Pattaya Beach refill set for completion May 20

Rimmer

Pattaya Beach refill set for completion May 20

Chonburi Deputy Gov. Chaichan Eimcharoen said at a public briefing that the long-delayed, 430-millon-baht project to restore Pattaya Beach to 35 meters wide and add breakwaters to prevent erosion is scheduled for completion by May 20.

PATTAYA:-- The rebuilding of Pattaya Beach is set for completion in May with hopes it will reverse years of critical erosion.

Chonburi Deputy Gov. Chai­chan Eimcharoen said at a public briefing on the long-delayed, 430-millon-baht project that work to restore Pattaya Beach to 35 meters wide and add breakwaters to prevent erosion restarted on Sept. 29 and is scheduled for completion by May 20.

At the meeting at the Amari Pattaya, the Marine Department, Ministry of Transportation and Aquatic Resources Research Institute of Chulalongkorn University invited the public to share their opinions of how the work will affect them and how to mitigate the problems.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pattaya-beach-refill-set-completion-may-20-154731

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-11-11

So after the work has already started they then ask the public for opinions..isn't it normally the other way round
I.e. public consultation on the plan before work starts so that the public input can amend and be integrated into the plan thus saving time efforts and resources.

Or maybe the public opinion doesn't matter ?

everytime a contract is issued or a form is needed or another lame project is started,an opportunity,to fill pockets of friends and realtives.....why would they change?? ps..hows that ridiculous pumping system working out for ya all....5555

Edited by mok199

4 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

The pseudo-simians are at it again.:sad:

Yep. They'll be posting until a few months after May 20 then shut up except for a few of the usual obsessives. Most got in all their sneers and jokes about The Tunnel early but still the odd pseudo-simian erupts now and then, 'cause it's still not complete.

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

all that's missing is...:smile:

A few more non-pseudo-simians--but they're in the great minority when it comes to new construction/development projects. I mean, the maximum number only showed up for the greatest Pattaya doom thread in TV history: the epic 49-page Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End, started by one of the same proven reliable economists who'd confirmed the death of CentralFestival in 2009. It was all a few rational posters such as JSixpack, WinnieTheKhwai, brewsterbudgen, LennyW, Ling Kae, champers, NanLaew, guzzi850m2, and ThaiBob, among others (newnative, you shoulda been here), could do to introduce an element of sanity into the hysteria. Clearly just real estate agents, that lot.

That thread even spawned its very own OCD: the dreaded incurable Tic-Related Promenade OCD (TRPOCD). Nor did it wind down until more than a year later with the memorable last sentence by champers:

Patience is a virtue and Geena is a punk rocker!
          —champers, 2014-04-30 01:29:07

Yeah. Sheena, too.

Fortunately this relatively modest refill project, a mere footnote, shouldn't create such hysteria beyond the usual outbreaks of TVF New Construction Syndrome (TVFNCS) evident above. :smile:

The sand is taken away by mother nature  with lots of help from bad city planning.

there was a plan to dredge sand from a  ( quite ) nearby location and ship it to Pattaya beach  but the local authorities changed their mind about the deal so now Pattaya has to dredge the sand from  Pattaya bay it self..how they are actually getting the sand onto the beach I don't know

in other countries there are large dredging + pumping ships that are used to make  landfill sites  that could probably do the job in a week.

The only problem is that without some studies into the  way water flows in and around the bay  and some computer/small scale modelling

to see what works in stopping the sand loss     all the fill in sand will be quickly lost again.

11 minutes ago, johng said:

The sand is taken away by mother nature  with lots of help from bad city planning.

there was a plan to dredge sand from a  ( quite ) nearby location and ship it to Pattaya beach  but the local authorities changed their mind about the deal so now Pattaya has to dredge the sand from  Pattaya bay it self..how they are actually getting the sand onto the beach I don't know

in other countries there are large dredging + pumping ships that are used to make  landfill sites  that could probably do the job in a week.

The only problem is that without some studies into the  way water flows in and around the bay  and some computer/small scale modelling

to see what works in stopping the sand loss     all the fill in sand will be quickly lost again.

Yep, that is exactly what is wanted.

