Were do you think the best "Coffee" in Thailand is?

doggie1955

When I first came to Thailand I was hunting for the best coffee I could fine, and I think I have found it...There was no way in hell I could drink the thai coffee.

I would have to say it's G7 coffee that I buy at Makro is the best so far, if you google;  Trung Nguyen G7  coffee in Thailand. And in Bangkok if you go to the Trendy Plaza you can fine Trung Nguyen G7  there,

this is all Vietnamese coffee . You can also order it online and get the black coffee and more like the gourmet blend. So tell me what you think and what you have found here in Thailand.

So far everyone I have turn on to G7 coffee, has told me that is the only coffee they will drink now...

cafe-10.JPG

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I am in Vietnam, I only drink their local coffee in their iced coffee offerings;  I can't stand the taste of the stuff in a hot coffee and personally thinkTrung Nguyen's mass-produced stuff to be the worst... in Vietnam. But I will buy some of the OP's recommendation and give it a try. Maybe their export product is better than what's available locally, same as I found in Brazil.

I have been working through 3 bags of Red Cliff from Chiang Mai that was recommended on an earlier coffee thread. It's really good and yields a consistently good brew.

More recently, I came across Nayung coffee while tootling around Isaan and brought home some of their Premium (orange pack) which is my current favorite. It's from Udon Thani Province.

I am down to my last bag of Letefoho beans from Timor Leste, truly the cream of the crop in the far east IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My Mrs has picked for her restaurant cafe'  a fresh bean coffee that's ground in the coffee m/c and it's from Boncafe' that is very strong.

Mrs NL is also partial to Boncafe. Personally, I find it a bit bland. However, I was working on a ship that had Boncafe beans that were bagged and labeled in Singapore and they were really quite good and tasted totally different from the stuff they sell in Thailand.

The problem with asking people is that with coffee, there's always a difference between what people claim to like and what they actually like. This is a proven phenomenon and I'm certainly guilty of it. When major coffee chains do consumer surveys, everyone claims to like strong/exotic/obscure coffee but when the same chains examine their sales, they find a different story. When asked, I always claim to like strong expresso yet I really like weak, milky, sugary crap, like iced coffee from Starbucks and I don't want to admit it. I shop at Makro too and haven't tried G7, but even if it is better I'll probably still stick with instant Nescafe! 

12 hours ago, jadee said:

The problem with asking people is that with coffee, there's always a difference between what people claim to like and what they actually like. This is a proven phenomenon and I'm certainly guilty of it. When major coffee chains do consumer surveys, everyone claims to like strong/exotic/obscure coffee but when the same chains examine their sales, they find a different story. When asked, I always claim to like strong expresso yet I really like weak, milky, sugary crap, like iced coffee from Starbucks and I don't want to admit it. I shop at Makro too and haven't tried G7, but even if it is better I'll probably still stick with instant Nescafe! 

LOL. It's not quite coffee snobbery but some may see it as that. I have to admit that the highest turnover coffee product in the NL household is Nescafe's instant 3-in-1 packets!

If any coffee aficionados are around Phra Khanong, "Abstract-13" is a high end coffee machine supplier on Sukhumvit 71, two doors past Pridi 16.  They sell several really good coffee blends marketed to major hotels.  Best coffee I've found in Thailand and several friends who I have given samples to agree.  Worth the trip to try.

My own. I grow some in the garden, and mix it with some local grown stuff in Tambon Long Khod, Phrao. To de-husk it and roast it, I go to the agricultural department of Chiang Mai University. It's a nice little sideline earner for them, done to perfection. I muster about12 kilo a year.

Many of you may know about Pick-Your-Own or U-Pick strawberries back in the UK and USA, well now is the time to come and pick your own arabica coffee cherries here in Paksong, Laos. You can choose the widespread commercial Catimor variety, or go for the superior original Typica and Java varieties. Take the fresh cherries back home to Thailand and convert them to green beans, and then roasted coffee beans, yourself. Not so difficult. PM me if you're interested. 

Edited by JungleBiker
Corrected typos

20 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

Laos.  The Thais are so proud of the fact that they were never anyone's colony.  Fair enough, but that means that they'll never hold a candle to Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam when it comes to bread and coffee.

The grain or wheat bread you get in 7-11, that's the one with five big slices and cost 35 Bt, is the best I have tasted, better than anything in the UK.:offtopic: Sorry.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

The grain or wheat bread you get in 7-11, that's the one with five big slices and cost 35 Bt, is the best I have tasted, better than anything in the UK.:offtopic: Sorry.

is that the one they call roal bread?

The problem is that coffee aficionados have different tastes in coffee. I personally like drip brewed coffee and prefer Colombian vs arabica beans. Arabic is the rule here, and I have not found much local that I like. I load my suitcase with Melitta Colombian Supreme whenever arriving from the US, which is rich, earthy and not at all bitter or acidic. Occasionally Friendly Market in Pattaya will have imported Colombian coffee. 

I have yet to find a local equivalent so I stick to the imported stuff. Or maybe go through a bag of local so I more fully appreciate my imported stash.