Actress Tippi Hedren describes how Hitchcock sexually assaulted her in new memoir

webfact

Actress Tippi Hedren describes how Hitchcock sexually assaulted her in new memoir

606x341_348393.jpg

LOS ANGELES: -- American actress Tippi Hedren has claimed that British director Alfred Hitchcock sexually assaulted and harassed her when they worked together in the 1960s.

In a new memoir, she describes in detail the incidents already alluded to in interviews years earlier.

It chronicles her rise from fashion model to movie star, when Hitchcock spotted her and cast her in The Birds. She says his obsession with her led to an assault in a limousine, “With no warning, he threw himself on top of me and tried to kiss me,” she wrote. She said she pushed him off and left the vehicle.

In another incident on the set of Marnie she said he grabbed her and put his hands on her.

“It was sexual, it was perverse, and it was ugly, and I couldn’t have been more shocked and more repulsed,” she wrote.

When she turned down his advances, she said he threatened to ruin her career.

Addressing the past, she wrote, “it was the early 1960s. Sexual harassment and stalking were terms that didn’t exist back then.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-02

6 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Terrible actress , in 2 of his 3 worst films. Fits his type though: cool blonde in the style of Kelly, Bergman, Novak, Miles, Saint .

I like 'The Birds' but agree with you that 'Marnie' was awful. She was never a great actress, but Kelly and Marie-Saint were dreadful as well. 

The stories about Hitchcock and Hedren have been around for a long time, I don't think anyone would dispute the fact he was a bit of a perv'. 

In a brave newfeminist-dominated world where an attempted kiss and cuddle with a grown woman half a century ago can put you behind bars, an awful lot of us must be grateful that we never became rich and famous.

Cosby, Trump, and now Hitchcock.  Flocks of 70 year-old women popping up out of nowhere decades after the fact, making uncorroborated claims. The media launches on a witch hunt. Why? Funny, however, how the media ignores and cooperates in covering up the rapes and assaults by Bill Clinton and Kirk Douglas.  Couldn't be because of their politics, could it?

5 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

She doesn't get it. Hitchcock was gay, as any nuanced reading of his films and words reveals. Perhaps he was experimenting with himself, but more likely he wasn't trying it on at all, just being intimidating. His motive, as always: pure misogyny.

There's nothing to suggest he was gay, he had both a wife and daughter and never displayed any gay tendencies. Trouble was he was part of the old Hollywood machine, and we all know what sordid things went on in the Golden Age of Hollywood. I do think that Tippi is over egging the sexual assault bit. A passionate lunge in a car, or a caress of the hand is hardly a big offence or comparable with rape or even the casting couch used by directors and producers for their own sexual gratifications. Hitch became besotted by his muse. It happens. Only problem was Tippi wasn't having any of it and has been bleating on about it after her career hit the skids. Same thing happened to George Lazenby when he fell out with the Bond producers - they made sure casting agents didn't give him a call for pissing them off. Get over it Tippi, it happened over 50 years ago and was no big deal then, luv.

1 hour ago, monkey4u said:

Why do some women ait for so long to announce they were  attacked

Take the cases of Rolf Harris and Bill Cosby

Were the victims waiting to claim more compensation 

Courage in numbers. Women really play the shame game sadly. As in Bill C's case they see themselves trying to make a case against somebody with deep pockets plus a lack of witnesses. It boils down to a she said he said situation. I see Bill C is taking the 3 monkeys defense. Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil. 

Edited by elgordo38

5 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

She doesn't get it. Hitchcock was gay, as any nuanced reading of his films and words reveals. Perhaps he was experimenting with himself, but more likely he wasn't trying it on at all, just being intimidating. His motive, as always: pure misogyny.

19 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

There's nothing to suggest he was gay, he had both a wife and daughter and never displayed any gay tendencies. Trouble was he was part of the old Hollywood machine, and we all know what sordid things went on in the Golden Age of Hollywood. I do think that Tippi is over egging the sexual assault bit. A passionate lunge in a car, or a caress of the hand is hardly a big offence or comparable with rape or even the casting couch used by directors and producers for their own sexual gratifications. Hitch became besotted by his muse. It happens. Only problem was Tippi wasn't having any of it and has been bleating on about it after her career hit the skids. Same thing happened to George Lazenby when he fell out with the Bond producers - they made sure casting agents didn't give him a call for pissing them off. Get over it Tippi, it happened over 50 years ago and was no big deal then, luv.

