Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

After 11 years of 'thainess' I did not manage to grow elephant skin.

I left, leaving behind 'my' beautiful b&b which I still manage from a distance.

Anybody is welcome to take it over from me.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it , only Singapore or Tokyo is up there when it comes to quality compared to western standards and cleanliness. 

If the prices were the same in Singapore I would have no problems settling down there.  

On 5/1/2018 at 8:49 AM, seancbk said:

My experience is that things have been getting better over the past 10 years.   Bangkok is getting more modern, there are more high quality restaurants, more high quality bars, more and better shopping options.  More high end condos being built.   This city is now world class in many areas.

For city folk yes

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:19 PM, mercman24 said:

its the jumping through hoops thing that sticks up my craw, they like to take my money, i bet my monthy spends are  more 12 of your average thai,(probably more) if we all decided to up sticks one day (ok it aint gonna happen) this place would be bancrupt overnight,

WOW! So Thailand is existing 100% on the expats resources!

Food for thought indeed!

On 4/30/2018 at 10:01 PM, The manic said:

An Islamic state where people are caned? Are you joking?

If you obey the law, you won't be caned. If you use drugs, you are in for a bad time in ANY Asian country.

Just now, KhunFred said:

If you obey the law, you won't be caned. If you use drugs, you are in for a bad time in ANY Asian country.

The laws are sharia law. Being raped is against the law. Being homosexual is against the law. Having sex out of wedlock is against the law. The drug laws are disproportionately harsh. Have a great holiday.

I am staying in thailand 31 years

since 5 years i consoider   to leave.

why still here

if i would be younger would return to europe,  de to many reason here in thailand

but for starting something new ,to many risks due to age

other countrys in asia are no option.

still staying in thailand only because of a lack of alternatives

beofre thai was 100% that what i was looking for, today its only 50%

idfi would be here only 1 or 2 or 3 years i would take my feets in the hand and leave as more quick as i can..............

23 hours ago, AntDee said:

Hi Sean, 

Each of us has his own opinion, and I respect yours. However, I see NO MODERNIZATION of any significance. 

Non-Thai restaurants are still generally poor (especially when compared with foreign restaurants in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia). 

I don't visit bars much. 

Shopping in Thailand for high end products is horror. Things are very regularly overpriced and old generation. The proof is that Thais, even those with significant money, will make significant efforts to shop abroad and bring/smuggle high quality goods back into Thailand. 

As for "high end" condos, I also have to disagree with you. My wife and I stayed at 2 such condos: The Met Sathorn and Noble Ploenchit. Like so very many things here, these "high end" condos are mostly built to give the appearance of quality. However, for value, they are terrible.

If you understand economics, you know that Thailand's market is most competitive at the bottom - where 90+% of the population live and spend. At the "high end" the value is abominable as there is little competition and Thais with exceptional financial resources typically value quality less than westerners but value exclusion and Face more than westerners. So, for a typical Thai, he/she is far more interested in the fact that something is expensive and cannot be acquired by most people than quality or value of the thing being purchased. 

Thailand may have modernized, skytrain, metro, elevated highways, fast internet, health system, etc its infrastructure by throwing money, of which the country seems to have lots, at it but the people are still as backward as they were. They drive like idiots having now reach the status of being the most dangerous place in the world to be on the road. A status I'm sure they are proud of because they do little to improve it. Over a million stray dogs that regularly attack people and cause road accidents. They democratically elected governments of the corrupt and criminally minded. They fail to bring to justice rich criminals who pay off to either escape the country or its jails. They continually talk of Thailand as the hub of this or the hub of that when in fact all they are is the hub of hubs.They fail in educating the young, the future of the country, except for those that can afford an international standard education. They still live in a ME FIRST, SELFISH society where they do anything without thought of how it might affect others. Noise regulations are completely ignored. Pollution the same. They toss garbage everywhere out of sight out of mind. Thailand is totally a dog eat dog society where Buddhism is a sham and a scam and lazy and corrupt monks to prey on the people while flying around in jets and being driven in a Benz.

I honestly despair at the few good and honest people this country has. They don't stand a chance.

