Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People's life circumstances change, and periodically considering one's options, including relocation, is perfectly normal. In fact, not re-evaluating your options from time to time is what I'd consider to be unusual.

Even though I would rate my satisfaction level as somewhat higher than when I arrived 13 years ago, the truth is I've evaluated and researched my options off and on since the day I got here. The conclusion I keep coming back to is that I will likely continue living in Thailand unless health problems force me to repatriate, and rather than relocating, travel more.  My point is that it shouldn't necessarily be inferred that everyone who said that they have considered leaving Thailand is unhappy living here.

P.S. Desire to relocate back to the States dropped to zero post-election.

9 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Italian pillocks?

But I had to hone the grooves in my Roman columns with my own teeth and was sent to immigration for 50 lashes for not revealing l had dentures that wore out to quick....I was pissed off about this cos I don't have dentures....:sad:

20 hours ago, Naam said:

Trans has pillars, i have columns (outside and inside). to each his own.

columns.jpg

Must have cost a bit! You've never mentioned that you had any money before Naam :cheesy:

Surprised you didn't throw in that you have a butler and can speak a bit of Urdu, yet can't tell your gardener what day it is!

This thread has become a pathetic , "my d****ks bigger than yours.

1 minute ago, Johnniey said:

Must have cost a bit! You've never mentioned that you had any money before Naam :cheesy:

Surprised you didn't throw in that you have a butler and can speak a bit of Urdu, yet can't tell your gardener what day it is!

Well I can/could tune Naams E-Type Jag carbs....Can you....?

Thread went off rails because a fishy bloke thought it great to take the piss..Just send him a PM...:laugh:

1 hour ago, Johnniey said:

it seems your condition is irreversible. a pity! does that kind of frustration hurt a lot? :whistling:

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

This is just my holiday house. Pillars are bb4108ef3ec44bedf7f78f9a4e2185e3.jpg24kt gold. I can't find a a camera with a big enough widescreen mode for the main residence.. Unfortunately

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

a satellite picture will do :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7-11-2016 at 3:30 PM, soalbundy said:

Let us suppose for a moment that the military remains in power, how does that affect you personally ?

If the junta resigns the bombing/shooting will return which will be the perfect moment for us to move abroad forever.

On 06/11/2016 at 11:14 AM, Strange said:

Yep, I plan to divide my time also but will make the US my home base again. Right now its Thailand, but I'm over it. The increasing costs, the 'farang' mentality, I'm over it. 

In florida I can get get in the family boat, fish in pristine waters, take my catch home, mow it down, take a nap, and be just another person without hearing 'farang' bla bla substandard person. 

On 17/11/2016 at 3:03 PM, Johnniey said:

"my d####ks bigger than yours." How on earth did you know that - big Johnniey?

• 2 months later...

Back to the topic - my answer is YES !!  

There are many things I will miss after we leave Thailand soon - but certainly not the following:

Immigration/Govt - unbelieveable and getting worse every year for Expats - do they want me here? I think not;

Corruption/Crime - same as above - more and more each year as the economy declines  - and no 'rights' in law/courts;

Inequality/Racism - obvious and rampant and getting worse - being a second class farang wears you down;

Thai Males - not all, but many - ignorant entitled smug aggressive dangerous aholes - so many and not enough bu ......;

Ignorance/Stupidity - so many things here are ridiculous - organised is not a Thai word - planning is a swear word;

I could go on and on but that would be a waste of my and you timer.

Anyone thinking of coming here for girls/fun - then go right ahead - this is the place.

Anyone thinking of coming for culture/sights - stay a short while and then move on before the glasses fall off.

Anyone thinking of coming to retire - there will be things you must accept to be able to stay comfortably'. It is great in many ways here, but in many ways it is just awful. Some people can do it and are happy, but I have found them to be too 'annoying'. Certainly I could just ignore them, but as someone who was always an 'observer', they stand out like the proverbials to me and I cant just ignore them and 'breeze' along in ignorant bliss (dont drink/fun enough?).

Anyone coming to retire and find a good Thai wife and then take her home with you, as many others have done before me and many more will do in the future - do it and join the club :smile:.  

• 1 year later...
On 11/5/2016 at 2:48 PM, Johnniey said:

I think if you are talking about Pattaya dwellers only. Why on earth would anyone else want to go to Cambodia?

Interesting case these Pattaya dwellers; I wonder how their outlook on LOS goes once a certain appendage goes limp?

As far as I am concerned there are only two ways to stay happy long term here: one is to have a good family, the other a good job. Or both of course.

On 05/11/2016 at 3:45 PM, Pattaya28 said:

I would guess Cambo

Well those who believe that thailand has problems with corrupt police and politicians and inept institutions are in for a rude awakening in cambodia.

The grass is always greener etc etc.

Many who come to thailand do so because among other things their money goes a lot further.

However as most tend not to learn the language other than how to order a beer their social life takes a dive.

If they have married some girl half their age with little education they find they are sharing with someone who they virtually nothing in common with.

The food, culture , television will never be to their liking and it becomes a spiral.

All that is left is to morph into a victor meldrew clone and reminisce about a home country that never existed .

Many people from english speaking backgrounds dont travel well and begrudge or bemoan the fact that when they arrive somewhere that  eg locals english skills arent up to scratch, food isn't to their liking, locals dont pay them the respect they consider they are entitled to.

I stress I am not talking about all expats but there are enough on this forum to suggest there is a significant number of seriously unhappy people.  

For me it wouldnt be worth the stress. 

