I've been conned by a Westerner.. need advice please

Neeeko

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And foreigners complain how bad the Thais are. From my experience it is the foreigners you need to keep a safe distance from.  Lost more money from foreigners than i ever have from the Thais. There are thousands of foreigners in Thailand both tourists and expats i keep a safe distance from. They are like a magnet for trouble. They always have that shady look you can spot a mile away. Most tend to look like this guy who scares the hell out of me. If you dress and act like a slob a big red flag. Thousands of foreign criminals here in Southeast Asia. And my hunch there are likely a few dozen alone on this site.

12032185_653131678162524_5746639964306813967_n.jpg

4 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

So, never invest anything in Thailand unless you can easily afford to lose the money???? Actually that's what I'd advise anyone investing in any country in the world.

Don't assume Thailand is any worse than any other country. Ever hear of the multi-billion dollar rip off done by American and British banks? And not one of them busted by so-called law-enforcement.

There is a massive difference between investing in something that loses value or even fails for valid reasons, and having your investment stolen from you because there is little or no legal protection or official oversight in the country you have invested in.

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

And foreigners complain how bad the Thais are. From my experience it is the foreigners you need to keep a safe distance from.  Lost more money from foreigners than i ever have from the Thais. There are thousands of foreigners in Thailand both tourists and expats i keep a safe distance from. They are like a magnet for trouble. They always have that shady look you can spot a mile away. Most tend to look like this guy who scares the hell out of me. If you dress and act like a slob a big red flag. Thousands of foreign criminals here in Southeast Asia. And my hunch there are likely a few dozen alone on this site.

12032185_653131678162524_5746639964306813967_n.jpg

EXACTLEY 

49 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

There is a massive difference between investing in something that loses value or even fails for valid reasons, and having your investment stolen from you because there is little or no legal protection or official oversight in the country you have invested in.

Thanks for adding clarity.  Not!

5 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

He said his name was on the company papers which indicates he was a shareholder. To find out if he was a shareholder will not be too difficult and dont need to cost too much. If he was a shareholder he has a choice between a civil case which will cost him money or opening a fraud case or both. If he does have the money he should go with a criminal case which he then can follow with a civil case. 

Even if the OP was a shareholder, if he held under 25 per cent of the shares he would have zero control of anything that went on in the business.

If the majority shareholer(s) held over 75 per cent they are entitled to pass a special resolution to place the company into liquidation.

There would be nobody to sue and nothing to be gained.

Of course we don't know what percentage (if any) the OP as he doesn't seem that sure himself.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, mcfish said:

Send a couple of moto taxi guys to give him a good beating then ask him again.. Rinse n repeat..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I employed this method once when a fellow foreigner in BKK ripped me off many years ago.  I didn't use moto taxi guys, but something similar.  It was surprisingly effective.  They didn't even need to hurt him, as soon as he saw them, he went straight to the bank and handed over the money.  I had to pay the guys who sorted it out a 10 percent fee but it was money well-spent. 

The problem with talking about this on the internet is it will never go away!Twenty five years from now

you may end up in court and some one asks you if you have violent tendencies ,you answer ;no of course not.

Out comes a pile of papers and ,25 years ago you said to do this and this and this.

If you ever consider violence you do not talk about it!!!!

I also have been cheated here in Thailand in my first years here,won the court case but the money is gone.

Never mind,i already made more than i lost but that does not take away the feeling of being cheated.No one likes that.

Naming and shaming works but make sure it is done from out side of Thailand,this is an easy one.

Are you telling me that most/all of the people that you've met in Thailand want to rip you off?  Seriously? 

No...was pointing out that a country with little recourse or appetite to apply a rule of law doesn't reflect on a persons lack of trust when dealing in that country, but reflects on the country. That also doesn't reflect on individual Thai people.
I have far less trust in Thailand than I do my own country, for the simple fact I have easy recourse other than a gang of thugs or bribes to to do my bidding.

On 11/9/2016 at 11:35 PM, sirmud63 said:

yes , rule number 1 .  never spend anything here that you carnt afford to loose .