1 hour ago, lapamita said:

I am staying in thailand 31 years

since 5 years i consoider   to leave.

why still here

if i would be younger would return to europe,  de to many reason here in thailand

beofre thai was 100% that what i was looking for, today its only 50%

idfi would be here only 1 or 2 or 3 years i would take my feets in the hand and leave as more quick as i can..............

I think I can relate to most of that, though I've only been in Thailand for about half as long.

45 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Thailand may have modernized, skytrain, metro, elevated highways, fast internet, health system, etc its infrastructure by throwing money, of which the country seems to have lots, at it but the people are still as backward as they were. They drive like idiots having now reach the status of being the most dangerous place in the world to be on the road. A status I'm sure they are proud of because they do little to improve it. Over a million stray dogs that regularly attack people and cause road accidents. They democratically elected governments of the corrupt and criminally minded. They fail to bring to justice rich criminals who pay off to either escape the country or its jails. They continually talk of Thailand as the hub of this or the hub of that when in fact all they are is the hub of hubs.They fail in educating the young, the future of the country, except for those that can afford an international standard education. They still live in a ME FIRST, SELFISH society where they do anything without thought of how it might affect others. Noise regulations are completely ignored. Pollution the same. They toss garbage everywhere out of sight out of mind. Thailand is totally a dog eat dog society where Buddhism is a sham and a scam and lazy and corrupt monks to prey on the people while flying around in jets and being driven in a Benz.

I honestly despair at the few good and honest people this country has. They don't stand a chance.

Agree with all of that.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, tideout said:

Curious if anyone can tell me why the drop off for Udon?

I was only there once but thought it was a fairly nice small city. What's up with the "decline"?

Bump

Just don't burn your bridges, I stayed there for 10 years. In the last 8 months I have been back once. And don't plan on going back anytime soon. 

Absolutely loved my time there and in Malaysia, some Cambodia, and the other countries close by. But, I personally got tired of the paper work. Even traveling all the time got to be boring. 

Still have a retirement visa for Thailand and I go back once a year to renew it thinking I will want to go back to live! 

Right now I am not interested in the least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2016 at 2:44 PM, trogers said:

What would be of interest is the preferred destination of those who expressed the desire to leave Thailand...

That is exactly the topic that needs to be discussed. I cannot think of a viable alternative, within the restraints of my budget. I have considered spending at least a portion of the year in Spain. No other place in SE Asia is anything I find appealing. Vietnam holds no allure for me, having been there three times. I find most of the people there to be like cold, wet fish. Cambodia is ok, but not someplace I would want to live, considering the serial killing multi billionaire despot leader, not Burma for a nanosecond, Laos does not seem to offer much, other than cheap beer, and Malaysians though nice, do not seem to be as lighthearted, or fun loving as the Thais. Indonesia has alot of wonderful elements. But where? Certainly not Bali, which had it's day, but has become way too overdeveloped and way too overpopulated. The PI? The way I figure that place, is that the only reason a man would want to live there, is the lovely women, who blow away Thai women on so many levels. But, the country is a wasteland. A pit of desolation. A ghetto. And the food absolutely sucks, the air quality is horrible, and the health care system is marginal, at best. And another serial killing, despot leader. So, where? I would not move back to the states, unless it was something I had no choice about. The quality of life in the US diminishes daily. The place is such a pale shadow of it's former self.

I like it here. It is not perfect. If I could play God for a moment, there are many things I would change about Thailand, the educational system, the government, traffic safety, etc. But, I do like it here, and find alot of aspects of life here to be fulfilling, appealing and fascinating. And I like most Thai people. When in Bangkok, I am often astonished at how good an attitude most locals have, for big city people. And most Thais elsewhere are quite delightful, as long as you are away from Samui, Phuket, and Pattaya, for the most part, where many are quite jaded, and do not seem to enjoy relating to foreigners. I think at least part of this is about attitude. Some find it easy and natural to be unfulfilled, no matter where they are. They can leave, but unfortunately for them, they have to take their minds with them!

