Why doesn't Thailand offer Permanent Residency base on marriage?

1 minute ago, connda said:

I married the year that I came to Thailand, well before I understood the inflexibility of the immigration system.  Since then, it's been a learning process. 

Hence my last sentence - "surely you've realized that by now?". You're wife's a Thai national. Get her to lobby her local MP (that's a joke, by the way, in case you didn't realize)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for PR if married to a Thai. The only advantage is that the income requirement is lower. You still have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes. Once approved the fee for the residence certificate is also lower.

If you can qualify for PR you can also apply for Thai citizenship and the income requirement is only 40k baht.

Thanks Joe, I was not sure so your clarification is appreciated.

The OP is right, it is a bit of a shame. May I add that in some european countries, at least in mine, it is possible to apply not just for residency but directly for citizenship after 10 years that you live there continuously as a law-abiding citizen, and without the need to be married to a national. Thailand is much harder in this respect.

It would be best to learn about the requirements BEFORE deciding to move here, to marry a Thai, to buy a house in the spouse's name - how many times we hear of foreigners basically stripped off of their assets once the marriage breaks down.  If more people knew what is in store, I suppose they would think twice.

I am pessimistic that rules will change, mainly because the influx of tourists who decide "hey I'd like to live here" is so large that the government doesn't need to worry about the trickle of those who think it's not worthy the risk.

I think if a lot of people started protesting and sending emails to their embassy something might be done. 

My country lets Thais marry and get a citizenship within 3 yrs, buy land, own a business and many privileges our citizens do not get here.

If every expat in Thailand would raise this with their perspective embassy this would get them to start talking about it and maybe go to the Thai government and say 'Hey this is not fair".

Taiwan for example has a law that lets foreigners own land ONLY if the country of the foreigner lets Taiwanese citizens buy land there too. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, connda said:

... The PR is a bureaucratic nightmare, one that I attempted unsuccessfully when I did quality, but one that I no longer qualify for.  It's not an option.

Plenty of others have managed the bureaucracy, including yearly extensions and 90-day reports.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for PR if married to a Thai. The only advantage is that the income requirement is lower. You still have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes. Once approved the fee for the residence certificate is also lower.

If you can qualify for PR you can also apply for Thai citizenship and the income requirement is only 40k baht.

Based on the above, how does the OP 'no longer qualify' fort PR?

51 minutes ago, jgold said:

I think if a lot of people started protesting and sending emails to their embassy something might be done. 

My country lets Thais marry and get a citizenship within 3 yrs, buy land, own a business and many privileges our citizens do not get here.

If every expat in Thailand would raise this with their perspective embassy this would get them to start talking about it and maybe go to the Thai government and say 'Hey this is not fair".

Taiwan for example has a law that lets foreigners own land ONLY if the country of the foreigner lets Taiwanese citizens buy land there too. 

It doesn't matter what your country or Taiwan does. Get a translation of the Thai national anthem. It's all in there.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

If based on marriage what happens if divorced?  Do they revoke it?  This is why you cannot have PR based upon marriage because marriage is only permanent less than 50% of the time 

from what i have seen probably more than 80% western/thai relationships end in less 10 years. i know a few that have gone past 10 years but even those are because kids are involved. so i guess this is a fair point about what happens to permanent residents after divorce. what happens in other countries? do permanent residents keep there residency status?

18 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

Why should they grant PR based on anything at all? Thailand is a sovereign nation and needs take no notice of what other countries offer. It has its own laws and sees no need to change them for a bunch of people who are tired of living under the constant threat of losing their permission to stay here.

they are going to have to do something at some stage as the birth rate has fallen to about 1.6, no where near what thailand needs to sustain its population. economies with falling populations generally dont preform very well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

Why should they grant PR based on anything at all? Thailand is a sovereign nation and needs take no notice of what other countries offer. It has its own laws and sees no need to change them for a bunch of people who are tired of living under the constant threat of losing their permission to stay here.

Perhaps because serious investment money hates uncertainty.  

Removing one of the obstacles to investment may even open up the purse strings of wealthy expats who already stay here because they actually like the place.

It wouldn't be a humanitarian move.  It would be a selfish move, with favorable side effects on some expats.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Other countries give PR based on the relationship existing at the time of the grant. Any subsequent life events (divorce, death) don't mean the original decision is revisited. In fact the immigrant spouse who gains PR can divorce, re-marry another immigrant, get PR for that person and so on. In Australia you can only get away with that twice in a lifetime however

Last sentence not quite true.After 2 wives have immigrated the 3rd is reviewed.