Repeated contracts and kickbacks.

I am pretty sure the same deal exists with road repairs.

1 minute ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Yep, that is exactly what is wanted.

Repeated contracts and kickbacks.

Yes I agree it seems  that way with many Pattaya projects  though I'm not entirely sure if half of the problem is just incompetence.

1 minute ago, johng said:

Yes I agree it seems  that way with many Pattaya projects  though I'm not entirely sure if half of the problem is just incompetence.

Another half the problem is that half the money designated for the work disappears into various pockets along the way.

5 hours ago, johng said:

// The only problem is that without some studies into the  way water flows in and around the bay  and some computer/small scale modelling to see what works in stopping the sand loss all the fill in sand will be quickly lost again.

Studies have been made, and modelling/simulations too. They don't just pump randomly  the sand to put it on the beach. They also build (at least?) 2 big "submarine dams", made from sands bags, who are supposed to slightly modify the actual currents so that they help to bring sand to the beach rather than to remove it. I saw maps for these dams in an Internet article, probably last year, but can't find it back now...

What is still unclear (to me) is how they will manage heavy rains water, with the 3 huge pipes they installed in south extremity, north extremity, and Soi 6...?

There is a simple fact that is being overlooked:  We did not have a beach erosion problem until after most of the old-growth trees (that mitigated beach erosion) were destroyed by the City.  The created this problem themselves.  Even today they have no understanding of the beach mitigation role the two most prominent old-growth trees (the Ironwood tree and the Asian almond tree) play.  Ignorance is bliss.  Another factor is the unsustainable development that has taken place over the past 20 years.  The issue of "sea current direction" is a straw man that diverts attention away from the actual source of the problem.  Unfortunately, the same morons that have made a mess of Pattaya beach also messed up Jomtien beach.  Jomtien beach now has a major beach erosion problem, and for the same reasons.

1 hour ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

There is a simple fact that is being overlooked:  We did not have a beach erosion problem until after most of the old-growth trees (that mitigated beach erosion) were destroyed by the City. 

From the data they show at City Hall at the beginning of this project, the erosion problem exists for more than 20 years! The destruction of these trees may have made the erosion worse,  but only in the upper part of the beach.

The marina also is a problem as its breakwaters perturbed the currents in a worse way for the beach erosion, with another bad consequences: meters of sand now inside the marina! mainly near the lighthouse corner.

The new breakwaters they are now building in front of the beach are supposed to fix this whole erosion problem...

If you trust the City Hall data, please contact me about some oceanfront property in Nevada, USA.  I saw the place 20 years ago (actually as far back as 30 years ago).  We did not have a major beach erosion problem back then.  The beach erosion problem started or became evident after the widespread destruction of the old-growth trees, around 2002-2003.  The destruction of more and more old-growth trees since then has greatly exacerbated the beach erosion problem.  The sea current patterns were no doubt similar over the past 20-30 years.  What other variable could have caused this problem?  Think about it.

On 11/12/2016 at 0:07 PM, JSixpack said:

A few more non-pseudo-simians--but they're in the great minority when it comes to new construction/development projects. I mean, the maximum number only showed up for the greatest Pattaya doom thread in TV history: the epic 49-page Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End, started by one of the same proven reliable economists who'd confirmed the death of CentralFestival in 2009. It was all a few rational posters such as JSixpack, WinnieTheKhwai, brewsterbudgen, LennyW, Ling Kae, champers, NanLaew, guzzi850m2, and ThaiBob, among others (newnative, you shoulda been here), could do to introduce an element of sanity into the hysteria. Clearly just real estate agents, that lot.

That thread even spawned its very own OCD: the dreaded incurable Tic-Related Promenade OCD (TRPOCD). Nor did it wind down until more than a year later with the memorable last sentence by champers:

Patience is a virtue and Geena is a punk rocker!
          —champers, 2014-04-30 01:29:07

Yeah. Sheena, too.

Fortunately this relatively modest refill project, a mere footnote, shouldn't create such hysteria beyond the usual outbreaks of TVF New Construction Syndrome (TVFNCS) evident above. :smile:

good grief...is TV your entire life? How in the world do you keep track of all the bs? Get a life away from the keyboard, you'll feel better?