I am fortunate to have found a really outstanding woman, who has my back all the time, is kind, pretty, large hearted, positive, has a great sense of humor, and is smart, cooks like a gourmet chef, and is alot of fun to be around, daily. I acknowledge that makes a huge difference in one's attitude toward the place!

On 11/5/2016 at 10:03 AM, Mook23 said:

At scotbkk: i stayed clear from the women except for the occasional one night stand ? i came here in my mid 30s and didnt need a boost in self esteem or  second youth. I didnt divorce a western "whale" like so many here like to call home females. i wasnt mysogene. I truly loved all days around here. Studied thai. Travelled each town from the south to the north. Met great people. But its not my habitat and since the junta i decided to leave. Im not bitter and can always return in 10 years when im 50+ and overweight and bald ??

but you would still be hansom

On 5/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, InMyShadow said:

How is the junta affecting you and which way is thailand heading?

If you could be specific.

Sounds to me like it's all in your head.

Where else would it be ???

On 5/1/2018 at 1:24 AM, stanleycoin said:

I need more money

I need more money for my mum and dad.

I need more money for make rice, it no good last year.

I need more money for sick buffalo on farm.

I need more money for Temple.

I need more money for help brother ( real husband drink beer )

I need money go see sick mum, you can stay pattaya,    ( visit real husband in village )

I need money go see sick mum again next week, you stay pattaya,

(see Falang in BKK from face book )

And so on. :jap:

He dies and she goes back to the bar,  and starts all over again.

hello sexy man :shock1:

not 'need' but 'want'.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:49 AM, seancbk said:

My experience is that things have been getting better over the past 10 years.   Bangkok is getting more modern, there are more high quality restaurants, more high quality bars, more and better shopping options.  More high end condos being built.   This city is now world class in many areas.

Too each its own

On 5/1/2018 at 3:15 AM, InMyShadow said:

Around 10 years is about right for the grass is Greener move

But let's not forget that you all left your home countries because they went down hill, to cold, violence etc

It's just a big merry ground. Many want to leave but havnt been back in years or went back for a few weeks holiday mode. And then reality sinks in and the "what was I thinking" question takes over

Hats off to those that are heading back for children's education. It's sad your in the minority.

People left their home countries to move to Thailand because their country went down hill? Cold climate? Violence?

Sorry but you have got to be kidding yourself.

If Thailand did not have easy women, there would be no expats flocking there because of their country going down hill or any other reason. That is just absurd.

Like Thailand has not been going downhill the past 30 years? 

Thailand is worse off now with corruption, materialism, etc. that it has ever been.

If it was as hard to get a Thai women as it is for those to get a woman in their own country, no one would ever move to Thailand.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:08 PM, spidermike007 said:

That is exactly the topic that needs to be discussed. I cannot think of a viable alternative, within the restraints of my budget. I have considered spending at least a portion of the year in Spain. No other place in SE Asia is anything I find appealing. Vietnam holds no allure for me, having been there three times. I find most of the people there to be like cold, wet fish. Cambodia is ok, but not someplace I would want to live, considering the serial killing multi billionaire despot leader, not Burma for a nanosecond, Laos does not seem to offer much, other than cheap beer, and Malaysians though nice, do not seem to be as lighthearted, or fun loving as the Thais. Indonesia has alot of wonderful elements. But where? Certainly not Bali, which had it's day, but has become way too overdeveloped and way too overpopulated. The PI? The way I figure that place, is that the only reason a man would want to live there, is the lovely women, who blow away Thai women on so many levels. But, the country is a wasteland. A pit of desolation. A ghetto. And the food absolutely sucks, the air quality is horrible, and the health care system is marginal, at best. And another serial killing, despot leader. So, where? I would not move back to the states, unless it was something I had no choice about. The quality of life in the US diminishes daily. The place is such a pale shadow of it's former self.

