Yingluck Sells Rice at Bangkok Mall as Prices Falling

rooster59

Yingluck Sells Rice at Bangkok Mall as Prices Falling

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

S_5161068669051.jpg

Yingluck Shinawatra selling rice earlier this week in the Northeast. Photo: Facebook / Courtesy

BANGKOK — Former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra set up a booth Saturday selling rice from farmers in a bid to help them face falling prices as the military junta keeps a close watch.

Yingluck held a rice-selling event at Fashion Island shopping mall 4pm on Saturday afternoon in Bangkok’s Ram Intra district.

She earlier posted on her Facebook saying the jasmine rice put on sale varied in quality as it had not been standardized due to the fact that it was supplied directly by various farmers.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/11/05/yingluck-sells-rice-bangkok-mall-prices-falling/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-05

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Anybody else see the immense irony in this ?

Planning a comeback soon? Big brother must have told her to buy, then sell some rice. PR.

I see the irony, but it comes with a huge part of insanity.....

I'm glad that I still got my red shirt ready.

''He did not want to conclude whether what Yingluck is doing was politically motivated or whether it’s was just a PR stunt, he said.''

Let me save you some time here then, Lt Gen . Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

It's a PR stunt.

Edited by Bluespunk

21 minutes ago, Slip said:

I would rather buy my rice from the Burmese or Vietnam.

And some people would rather purchase escalators and elevators manufactured in China. What's your point?  BTW neither Myanmar nor Vietnam exports rice to the Thai market.  Myanmar exports mostly to China as it is a defacto economic colony and Vietnam exports to regions with relatively non existant food quality import standards, such as the Philippines, Iraq, Africa etc. 

So you go right ahead and chow down on that rice.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Anybody else see the immense irony in this ?

No. I see someone who is trying to highlight the  travails of the rice farmers, a segment of the population that has been ignored by a military administration. It seems that the military rulers of Thailand would rather purchase submarines and invest in their resorts and golf courses. 

1 hour ago, surangw said:

she ( and her brother) must have some long range plan, otherwise she would have fled thailand long ago.

Why should she flee? Thailand is her home, and a majority of its population still support her. In any case, she is under defacto house arrest. She is surveilled 24/7 by the military rulers. Her phone calls, visitors,  activities.are monitored, She has lost right the rright  to privacy and the freedom of association that too many people in TVF take for granted. 

Planning a comeback soon? Big brother must have told her to buy, then sell some rice. PR.

I see the irony, but it comes with a huge part of insanity.....

I'm glad that I still got my red shirt ready.

Wish Thaksin came back I miss him !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given her track record with rice, she would probably be better off trying to sell mushrooms!

1478378980901.jpg.e7799bb5eb27ccad0af6beb530c2e090.jpg

I think she's a bit of alright myself wouldn't throw her out of bed on mushrooms or not lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra set up a booth Saturday selling rice from farmers ..."

Her family didn't get that wealthy by being bad businessmen.

So, how much money from what was sold did she keep for her commission?

go to admit she has got style, i bet she will still be around when these clowns have long gone, no matter what we think, we are only bystanders here, the people love her, that is why the powers that be are running scared. i bet they wished she would do a "runner"

7 hours ago, than said:

Well she begin to collect money for pay her fine....

And it's always poor people who pay for her

Is that right???   Well mate thats quite a feat considering that she bought the rice directly from farmers at 20 Baht per kg and sold it for 20 Baht per kg and she paide for the transport from the north to BKK and bag's and all associated costs, so agian how is she collecting money and the poor people are paying???   You and a few others here have no idear and blindly spew you uninformed bias veiews without having the facts,  but no supprised there,  go hug a general. 

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

And some people would rather purchase escalators and elevators manufactured in China. What's your point?  BTW neither Myanmar nor Vietnam exports rice to the Thai market.  Myanmar exports mostly to China as it is a defacto economic colony and Vietnam exports to regions with relatively non existant food quality import standards, such as the Philippines, Iraq, Africa etc. 

So you go right ahead and chow down on that rice.

No. I see someone who is trying to highlight the  travails of the rice farmers, a segment of the population that has been ignored by a military administration. It seems that the military rulers of Thailand would rather purchase submarines and invest in their resorts and golf courses. 

Why should she flee? Thailand is her home, and a majority of its population still support her. In any case, she is under defacto house arrest. She is surveilled 24/7 by the military rulers. Her phone calls, visitors,  activities.are monitored, She has lost right the rright  to privacy and the freedom of association that too many people in TVF take for granted. 

Love your work mate, to bad there are others that come out with bias comment without knowing the facts. 

The junta must be spewing razor blades that they didn't think of this as a PR stunt first.

Yingluk PR stunt or not she is helping the farmers and what is the junta doing? buying UP TO 13,000 baht for top quallity rice, and in the mean time draging YL through court for the same policy,  what a bunch of hypocrites and those that cry for her blood and support the junta for the same thing are hypocrites the same........!!!

10 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Public relations, look at the video, she's has lots of fans. The junta is watching but not stopping her, this could be the start of a come back. With a year to go until elections, Yingluck is out campaigning early.

Very early, the latest target date for elections is now Spring 2018 if you are keeping up with the news.  However; watch this space for further announcements !

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

"falling prices " !!,but not at retail level,the prices are still the same at Makro,

supermarkets,and wet markets,lot of profiteering going on.

regards Worgeordie

Yes your right, some one's making a lot of money at the farmers expences. That's why the farmers have had enough of being cheated and selling their rice directly to the public instead if through the corrupt millers.

I hope a bunch of these liers cheats and theives go under for their deeds.....!

10 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Public relations, look at the video, she's has lots of fans. The junta is watching but not stopping her, this could be the start of a come back. With a year to go until elections, Yingluck is out campaigning early.

For a come back I'm afraid Ms Yingluck will need more than  a few bags of rice, however granted,  revolutions have been born from lesser stuff.

The one thing I'm wondering about this story is why did Yingluck choose Fashion Island shopping Mall to sell her rice? Why didn't she set up a stall outside Central World or Paragon? Maybe she will, maybe she's on tour, watch this space, coming to a shopping mall near you.

Another thing went through my tiny mind. Did she travel from Chiang Mai to Bangkok yesterday and if so was it by airplane or does she have a big bus a bit like Trump does with cheer Yingluck on the side?