I suspect that in ddavidovsky's mind if a man is artistically gifted, witty, and speaks with an English accent, then he must be gay.

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I suspect that in ddavidovsky's mind if a man is artistically gifted, witty, and speaks with an English accent, then he must be gay.

Artistically gifted is a good indicator, but I wouldn't limit it to an English accent. Fact is, the list is mind-boggling by any measure. Most people have little idea. You just have to understand their code.

Plenty of indicators with Hitchcock. Not least the fact that he once said "if I hadn’t met Alma at the right time, I could have become a poof". His marriage to Alma was platonic and professional. In any case, you only have to work back from the blatant misogyny in all his films, and consider his preferrence for working with gay actors (Cary Grant, Anthony Perkins, Michael Redgrave, Lawrence Olivier, Charles Laughton, John Gielgud, Jon Finch etc) and the sexually ambigious roles he gave to others (like James Stewart) and it all adds up. Next time you see a Hitchcock film, look closely and  you'll see it quite clearly.

47 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Artistically gifted is a good indicator, but I wouldn't limit it to an English accent. Fact is, the list is mind-boggling by any measure. Most people have little idea. You just have to understand their code.

Plenty of indicators with Hitchcock. Not least the fact that he once said "if I hadn’t met Alma at the right time, I could have become a poof". His marriage to Alma was platonic and professional. In any case, you only have to work back from the blatant misogyny in all his films, and consider his preferrence for working with gay actors (Cary Grant, Anthony Perkins, Michael Redgrave, Lawrence Olivier, Charles Laughton, John Gielgud, Jon Finch etc) and the sexually ambigious roles he gave to others (like James Stewart) and it all adds up. Next time you see a Hitchcock film, look closely and  you'll see it quite clearly.

You missed Farley Granger off that gay list: both in real life and in respect of the subtext ;Srangers on a Train and Rope ( Hitchcock at his very best).

Edited by Prbkk
Typo

Hitch and Roger Ailes bookends could be a popular gift this holiday season.  Oh wait, there are no books anymore.

10 hours ago, CharlieK said:

True or not, it seems all you need to do these day is claim sexual harassment and this sells books! 

Indeed.  For the past 20 years or so it was "So-and-so was actually gay" and so new biographies of celebs and public persons were published.  Now that alternative sexual preferences have gone mainstream maybe "he was a pervert" is the new selling point publishers are going for.

17 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

In a brave newfeminist-dominated world where an attempted kiss and cuddle with a grown woman half a century ago can put you behind bars, an awful lot of us must be grateful that we never became rich and famous.

I'd take the risk...

12 hours ago, Prbkk said:

You missed Farley Granger off that gay list: both in real life and in respect of the subtext ;Srangers on a Train and Rope ( Hitchcock at his very best).

How did I forget Strangers On a Train? The homo-erotic pickup, the ditching of the wife, the bitter and twisted bachelor-aesthete who must be nearly 40 and lives with his parents.. Hitch had no idea how transparent he was being here.

Evidently Tippi had no idea who she was dealing with, but only saw her own sense of victimisation, spurred on by the boundless sympathy that modern outrage-driven society offers for their stories.

WHAT! AGAIN?

Is she hard up for attention.This all came out in a movie called 'Hitch' some time ago.She was pretty forth coming about the details too,and i dont remember any of the Hitchcock estate suing her over it.

Piss poor actress,weak as water,and a cardboard cut out of Kim Novak,and Grace Kelly.

This was the 60's - 70's .

Anyone who remembers that time will also remember the flocks of teenage "Groupies" and others who screamed for the attention of their idols - the Beatles, the Rolling Stones ...... anyone with power or authority, whoever; virtually and often quite literally throwing their knickers at the object of their obsession and willing to do anything to get into personal contact.

Of course many of these "idols" took advantage of the opportunities - a "perquisite of the job" sort of attitude

Now, 40 years later, these same women are increasingly "coming forward" to claim sexual assault or even rape to excuse or rationalise in their own minds what they, at that time, actually initiated.

Patrick

13 hours ago, p_brownstone said:

Now, 40 years later, these same women are increasingly "coming forward" to claim sexual assault or even rape to excuse or rationalise in their own minds what they, at that time, actually initiated.

On a positive note, a few days after David Bowie died a woman came forward and told how when she was 15 he took her up to his room and took her virginity, and she has absolutely no misgivings about it at all.   Awww, ain't that sweet?