I like it here. It is not perfect. If I could play God for a moment, there are many things I would change about Thailand, the educational system, the government, traffic safety, etc. But, I do like it here, and find alot of aspects of life here to be fulfilling, appealing and fascinating. And I like most Thai people. When in Bangkok, I am often astonished at how good an attitude most locals have, for big city people. And most Thais elsewhere are quite delightful, as long as you are away from Samui, Phuket, and Pattaya, for the most part, where many are quite jaded, and do not seem to enjoy relating to foreigners. I think at least part of this is about attitude. Some find it easy and natural to be unfulfilled, no matter where they are. They can leave, but unfortunately for them, they have to take their minds with them!

I am fortunate to have found a really outstanding woman, who has my back all the time, is kind, pretty, large hearted, positive, has a great sense of humor, and is smart, cooks like a gourmet chef, and is alot of fun to be around, daily. I acknowledge that makes a huge difference in one's attitude toward the place!

When you have an outstanding woman who always has your back, you can live anywhere and make it work.

9 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

People left their home countries to move to Thailand because their country went down hill? Cold climate? Violence?

Sorry but you have got to be kidding yourself.

If Thailand did not have easy women, there would be no expats flocking there because of their country going down hill or any other reason. That is just absurd.

Like Thailand has not been going downhill the past 30 years? 

Thailand is worse off now with corruption, materialism, etc. that it has ever been.

If it was as hard to get a Thai women as it is for those to get a woman in their own country, no one would ever move to Thailand.

Nail on head. Whatever the reasons people come here, easy sex is very close to the top of the list, though many would just as soon poke themselves in the eye with a pencil as admit their real motivation.

Yes, Thailand is going downhill. Just like the people of Spain and Greece did before them, Thais are killing the golden goose. It's inevitable - as has been foretold by people wiser than me. I'm not going anywhere, the small amount of money I have is sufficient, I have a Thai wife who is not a money-grabber, and some step-daughters whom I am trying to bring up as decent people. Life could easily be worse, and for many (mostly richer than me), it is..

I'm a long long way from Pattaya, that doesn't hurt. Been once, not going back, not ever.

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

except those living in Thailand who save paying taxes in excess of $100k per annum. they bring their own wives from abroad and care a flying fàrt about corruption, double pricing, bar fine, beer prices, a strong Baht or the usually small problems the resident Thai haters whinge about.

they also claim that Thailand has improved tremendously over the years in each and every respect and is still improving!

16 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I can get a women easy in the US.  But they are 60 and not appealing to me.

Yes, I am here because I like 30 year olds with sexy bodies and nice smiles.

Love Thailand!

• 4 months later...

if i would be younger would return to europe,  de to many reason here in thailand

Yeah, Thailand ain't got much going for it, except friendly females.

Let's face it , only Singapore or Tokyo is up there when it comes to quality compared to western standards and cleanliness. 
If the prices were the same in Singapore I would have no problems settling down there.  

Just reading through the above comments one tend to feel what a sad place this world is! All "high standards" tends to fall apart according to one's bank balance!

Aren't we a bunch of pitiful, sad hypocrites?

Unable to find a female partner in one's own home country indeed is a sad plight.

On 11/5/2016 at 4:48 PM, gdgbb said:

Obviously complete nonsense.

"In fact half of all expats have considered leaving the country over the last year."

Really?  How would Thaivisa know that, have they surveyed every expat in Thailand or are they assuming..."

It's a rare survey that polls an entire target population. Good surveys typically rely on an acceptable response rate, or sample size, which is far from 100%, and can often be as low as 20-25%. Validity and reliability are determined by the quality of the questions/items and the likelihood that the results would be replicated with repeated polling. Not "complete nonsense"; just basic statistics.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, bkk6060 said:

I can get a women easy in the US.  But they are 60 and not appealing to me.

Yes, I am here because I like 30 year olds with sexy bodies and nice smiles.

Love Thailand!

And dumb as a box of rocks so they don't talk and just sit quietly waiting to serve your every need no doubt.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:49 PM, mercman24 said:

its the jumping through hoops thing that sticks up my craw, they like to take my money, i bet my monthy spends are  more 12 of your average thai,(probably more) if we all decided to up sticks one day (ok it aint gonna happen) this place would be bancrupt overnight,

People have been saying that crap for years and guess what, it would not make a dent in there economy. It might hurt a few folks but the country going bankrupt you are joking right

Archived