Yes rule # 1.

You may research initial company registration and what your role was then, the number of shares, etc.

And when was the company closed.

And why you were not advised about company closure. Did you change anything such as address, tel #, etc.?

You'll have a better idea of why he could get away with it.

About new company: you have no right on it, bad news.

Now if you're ultimately considering taking a lawyer, you should add up lawyer's expenses.

I could not be bothered reading beyond the first page of this thread, so just my twopence as a former lawyer: 5k Euro, 4k quid, or whatever are not a sum you want to get involved in an international lawsuit over. Certainly not if you are putting yourself at the locals mercy in that you likely can't read the language and at least try and make up your mind about the relevant statutes and public registers and can't talk proper to the  guy you need to hire as a lawyer, unless it's someone very expensive. The risk of losing even more than the original sum is too great to try doing that, unless money is no concern; doesn't sound like that. It's called throwing good money (which you still have) after bad money (which by the sound of it you are very unlikely to ever recover). I could possibly tell you a couple of things about company law and how you step into a company's shoes if you take over their name, don't know if that holds true in Thailand and even so you don't know if you will ever be able to nail down their assets which are maybe vested in s.o. else's name and leased out and whatnot.

I've had a case where some lady invested a lot more money in some business in Germany, a snack bar in some picturesque location down-south, never looked after that business because the guy she hired to tend to it was so swell, and found out it had all vanished just like that, with the inland revenue breathing down her neck. Told her to not even think of going after that lowlife, no money to be had. Same with some of my own fees, with some people you might just write them off. They either deign to pay or nobody can make them. They are the sort of existence-artists who have arranged themselves with living their lives on assets nobody can prove or touch, and the courts and bailiffs on top. Just stopped bothering and get away with it.

Write it all off is the phrase of the day for this.

Oh My God! You farangs are simply so hilarious! Many of you condemn thais and thailand and still stay here. Many of you condemn other races that live here like the Indians, Chinese etc. and yet most of you get screwd or ripped off by your own kind......lol!  Hilarious lot. Me and my thai friends also burst out laughling when discussing about farangs. These days whenever I see one, I simply end up giggling!

3 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Oh My God! You farangs are simply so hilarious! Many of you condemn thais and thailand and still stay here. Many of you condemn other races that live here like the Indians, Chinese etc. and yet most of you get screwd or ripped off by your own kind......lol!  Hilarious lot. Me and my thai friends also burst out laughling when discussing about farangs. These days whenever I see one, I simply end up giggling!

I don't.....

But if you're happy that's cool.....:stoner:

Talk to a lawyer. For a small amount of money. They can write a nasty letter. Do it at the height of low season. when stress levels are high.

it is pretty easy to sue someone here. I have been on both sides of law suits here.

The key is to have a lawyer on your side that is fair. AND...is a member of the Bar himself. With a registered number. not a farang or a Thai with a law business that cannot argue in court. 

It really is not so bad of a procedure. Just takes time.

My bet would be you would spend about 30k if this went to court and including the letter.

However if the verdict is appealed. either way it goes. you would have to pay again for another round.

Edited by NickJ
None

Are you all there?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Thanks for all your replies. I think paying to get my money back would cost more than it's worth. I have learned my lesson and need to move on in life. Hopefully one day, if Karma is real it will come back to get him.

Have a good night everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 9:18 AM, Canceraid said:

yeah never see any Thai on Thai action here do we,  funny never met  any Thais who trusted one of their own even some Thai  employees  have to take photos  of what theyve been doing to prove to the  boss  theyve  done it if  asked

On 11/18/2016 at 5:25 PM, Neeeko said:

Thanks for all your replies. I think paying to get my money back would cost more than it's worth. I have learned my lesson and need to move on in life. Hopefully one day, if Karma is real it will come back to get him.

Have a good night everyone!

Karma  is  crap load of  rubbish BUT the  more people you piss off in life the higher the chance that someone will take serious offence and "deal"  with it.

There is  though no guarantee in this,  Stalin had a  good  try and   got  away with it.