Shocking footage from Thailand shows lorry crossing double lines on bend in the wet to overtake as cars approach

webfact

Shocking footage shows lorry crossing double lines on bend in the wet to overtake as cars approach

BY NICK YORK

lo.jpg

Image: Video screenshot

In the video, a maximum weight Volvo articulated truck is shown overtaking a Hino truck on double yellow lines

A huge semi-trailer has been filmed trying to overtake another massive truck - on a bend, in the rain and crossing double lines.

The risky maneuver was filmed on a highway in Thailand where roads are known for among the worst for deadly traffic accidents in the world.

Recent data from the World Health Organisation showed Thailand had 32.6 deaths per 100,000 population compared with 10.6 in the US and only 2.9 in the UK.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/shocking-footage-shows-lorry-crossing-9190058

-- MIrror 2016-11-04

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the rain, going up hill.

Pretty much a normal event that probably occurs dozens of times a day in Thailand. The only thing missing is a moto on the left side of the road, travelling in the wrong direction.

25 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

I tried to tell the wife what these yellow lines were for and what intermittent lines were for.she replied oh I thought it was to save paint.thank god she can't drive or ride else I would be a widow very quickly.

Reminds of:

1.   An incident 2 decades back in Pattaya. Existing Second Road all resurfaced, proper gutters and footpaths installed. Workmen painting a zebra crossing on the new tarmac. 

Someone asks 'does it have any meaning?' Young supervising engineer replies 'I'm copying this from the movies so the new road will look very professional.  Question repeated 'does it have any meaning?' Response, 'no'. 

All of the above ignoring the fact that zebra crossings (including in Thailand) are officially and exactly designated and officially recorded and approved.

2.   Maybe 10 years back several new pedestrian lights installed, same road. Button for pedestrians to push to change the lights so traffic will stop located higher than average adult head height. Why? The designer decided that normal height would just mean kids playing games and stopping the traffic for no reason, just having fun.

Never mind that kids need to cross busy roads also, and just ignoring that parents and society has a responsibility to teach kids appropriate good behavior, in any country. 

There were complaints. At some locations the button was relocated to normal standard height.

There's a different video of the dangerous drivers of Thailand uploaded daily to the internet as the car camera becomes more popular. The Mirror also reported this one a few days ago http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/951546-horrifying-fatal-crash-caught-on-camera-after-minivan-is-knocked-off-road-in-thailand/

Thaivisa could make a sub forum for all the videos.

56 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

The total despicable ugliness and indifference, being the worst features of thais, comes out in their driving habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you say driving habits are sometimes a reflection personality and intelligence?

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Not shocking, just normal Thai style driving. I doubt it will be different in 100 years time

Ha! beat me to it. Sadly yes, it is not shocking in Thailand for more than a half hour. And you are right; in a 100 years will probably be the same. There will need to be some serious root deep issues dealt with in Thailand before any significant change happens.

This type of mentality comes from the top, no education, no enforcement, has desensitized the driving popular that this type of behavior is normal and excepted.  They gravitate from motorbike to vehicles taking the same attitude not knowing a vehicle is a weapon.  Government is the problem!

I had the same thing happen to me when driving from Ranong to Phuket.  There was a blind hump in the road and when I went over the hump, there right in front of me was a lorry passing a bus going uphill.  I too missed a head on collision by the same margin as the OP.  These *&^&*!@ idiot drivers just don't care and don't have the brain power to even comprehend their actions.

I found myself in the same scenario from den chai to lampang a couple weeks back where a pick up under the same conditions but going down hill on a slight curve passing a gasoline tanker. The tanker was going 60 km as I was following him under the 3 second where this PU passed both of us...

the spray alone from the tanker limited visibility serverely as that is a mtn wooded area...

just craziness but but the greater concern is the number of drivers who take take incredible high risk dumb stupid ignorant whatever you want to call it....

20 minutes later closer to  lampang came upon a head on btn a PU and a car - just happened as people running around trying to direct traffic - no emergency vechicles yet....PU half in ditch and other half in emergency lane on my side and the car like a Vios facing my direction I was going but in the other lane......people still in the car...didn't look at the PU...a mess with debris both lanes....

Edited by cardinalblue

Just now, steelepulse said:

I had the same thing happen to me when driving from Ranong to Phuket.  There was a blind hump in the road and when I went over the hump, there right in front of me was a lorry passing a bus going uphill.  I too missed a head on collision by the same margin as the OP.  These *&^&*!@ idiot drivers just don't care and don't have the brain power to even comprehend their actions.

Its all part of Thainess....

I asked a dozen different Thai drivers (friends of the family) what the difference was with all the yellow separation lines painted on the roads and none of them knew apart from indicating which side was which. Lack of driving school is my guess... Learning from an uncle, father, brother, a relative, etc. only teaches them how to operate a vehicle but only a little bit about regulations.

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

Just another, "normal" day, on the roads, in Thailand.

Yes .. and should he kill the occupants in the oncoming vehicle he will get a fine of 2,000 THB.. that is the value of life in Thailand... driving in Thailand you are at the mercy of a bunch of idiots....