People really need to do their homework before they make the move. Maybe try it for 3 or 6 months and not in the tawdry night spoy areas but where normal people live.

Just now, Expatthailover said:

Well those who believe that thailand has problems with corrupt police and politicians and inept institutions are in for a rude awakening in cambodia.

The grass is always greener etc etc.

Many who come to thailand do so because among other things their money goes a lot further.

However as most tend not to learn the language other than how to order a beer their social life takes a dive.

If they have married some girl half their age with little education they find they are sharing with someone who they virtually nothing in common with.

The food, culture , television will never be to their liking and it becomes a spiral.

All that is left is to morph into a victor meldrew clone and reminisce about a home country that never existed .

Many people from english speaking backgrounds dont travel well and begrudge or bemoan the fact that when they arrive somewhere that  eg locals english skills arent up to scratch, food isn't to their liking, locals dont pay them the respect they consider they are entitled to.

I stress I am not talking about all expats but there are enough on this forum to suggest there is a significant number of seriously unhappy people.  

For me it wouldnt be worth the stress. 

People really need to do their homework before they make the move. Maybe try it for 3 or 6 months and not in the tawdry night spoy areas but where normal people live.

Are the owners on This forum really here though.  And if they don't like Thailand why do they stay here?

On 11/5/2016 at 2:44 PM, trogers said:

What would be of interest is the preferred destination of those who expressed the desire to leave Thailand...

Indonesia would be the sanest option since they have Universal Healthcare available to expats for a reasonable price. I really can't see Thailand having anything similar, short of a major upheaval.

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

Interesting case these Pattaya dwellers; I wonder how their outlook on LOS goes once a certain appendage goes limp?

As far as I am concerned there are only two ways to stay happy long term here: one is to have a good family, the other a good job. Or both of course.

There is lots to do here If for what ever reason you are not into the girly scene. Fine wining and dining, keep fit, day trips out,writing, photography, art,martial arts, cooking,language learning, traveling in Thailand. Regarding family - MGTOW for me. And I will never work again, except for fun or me.....anyway due to skills of Thai PY my appendage is rarely limp at 65..

Just now, KhunFred said:

Indonesia would be the sanest option since they have Universal Healthcare available to expats for a reasonable price. I really can't see Thailand having anything similar, short of a major upheaval.

An Islamic state where people are caned? Are you joking?

So more I understand Thais talking bad, or in a sadistic way about foreigners assuming that they are deaf and married to whores, so less do I appreciate the life here.

The " Khun phoot Passa Thai Gaeng Maak" when you only say thank you in Thai, the always same questions, where you come from, how much money you make, and how many Mia Nois you have, isn't funny anymore.

15 years ago, 15 K were more than 30 K are now, salaries didn't go up, but almost everything did. I can be happy to have the Thai SS, otherwise I'd have been in deep <deleted>.

More and more foreigners commit crimes and that doesn't really help those who always did all to live by the rules. No, I didn't come here to make money to send it to my poor relatives in Timbuktu, Mr. Somchai. 

And if you've got to pawn in your marriage ring, because you didn't get money back from a friend, it's time to rethink all. 

The "Khun Kruu Danghat" is widely replaced with Farang, even when they know your name.

So if you need to save money for a year to buy your dream scooter, it's time for a change, roughly speaking. 

But you still gotta take all with a pinch of humor and smile, even when you'd like to cry. Maybe it's only time to become an honest monk? :smile:

42 minutes ago, The manic said:

An Islamic state where people are caned? Are you joking?

I know an educated western woman who wanted to holiday in Indonesia. She's there with a friend and when they were walking along a beach two men were trying to molest them.

They couldn't even go to the cops, because these people belong to the same race.

They finally fled from their "dream holiday" over night. Not kidding. 

Put 30 years in here,and for me it's not a day too long,if I had stayed in

UK, I would most likely have died years ago, too much stress,too much

bad food,or food that is bad for you.AND the weather,every winter I would

get sciatic nerve pain in my legs,never once since i came here.

Sure things were cheaper 30,25,20 years ago,and the pound stronger,

but on the up side,there is a wider range of food products to choose

from,the Internet is decent,so entertainment from the Internet ,you

have more choice,it takes very little to keep me happy.

That said,I would not like to come and set up here in say the last

3-5 years, prices of property are sky high,and most other things.

Thailand has been very good to me,have a great family and life.

Never returned to UK,think if i went back now it would do my head

in with all the changes,so i am just stopping here.

regards worgeordie

7 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

You're spot on here, older people retire here maybe at age 60 or over and find a young girl they share nothing in common with .    

But they can still live a decent life if they have enough expat friends that think the same . Often I see the Thai wife/gf being dragged along to typical expat restaurants/bars and they do not open their mouth . I can't even imagine what kind of conversation they would be having inside their home.  

2 hours ago, balo said:

Often I see the Thai wife/gf being dragged along to typical expat restaurants/bars and they do not open their mouth . I can't even imagine what kind of conversation they would be having inside their home.  

I need more money

I need more money for my mum and dad.

I need more money for make rice, it no good last year.

I need more money for sick buffalo on farm.

I need more money for Temple.

I need more money for help brother ( real husband drink beer )

I need money go see sick mum, you can stay pattaya,    ( visit real husband in village )

I need money go see sick mum again next week, you stay pattaya,

(see Falang in BKK from face book )

And so on. :jap:

He dies and she goes back to the bar,  and starts all over again.

hello sexy man :shock1:

Archived