Highway robbery! Police try to grab driver's mobile as he gathers evidence

webfact

3 hours ago, Freespirit said:

Several years ago  I was stopped while driving my car on the Northbound raised section of the Expressway going out of Bangkok. The officer said i had been speeding and they had camera as proof. I asked to see the camera as evidence, as I knew I had been carefully following the speed limit. He then asked for 1,000 baht or go the police station, as my Thai g/f  was not wearing her seat belt. I did not want to waste hours in the police station as had a long drive to Udon ahead. So I reluctantly paid him. I didnt know the what the real fine with a ticket would have been,. I later happened to get to know one of the ladies who works in the expressway toll booths. I told her I was going to stop using that expressway and advise all farangs to do the same. She was very concerned this would affect the expressways image. She told me the policeman had asked far too much money, and that if it happened again to please note the number on the side of the policeman''s helmet, (yes there s one on all real cops helmets)! Then report the cops number to the police or the expressway authorities.

Since then I have avoided that section of raised expressway to Don Muang above Vipavadee Rangsit road, and I always go underneath, which has obviously reduced their ticket sales a bit. But to get to the point I want to make, if there is no number on the side of the cops helmet he is a fake cop., which looking at the pics seems to be the case. Remember to take a pic of the side of his helmet for the number, usually in large black numbers on the white helmet. The cop in the bus pics doesn't even seem to have a genuine police helmet! He's a fake

The cop with the speed gun hides just down the exit ramp that goes into the international terminal at Don Muang. Haven't seen them for a while. I just keep left when approaching the exit ramp at 80 km & have never had a problem. 

Also another hiding spot is on the ChangWattana expressway. Coming from Nong Nam Wan Rd towards the city, he hides behind the concrete barrier on the left where the entry ramp joins up top. 

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

A Thai policeman wearing a mask says it all.  The only way to control them and junta is by public and international shaming. 

I'd like to agree with you but one thing I have come to understand about the mysterious 'loss of face' thing in this part of the world is that it's a local to local phenomenon. From what I've seen in about 30 years, Thais absolutely hate to lose face in front of another Thai, but if there's no Thai around then they couldn't care less. This is also true in all the surrounding Asian countries.

My impression is that Thai people aren't really concerned about what the rest of the world, especially the West, thinks of them. Remember Thaksin's remark about the UN ? The present government has also shown how little they care about international opinion, in the Koh Tao case for example. Other examples abound.

One thing Westerners have a hard time factoring, when it comes to Asian attitudes towards them, is the difference between envy and respect. Most Asians are quite envious of what we have (or what they think we have) and the behaviour induced by that envy may resemble admiration or respect, but it is neither. The fact is most Asians have nothing but a deep contempt for Westerners, and see them as spoilt, arrogant, hot-tempered, pontificating and immature.

Are they right ? When I read the comments on TVF, I sometimes wonder ...

Edited by Yann55

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Good on the bus driver! As for the general public, know your "made-up-as-they-go-along' rights and film these things.

If police are doing their jobs properly, there's no need for them to be worried about being filmed and recorded. Same thing the government and righties say about the government spying on us. Can't have your cake and eat it anymore. Times are a changin'. 

Yet another piece of Thailand... so sad 

20 hours ago, jolive said:

Fake cop?

A few years back I was walking on the pavement in Bangkok early one evening (6pm) towards the junction the the Bangna Trat highway and Sukhumvit. A guy on a motorbike drew up next to me. He had a coat on, no uniform, but a police-style helmet.

He told me he was "police" asked me (in English) where I was going. I replied (in Thai) I was walking to Sukhumvit road, and asked him why he wanted to know.

He said the area was very dangerous and I shouldn't be out walking on my own. I made the mistake of laughing, as I had been living in that particular area for a while, there were a lot of people around, so couldn't follow his reasoning. His statement just made me suspicious if there was some other motive behind what he said. I did consider a potential tourist scam.

While I was talking to him I did begin to wonder if he was genuine, so I walked to the back of his motorbike to see if it might have a police registration. There was no number plate at all. I shifted the conversation to quiz him why he didn't have a number plate on his bike, and requested to see his police ID card.
That was the end of the conversation, he wouldn't show me anything, just muttered about stupid ferangs and rode off.

Here in the USA there are several well documented instances of police grabbing cell phones and devices asserting that they hold key evidence of a crime and they have the right to demand and confiscate the devices.  Several videos on the tube showing police forcibly grabbing the devices, and things like that.   Policies vary by State, city, etc.  The law, well, somewhat open to interpretation.  Some people were even charged with obstruction of justice and things like that if they didn't give up their device.  No doubt there will be more and more cases like that as time goes on since so many people have smart phones, and cell phones etc

19 hours ago, BuckBee said:

I was on a bus back from Mukdahan and police come on that collecting money from the laos under pretence it for making merit :-/ sleazy low stuff, ignored myself and those with thai ID's but all with lao passports was stuffing envelope with notes :-/  .

They should have told the cops to get stuffed rather than stuff envelope with hard earned money. The PM sits in government house or where ever and rails against corruption. Dear Mr. Prayuth your message is not resonating. 

16 hours ago, ignis said:

Still the same only they keep changing the name........ only yesterday UK headline under highway was ' More than 50,000 drivers a year hit with fines on smart motorways'

£1.1 million was take [ just on the Smart Motorways ] from highway fines last year.  !!

I think the difference is that in the UK they don't make up that you committed an offence.

Some years ago when I was living down South a young Thai I knew (he was the brother of a good friend's Thai wife) was talking to me in a bar one night and telling me how he had applied for the police force and would soon be taking the entry exams. He was telling me how good it will be as he will have a gun and can legally shoot people and can get money anytime day or night. Not a word about serving the public. I can't recall ever meeting him again so have no idea if he was successful in his application.

On 11/10/2016 at 10:44 AM, gk10002000 said:

Here in the USA there are several well documented instances of police grabbing cell phones and devices asserting that they hold key evidence of a crime and they have the right to demand and confiscate the devices.  Several videos on the tube showing police forcibly grabbing the devices, and things like that.   Policies vary by State, city, etc.  The law, well, somewhat open to interpretation.  Some people were even charged with obstruction of justice and things like that if they didn't give up their device.  No doubt there will be more and more cases like that as time goes on since so many people have smart phones, and cell phones etc

Aussie cops are probably worse, they'd tazer you into a coma then charge you with obstruction of justice. 

On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 at 3:18 PM, elgordo38 said:

A masked man with no identity dressed as a cop. The Lone Stranger maybe trying to rob the rich Chinese to give to the poor. 

Did Robin Hood wear a mask when taking from the rich to give to the poor? 

I have a car cam that I can swivel around to view the driver's window. It depends on the policeman's attitude whether I do that or not. Just doing that may be considered an aggressive move. My second line of defence is the wife who can make the windscreen wipers rattle in three languages if she feels like it.

If I pay up I feel bad about it but when you're on a long journey you don't need hassle. Just poke ‎฿100.- at the guy and close the window.