Were do you think the best "Coffee" in Thailand is?

doggie1955

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Family bring Tetley tea here that l always used in UK, never heard of Yorkshire tea.

Yes Tetley tea is great, I thought Yorkshire tea was better, it is available here in Thailand as well as all over the UK.

3 minutes ago, Roota said:

Ask people in the coffee trade and they'll tell you that the very best available in this country is from custom roasters like Alto (Ploenchit Centre), Artis (Suk 18) and Ceresia (Suk 33/1).

Please read the previous post.

Edited by possum1931
mistake

48 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

The problem is that coffee aficionados have different tastes in coffee. I personally like drip brewed coffee and prefer Colombian vs arabica beans. Arabic is the rule here, and I have not found much local that I like. I load my suitcase with Melitta Colombian Supreme whenever arriving from the US, which is rich, earthy and not at all bitter or acidic. Occasionally Friendly Market in Pattaya will have imported Colombian coffee. 

I have yet to find a local equivalent so I stick to the imported stuff. Or maybe go through a bag of local so I more fully appreciate my imported stash. 

Colombian is ARABICA coffee bean...

https://danielmiessler.com/study/coffee/#gs.6djyHrA

At least the original poster put coffee in inverted commas before recommending some great instant "coffee".

I've recommended Bluekoff coffeee before - the A5 roast.

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

When I am in Vietnam, I only drink their local coffee in their iced coffee offerings;  I can't stand the taste of the stuff in a hot coffee and personally thinkTrung Nguyen's mass-produced stuff to be the worst... in Vietnam. But I will buy some of the OP's recommendation and give it a try. Maybe their export product is better than what's available locally, same as I found in Brazil.

I have been working through 3 bags of Red Cliff from Chiang Mai that was recommended on an earlier coffee thread. It's really good and yields a consistently good brew.

More recently, I came across Nayung coffee while tootling around Isaan and brought home some of their Premium (orange pack) which is my current favorite. It's from Udon Thani Province.

I am down to my last bag of Letefoho beans from Timor Leste, truly the cream of the crop in the far east IMHO.

I really like the Vietnamese coffee that comes with syrupy condensed milk. I don't know the name but I had it in a restaurant once and damn, it's good. 

Bon Cafe in my own Saeco Royal automatic, proper espresso cup (single shot). Specifically the Dubai Express roast beans made from arabica grown in Thailand. Outside the house i avoid most coffee shops, buy the iced coffee from sidewalk vendors, a horrible mix of Nescafe, condensed milk & sugar, in huge paper cup. Awful but very cooling on hot day.

38 minutes ago, coops said:

Colombian is ARABICA coffee bean...

https://danielmiessler.com/study/coffee/#gs.6djyHrA

At least the original poster put coffee in inverted commas before recommending some great instant "coffee".

I've recommended Bluekoff coffeee before - the A5 roast.

Kinda sorta. . . 

Colomibian Coffee

Colombian coffee is the highest quality of coffee beans. It is low in caffeine content and acidity. Colombian coffee is a variety of Arabica beans grown exclusively in Colombia. The coffee beans are washed during the process hence this variety is also popularly called “Washed Arabica.” The washing procedure helps in purification and in reducing the acidity of the beans. This gives a richer and stronger aroma to the coffee.

Colombian coffee is considered to be of superior quality. It requires perfect environmental conditions for its growth. The beans are washed to balance the acidity of the beans to give them the ultimate, rich, and smooth taste along with a rich aroma.

Summary:

1. Colombian coffee is a variety of Arabica coffee.
  2. Colombian coffee is exclusively grown is Colombia while “Arabica coffee” is a generic term for coffee which originated from Arabia.
  3. Colombian coffee is mild while Arabic coffee is stronger. 
Edited by ftpjtm

I found buying coffee directly from producers best in terms of quality/price. Lots of seller can be found on Facebook, always paid in advance and never been cheated so far.

Currently I buy bulk 5-10kg beans from Chang Rai, get them delivered to , grind them them at home and get super fresh coffee every day.

19 hours ago, jadee said:

The problem with asking people is that with coffee, there's always a difference between what people claim to like and what they actually like. This is a proven phenomenon and I'm certainly guilty of it. When major coffee chains do consumer surveys, everyone claims to like strong/exotic/obscure coffee but when the same chains examine their sales, they find a different story. When asked, I always claim to like strong expresso yet I really like weak, milky, sugary crap, like iced coffee from Starbucks and I don't want to admit it. I shop at Makro too and haven't tried G7, but even if it is better I'll probably still stick with instant Nescafe! 

G7  3-1is instant...

Another vote for Bluekoff (I believe we get Blend 1), though Doi Chaang is good too.

