Were do you think the best "Coffee" in Thailand is?

doggie1955

1 hour ago, Rob13 said:

I like the coffee, way over priced though and I hate being in their  shops. like a school library with an annoying tape loop .

McDonald's is usually a pretty safe bet for coffee, good not too expensive. Alot of Thai coffee has a bitter taste I don't like.

I do Starbucks quite often.  I enjoy the stronger coffee,

you get to read the paper, sit in a nice air conditioned

place, never rushed and always clean, for the little

additional cost, you get a lot more than just a cup

of coffee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

I only used good organic coffees in the French Press and Espresso machine back home in San Diego.  My favorite was the Costco Organic Rain Forest.  Since I've been in Thailand I just have a heaping tablespoon of Big C instant in a cup with honey.  After it mixes in I throw in some ice until it's cold and a dash of milk.  I'm just really interested in the "punch" these days.  It works fine and does the job.

Spending the month up at a friends farm in Yasothan.  He is a serious coffee drinker. He just said he kikes Red Cliff. It's been a nice treat. Might consider a French Press when I get back to Bang Lamung.

I have used Red Cliff many times.. The people there are great, but I find the coffee inconsistent. Plus, they never get the grind right..

5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I have used Red Cliff many times.. The people there are great, but I find the coffee inconsistent. Plus, they never get the grind right..

I lived in Puerto Rico for a couple of years.  They made coffee down there by simmering it in water and milk for about 10 minutes or so  I remember it really being rocket fuel!!!

11 hours ago, joeyg said:

I lived in Puerto Rico for a couple of years.  They made coffee down there by simmering it in water and milk for about 10 minutes or so  I remember it really being rocket fuel!!!

that was the rum....rummy

Robust bean is rubbish compared to the Arabica. No matter where it's from or who's roasting it.

Moccona Espresso green box, 250gms. B99-117.

Vietnamese coffee is only strong, it lacks complexity and favor. Black, strong and flat. Occasionally you'll run into a magic cuppa, but by and large is meh.

PS only persons that drink black coffee should even be weighing in on this imo.

Edited by ozmeldo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The problem is that coffee aficionados have different tastes in coffee. I personally like drip brewed coffee and prefer Colombian vs arabica beans. Arabic is the rule here, and I have not found much local that I like. I load my suitcase with Melitta Colombian Supreme whenever arriving from the US, which is rich, earthy and not at all bitter or acidic. Occasionally Friendly Market in Pattaya will have imported Colombian coffee. 

I have yet to find a local equivalent so I stick to the imported stuff. Or maybe go through a bag of local so I more fully appreciate my imported stash. 

Columbian coffee is one of many varieites of the arabica bean. Columbia was once the leader in arabica bean production, but Brazil now claims that role. Most of the coffee grown and exported from Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Indonesia is robusta, which is typically less complex than arabica, and is often blended with arabica in lower-end commercial coffees.

Like you, I prefer a drip (by hand or machince) preparation, although I have found some delightful, locally produced arabicas.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 11/14/2016 at 5:04 AM, joeyg said:

In NYC (which has more Puerto Ricans than San Juan!) the coffee they like is Bustello - cheap beans roasted to charcoal.  Yeah, boiled with water and milk.  Godawful!  My former mother-in-law loved, and apparently so did her friends. 

I don't know if they cleaned up their act, but about 20 years ago, when Vietnam all but took over the robusto market in the US (meaning the coffee that is sold ground in cans in supermarkets, like Folger's and store brands) labs analyzing the products found that a good part of the stuff in the cans was soil and sawdust.  VN insists on shipping it's coffee pre-ground, I wonder why.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Anyone tried this?
Sounds horrible...
Coffee, corn, soybean, margarine, sugar salt.
Is it this what Thais call Oliang?
If yes, I tried already. And yes, it's horrible.

Good grief, that's the way Malaysians do it: stir-fry the beans with all that stuff (never heard about the corn before, though), grind it up and do a crude brew with cloth filters.  I have trouble with fatty foods, and such stuff could ruin my day -- it took me a while to realize it was the coffee, never considered the coffee was greasy!

18 hours ago, bendejo said:

In NYC (which has more Puerto Ricans than San Juan!) the coffee they like is Bustello - cheap beans roasted to charcoal.  Yeah, boiled with water and milk.  Godawful!  My former mother-in-law loved, and apparently so did her friends. 

I don't know if they cleaned up their act, but about 20 years ago, when Vietnam all but took over the robusto market in the US (meaning the coffee that is sold ground in cans in supermarkets, like Folger's and store brands) labs analyzing the products found that a good part of the stuff in the cans was soil and sawdust.  VN insists on shipping it's coffee pre-ground, I wonder why.

We ground our own beans...

On 11/11/2016 at 10:19 AM, possum1931 said:

The grain or wheat bread you get in 7-11, that's the one with five big slices and cost 35 Bt, is the best I have tasted, better than anything in the UK.:offtopic: Sorry.

That's very true, I love that grain bread, I buy it from 7-11 all the time.

• 2 weeks later...