brakes.

Mini van driver asleep/on the phone........made no attempt to brake or steer out of the swerve.

All could have so easily been avoided.

1 hour ago, TheMysteriousMrTesla said:

Absolutely agree; the car with the Dashcam was a definite contributor to this accident; if he had been in the correct, left, lane the minibus driver could have safely overtaken him and then moved into the left lane to allow the silver car passage.

That said of course the Minivan should not have undertaken the camera car in the first place.

All 3 drivers are at fault to various degrees.

Patrick

not the brakes, the wheel is running on the rim from the gitgo.... and he steers into the skid..... but it still seems to me that the tire is blown way too easily and too fast..... or maybe I have spent too much time in my Ranger 4x4 but.... the rim thing.. someone else comment on it please.  the wheel goes to the rim way too fast I think.  

by the way... that's also good advise right there...no vans... stick to 4x4's. and no complaints at all on my 10 year old Thai built Ford Ranger.. No. 1 in the PI still I think.  even over the Hilux there.  but maybe not so stylish anymore after Duterte!

Edited by maewang99

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

The van driver seems to be driving ok and it looks as the driver of the silver sedan tried to overtake on the left shoulder causing the accident.

Heck, your good. Did you also ascertain that the sun came up in the east this morning?

It is of course all on the silver car (I hope the driver was the one that perished). Although lane discipline elsewhere would suggest that the dash-cam vehicle was also in the wrong for lane-hogging and that the minivan shouldn't have been undertaking either, both of these (while illegal according to the Thai highway code) are typically accepted. Even police do it.

p.s. I like the lane discipline stuff but it is Thailand.

I guess I am wrong about the rear wheel on the rim.... it's several issues, the van is not compensating at all.

Edited by maewang99

I see an idiot with the dash cam in the outside lane causing the mini bus to inside lane overtake then Mr Impatient in the Ford ices the cake. So i see 2 causes,main one being Mr Superior with his bloody Camera in the wrong lane, sorry but there are too many Dash Cams used for the wrong reasons these days.Clowns on Bikes and Mo Cycles mainly.

30 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Heck, your good. Did you also ascertain that the sun came up in the east this morning?

It is of course all on the silver car (I hope the driver was the one that perished). Although lane discipline elsewhere would suggest that the dash-cam vehicle was also in the wrong for lane-hogging and that the minivan shouldn't have been undertaking either, both of these (while illegal according to the Thai highway code) are typically accepted. Even police do it.

my appologies I didn't realise you were here or to upset you.

2 hours ago, leeneeds said:

In the video you see a movable speed bollard  sign on the left protruding out from the shoulder of the access way,

1 )  The driver of the camera vehicle is traveling slower than the van , so that driver never used his mirror to see what was happening behind him / her , (courtesy to other road users , not here)

2) The driver of the silver car  could not judge distance  could not look ahead when he she sees the bollard coming up , their reaction to distance travelled towards the bollard causes them to panic and veer right into the van,

3) Van driver was also not using his  / her mirrors to see what was around them, no attempt by the mini van to apply the brake unless the brake lights were not working, 

All round a typical day driving in Thailand skill set and use of mirrors not evident, no idea to look ahead or behind 

Point 3: whilst agreeing that the van driver had carried out a dangerous manoeuvre by passing on the left, why do you think he should have been applying his brakes? He was shunted from behind.

Generally, driving in Thailand can be a gamble as three things can happen at any time:

Overtaking

Undertaking

Swervertaking

The massive problem here is as follows:

The rule of the road here is keep left

The reality is, drive right: the undertaking van and the car with the dashcam driving in the right hand lane illustrate that very well.

I am sure everyone here knows the other massive hazard on Thai roads: lunatics overtaking at a grossly inappropriate moment whose evasive action is to remain in the wrong lane and flash their headlights to tell oncoming traffic to get out of their way. Put that activity on a blind bend and there's double trouble: a bus did that to me on my first ever return drive from Surin to Bangkok; without a hard shoulder I would have perished along with Mrs todlad. 

Edited by todlad

3 hours ago, TheMysteriousMrTesla said:

Too many "if only" on Thai roads... The carnage will, unfortunately, continue

3 hours ago, maewang99 said:

something seems wrong with how quickly the van goes to it's rim on that wheel. that and the driver doesn't recover at all.... but still...to the rim really fast. don't you think? 

Maybe just me but the back rear tyre of the mini van seems to burst. Possibly from being shunted sideways by the silver car. Hard to recover when over 80kmh

4 hours ago, TheMysteriousMrTesla said:

Please anyone. What do you do if you are cruising along at 80 kph in the clear left lane, as was the minibus,  and there is a car doing 70 in the right lane, as is the dashcam car. I personally would carry on in my lane, it is not me going too fast, it is him/her going too slow. In this incident unfortunately there was the tosser in the silver car.

20 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

Maybe just me but the back rear tyre of the mini van seems to burst. Possibly from being shunted sideways by the silver car. Hard to recover when over 80kmh

Can you have a front rear tyre? LOL

2 hours ago, trogers said:

Thais drivers either need not learn or follow the Highway Code.

The two obvious behaviour in their driving habits point to this fact:  overtaking on the left, and not giving way to traffic on the right when driving into a roundabout.

They need to learn to drive period. Just tearing along having no respect for other road users. They never earned their 2nd most dangerous ineffective motoring skills in the entire world for nothing. 

Irregardless of who's fault it was the time surely has come for something to stop these endless tragedies from happening.

RIP

I think its silly to blame the dash cam car, perhaps he was already going the speed limit, he did not need to move left.

I think people missed out on a crucial detail that in the beginning, a man ran across the road. Perhaps they were travelling at the same speed, both cars had to slow down as a man ran across the road, the dash cam car had to slow down even more because the man was last on the right lane. Hence that is the point where the van sped up past the dash cam car.

The last car which caused the crash probably did not see the man crossing the road, and was obviously speeding, thought he could overtake on the most left lane which is not a proper lane. As you know, many speeding drivers like to follow so close that they can't see whats going on up front, the last car swerve left to try to overtake only to be block by a triangular road warning sign (13 sec), he swerved back without reducing speed enough which then cause the crash.

The fault lies squarely on the last car.