2 hours ago, cloghead said:

good grief...is TV your entire life? How in the world do you keep track of all the bs? Get a life away from the keyboard, you'll feel better?

Piece o' cake, lots of just cut-and-paste, all that so many posts deserve. Did you know of my excellent typing teacher in the 10th grade? Mrs. Brown, bless 'er. If you yourself need help learning how to type, you might go here: Learn How to Touch Type. Here in our beloved cesspool, there's actually lots more to do than, you know, just drinkin' and enjoyin' soapies and threesomes all the time—which ain't too bad, come down to it. Forum posting is just one o' them other activities, albeit a very minor one that needn't concern you. Do take a look at Jingthing's posting record! :smile: tropo, one of my fave posters, does well for himself too.

I take it then you're among the posters who don't like it much when I point out the whinges, sly bigotry, failed forecasts, and sheer nonsense are merely repetitions of such stretching back decades (if we include the Pattaya Mail). I find it amusing how our forum proves beyond doubt Santayana's aphorism that "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

The erosion is not caused by the sea (inho).  The Pattaya floods wash it away.  Watch Beach road as it turns into a river during every downpour.  See how the water drains onto the beach and eventually into the sea taking tons of sand with it.  The tides flush away this surplus.

Elementary my dear Watson.

On 11/16/2016 at 9:13 AM, mikebell said:

The erosion is not caused by the sea (inho).  The Pattaya floods wash it away.  Watch Beach road as it turns into a river during every downpour.  See how the water drains onto the beach and eventually into the sea taking tons of sand with it.  The tides flush away this surplus.

Elementary my dear Watson.

It is also elementary that the old-growth forest that once covered Pattaya/Jomtien beach mitigated soil erosion for decades.  It was only after the morons destroyed the old-growth forest that beach erosion accelerated.

2 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

It is also elementary that the old-growth forest that once covered Pattaya/Jomtien beach mitigated soil erosion for decades.  It was only after the morons destroyed the old-growth forest that beach erosion accelerated.

You mix "... soil erosion..." with "... beach erosion...". Trees, including your much maligned old-growth ones were planted in the soil, not the sand. How exactly did their removal exacerbate beach erosion which is primarily a function of the prevailing currents. Any comment on the impact of the hugely reconstructed headland at the Dusit, say about 20 years ago?

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You mix "... soil erosion..." with "... beach erosion...". Trees, including your much maligned old-growth ones were planted in the soil, not the sand. How exactly did their removal exacerbate beach erosion which is primarily a function of the prevailing currents. Any comment on the impact of the hugely reconstructed headland at the Dusit, say about 20 years ago?

Sand is a "soil type."  Obviously, I am talking about beach erosion when I talk about soil erosion.  The two old-growth trees that they slaughtered are both known for their ability to mitigate soil/beach erosion.  Dusit?  Are you talking about this?

dusit pattaya.jpg

There are few places along the beach that are very rocky w/ almost no sand.  I am not sure what your point is.  Did they build the "point" over a beach area or what is a natural point?   Either way, an exception never makes a rule.  It is a fact that the old-growth trees mitigated soil/beach erosion.  One only has to look at their extensive root systems to understand why.   In the 80s the old-growth threes were 4-5 rows deep.  Now, in some places (e.g.  near the police station in Jomtien), they are gone. 

The City caused the erosion that we are seeing today.  Nature played a small role too, but the main cause was the destruction of the old-growth forest on both Pattaya Beach and Jomtien Beach.  And as far as city floodwater is concerned, a major reason for that is the destruction of all of the "green areas" that used to cover a lot of the city.  Those areas -- areas now covered by concrete -- absorbed rainwater, thus mitigating floods.  

Because of what the City did, tax dollars are now having to be spent correct their mistake -- tax dollars that could have be spent on many other necessary projects.  It is a shame.

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, abab said:

are they really building  breakwaters ?

It will help for sure !

I hope not as they are ugly.  What they should do it start planting as many trees as possible; the same trees that they destroyed.   It would also help to have a properly designed water drainage system.   Actually, the first step should be to hire a foreign expert with experience in beach renovation.