We recently bought a new machine and got a couple of kilos of free beans from Hillkoff which was surprisingly decent for the price they sell at - we had the following two types which were best when blended together:

http://www.hillkoff.com/product-th-575649-5050622-Italian+roasted+กาแฟธงฟ้าราคาพิเศษ+500+g.html
http://www.hillkoff.com/product-th-575649-5050619-French+Roast+กาแฟธงฟ้าราคาพิเศษ+500+g.html

Not bad for 380 a kilo.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I like Thai street coffee, love Vietnamese coffee, but Lao coffee takes it to a new level, the best on the planet.....for me.

It's creamy with a hint of chocolate, and to enjoy a Lao street coffee, made in a cotton sack immersed in hot water, condensed milk added, is as close as it can be to heaven.

Edited by F4UCorsair

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Nescafe red instant with a dash of original Mekhong. Cleans the pipes.

And would probably degrease your car engine too!

I can't do Instant coffee and put It on the same level as McDonalds food, damned near poison.

9 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Another vote for Bluekoff (I believe we get Blend 1), though Doi Chaang is good too.

Being a devoted coffee drinker over more than 40 years, Bluekoff ist in Thailand certainly the best choice. There were times when I had to bring Lavazza from Europe to evade the rough burns of Doi Chang and others (only somehow enjoyable when iced - as most Thais like it). The coffee of the cheap variety sold at the roadside would for an Italian be hardly drinkable as a hot brew. My advice: look up Bluekoff in Google, they dispatch countrywide. For small orders you have to pass by their shop on Lardprao very near Viphavadee. A4 is their mild yet full-bodied variety. Best with a real espresso machine.

On 11/10/2016 at 1:51 PM, NanLaew said:

Mrs NL is also partial to Boncafe. Personally, I find it a bit bland. However, I was working on a ship that had Boncafe beans that were bagged and labeled in Singapore and they were really quite good and tasted totally different from the stuff they sell in Thailand.

Boncafe has been around for a long time. Mostly due to their service (to the restaurant/hotel industry) and QC. Been my fav for 10+ years. Although they recently sold to the Italians. Haven't had much since then. Available in most mid to  upper scale supermarkets.

On 11/10/2016 at 6:40 PM, NanLaew said:

When I am in Vietnam, I only drink their local coffee in their iced coffee offerings;  I can't stand the taste of the stuff in a hot coffee and personally thinkTrung Nguyen's mass-produced stuff to be the worst... in Vietnam. But I will buy some of the OP's recommendation and give it a try. Maybe their export product is better than what's available locally, same as I found in Brazil.

I have been working through 3 bags of Red Cliff from Chiang Mai that was recommended on an earlier coffee thread. It's really good and yields a consistently good brew.

More recently, I came across Nayung coffee while tootling around Isaan and brought home some of their Premium (orange pack) which is my current favorite. It's from Udon Thani Province.

I am down to my last bag of Letefoho beans from Timor Leste, truly the cream of the crop in the far east IMHO.

What about Weasel S... coffee ?    Years ago one was able to buy the real wild Weasel coffee, very very cheap, now !!!!!!!!   I used to take beans back to the UK for my daughters.   I understand that so many people are "farming" it now that it has become an issue for animal welfare.

Still think the ground coffee in a little screw down container ( to make weak or strong )  that sits on the cup and, the jug of hot water the best.

Street hawker Thai Oliang coffee, black; luckily where I live there are two places whose businesses go back 3 generations.

Hands up how many places serve ( without having to ask for ) ice cold water ( no ice ) with a small black coffee or hot plain tea with cappuccino ?     For the latter sprinkle brown sugar on top and eat the froth, then stir the balance in to the coffee.

Alternatively one could, if one could find, drink Yerba Mate especially if from Paraguay: from my days as a "gaucho".

4 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Any where except Star Sucks,,  

I like the coffee, way over priced though and I hate being in their  shops. like a school library with an annoying tape loop .

McDonald's is usually a pretty safe bet for coffee, good not too expensive. Alot of Thai coffee has a bitter taste I don't like.

On 11/11/2016 at 8:09 AM, Jeffrey346 said:

Real coffee lover won't have anything to do with instant coffee...

Suzuki Espresso blend is the best I have come across here in Thailand.. Available at most stores.

I only used good organic coffees in the French Press and Espresso machine back home in San Diego.  My favorite was the Costco Organic Rain Forest.  Since I've been in Thailand I just have a heaping tablespoon of Big C instant in a cup with honey.  After it mixes in I throw in some ice until it's cold and a dash of milk.  I'm just really interested in the "punch" these days.  It works fine and does the job.

Spending the month up at a friends farm in Yasothan.  He is a serious coffee drinker. He just said he kikes Red Cliff. It's been a nice treat. Might consider a French Press when I get back to Bang Lamung.

Edited by joeyg