Snake Season

Old Croc

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I haven't seen anything like that variety of snakes (!), but agree that when seeing a snake in the garden I'm too fascinated to think about taking a 'photo - and on the odd occasion a snake has come into the house, I'm concentrating on getting it out.....

I think someone mentioned about just sweeping out snakes that come into the house (but it could have been another thread).  Easier said than done as they hide in/under/the furniture within a couple of seconds, and even when they're in an obvious place between bamboo curtains and windows - its still hard to find an easy way to get them out back into the garden!

edit - particularly liked the 'photo of your dog pretending it hadn't noticed the snake :lol:.

My dog is very good at finding the snakes... it will bark in a way that I know there is a snake outside.. so then I go have a look.  Lucky the dog knows better than to try to catch them.  Once she knows I know they are there she looses interest. 

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:
15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I like these - not too scary at all:

P1040885.JPG

Beautiful, big specimen. I see many of them at my place, usually smaller. They go about their business unmolested. 

Yes, the only critters who don't like these lovely golden tree snakes are the birds living in the trees! They make a hell of a racket, dive bombing the snake if it's in the grass and squawking like crazy if it's up the tree.  I think it was the noise from the birds that alerted me to this one.

On 9.11.2016 at 1:29 PM, dick dasterdly said:

I haven't seen anything like that variety of snakes (!), but agree that when seeing a snake in the garden I'm too fascinated to think about taking a 'photo - and on the odd occasion a snake has come into the house, I'm concentrating on getting it out.....

I think someone mentioned about just sweeping out snakes that come into the house (but it could have been another thread).  Easier said than done as they hide in/under/the furniture within a couple of seconds, and even when they're in an obvious place between bamboo curtains and windows - its still hard to find an easy way to get them out back into the garden!

edit - particularly liked the 'photo of your dog pretending it hadn't noticed the snake :lol:.

Is the first one a yellow/black banded krait  :ohmy:?

8 hours ago, Yahooka said:
On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 at 7:29 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Is the first one a yellow/black banded krait  :ohmy:?

Looks like it! But don't worry:

Venom

A clinical toxicology study gives an untreated mortality rate of 1—10%, which may be because contact with humans is rare and when bites do occur, the rate of envenomation when biting defensively is thought to be very low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banded_krait#Venom  

smile.gif

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:49 PM, jak2002003 said:

My dog is very good at finding the snakes... it will bark in a way that I know there is a snake outside.. so then I go have a look.  Lucky the dog knows better than to try to catch them.  Once she knows I know they are there she looses interest. 

The main reason for killing the two cobras that came into the house the other day was the safety of our dogs. I hadn't previously seen them react to snakes and was unsure if they would attack them in the same way they chase lizards.

However, It seems they may have some inbuilt instincts to avoid them, or perhaps it was the way the snakes reared up and growled that scared them, but they kept their distance and since then they have been very wary when going near the area the snakes were.

We've had three snakes, unfortunately dead on our electric fence, in the last three weeks. That's more than we've seen in the last three years. 

One of the snakes was a golden tree snake for sure. The other two were Phuket vipers, I think. Please have a look at the photos below and tell me what you think. 

IMAG3505.jpg

IMAG3504.jpg

IMAG3506.jpg

@jak2002003 are those photos from Phuket? I have never seen those snake. Not even seen photos of those snakes related to Phuket. Can you identify them?

@Tapster Never seen Phuket viper either. It was announced just few years ago that this pit viper is it's own new pieces. Trimeresurus phuketensis.

I can't tell if it's the one. Here is a photo of the Phuket viper. From https://www.thailandsnakes.com/tag/new-phuket-viper/

Trimeresurus-phuketensis-sp-1.jpg

Could be time to call our Thailand snake expert to join the discussion :)

OK, I'll go back to the snake books and see if anything else fits. The snake definitely has the head shape of a viper. 

@OC

We moved from violent, crime-ridden Johannesburg. The electric fence makes my wife feel safe. It was that or burglar bars on the windows and I couldn't live with that -  too much like being in a prison! 

51 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Its not a viper, vipers have heat sensing pits on their faces

Its always snake season in the tropics, snakes do not hibernate here like in cool or temperate countries

Trouser snakes cause the most problems here

Perhaps I should have called the thread Snake Mating Season to keep you happy.

For those of us who don't actually live next to a swamp,  it's very noticeable that there are times of the year when snakes are more mobile seeking mates.

40 minutes ago, Tapster said:

OK, I'll go back to the snake books and see if anything else fits. The snake definitely has the head shape of a viper. 

@OC

We moved from violent, crime-ridden Johannesburg. The electric fence makes my wife feel safe. It was that or burglar bars on the windows and I couldn't live with that -  too much like being in a prison! 

We built walls around our house and got some large dogs, same same but different.

I remember many places similar to that in Johannesburg when I lived there many years ago.

37 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps I should have called the thread Snake Mating Season to keep you happy.

For those of us who don't actually live next to a swamp,  it's very noticeable that there are times of the year when snakes are more mobile seeking mates.

You don't have to live close to a swamp, snakes are everywhere on Phuket if you like near uncleared land, generally snakes breed at anytime the year in the tropics

Its the monsoon season at present, its been a very wet year raining nearly every day

Snakes and rodents are quite happy living on undeveloped land and in the drains until it becomes wet or waterlogged

Rodents shift to developed high ground which is mainly around houses in the low areas when there is a lot of rain

Snakes are quite happy hunting in a wet environment but do not like living full time in it, they like a dry place to rest up and nest

Some snakes especially cobras favorite food is rodents and follow the rodents into house yards, I have actually watched a cobra following a rats scent into our yard when it was raining a lot and catch the rat

Nothing to do with mating, its about food source  and a dry environment 

Archived