The week that was in Thailand news: Big Brother is watching you – but is it so bad after all?

rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Big Brother is watching you – but is it so bad after all?

d2d7ff53-f248-49b7-b89e-67caf96e8b2f.jpg

For many of us in school in the seventies, the set text of George Orwell’s stark image of “1984” with its surveillance and central control of the people seemed a century away, not a decade. We were young and hopeful, but with the passing years we have seen every corner of our cities under the watchful eye of some camera or another.

CCTV came first, now we do it ourselves with mobile phones.

Britain has become one of the most watched nations on earth. And the prevalence of surveillance increases with every passing year in Thailand. Even in our own homes can we really believe our every move is not being followed with our actions on the internet?

But Orwell’s iconic book made little of the benefits that the surveillance might bring and many people these days are willing to forego some freedoms when bad guys are trapped using the various devices now on offer.

This was a week in Thailand when the prevalence of cameras all over the country meant that many miscreants had to face up quick sharp to what they had done. Though whether the police, or the justice system will act on the images to the satisfaction of the injured parties or the public is quite another matter, at least the crimes and misdemeanors are there for all to see, even gawk at!

Funny to think that when I first came to Thailand the letters R and R meant “rest and recreation”, US troops using the kingdom as a party land away from the horrors of the Vietnam War. This week in Thailand one could be forgiven for thinking RR referred to nothing more than Road Rage!

Every day there seemed nothing but fisticuffs on the nation’s roads and byways as Thais of all social strata as well as plenty of foreigners got themselves in the national news.

Top billing was referred for Nott the Thai celebrity who became known as “Nott graap rot” for making a motorcyclist bow down to his “luxury” Mini Cooper. Delusions of grandeur and self- importance as he lorded it over Joe Soap. Even if Nott doesn’t lose his liberty at least he was stripped of his jobs after the battering he gave “Boy” was filmed.

Now a top lawyer has got involved saying its best to circumvent the police – probably exactly why he is a top lawyer; he clearly knows going straight to the courts means a better chance of justice.

Following the case – one of the biggest of the year on social media – everybody else jumped on the bashing bandwagon.

Firstly “graap-gate” was replaced by “wai-gate” as an irate westerner swore at some Thai men for nearly causing an accident. He demanded a wai to his kid in apology. The nationality of the effing and blinding man was not sure but the reporter called him British. Few Britons would argue with that likelihood.

Then we had the Belgian allegedly knocked down by the hi-so Benz driver in Rayong, a Thai married couple knocked off their bike in Bangkok for no apparent reason, and then a security man had his lights bashed out at an expressway tollbooth.

By the time a pump attendant got his head kicked in for the crime of asking someone to turn their engine off I was beginning to apologize to people before I bumped into them at Tops, just in case I got attacked for “being in a built up area in the hours of daylight”.

Thaivisa forum members thought the Belgian pensioner should have stayed in his car and they generally sided with the “wai-gate” man as a vitriolic wave of scorn was poured on bike riders for denting precious car fenders and driving off.

Mmm, I’ll stop when you apologize for killing us by pulling out without looking, thought Rooster who prefers two wheels to four. Don’t you realize we take up less space? Besides, your wing mirrors do get in the way of our fleeing the scene.

The final case was not road rage but equally terrifying as a minivan driver went through roadblocks on a drunken race to Bangkok with 13 passengers, one of whom, a soldier, had called cops to get him stopped.

Sterling Moss said he was not drunk and was a relief driver! Yes mate, your admission that you had only had half a bottle of spirits before taking to the road is unlikely to result in undue leniency. Cameras were not needed in this case – the driver convicted himself with his own statements of idiocy.

But at least amid all the raging on the roads we had a few laughs. My award for best comment of the week goes to CelticBhoy who posted: “Naughty Nott’s Not Nice. Lost his job, everyone hates him and he drives a mini. Karma Katastrophe”.

With all the road rage incidents we almost didn’t spot that there was something going on in the United States. Brexit 2, as I like to think it was a protest vote rather than the choice of rational humans, put Trump in the White House and Thais like the rest of the planet began to think about the new world order. I suspect most in the kingdom were more worried about the effects on the exchange rate and stock market.

I made the mistake of saying to the missus: “I wonder what it will mean for Syria?” She just assumed “Siriya” was another nutty pretty involved in a road rage incident, and went back to her entertainment news comic.

Thais generally are not overly concerned with what happens outside the nation’s borders though it was amusing to read online comments comparing elected leaders and what Thailand has at the helm. Suffice to say I am sure PM Prayut or Big Too will get on quite well with Big Tou-pee.

Concerning for Rooster, a former teacher of unblemished reputation, was the news that a convicted British pedophile had changed his name and come back to Thailand. He was pictured with young children – smiling, of course. Now I know the British require those on the pedo register to inform the authorities if they change their name but how about finding out who they changed it to, for goodness sake.

Like the bloody pedo it’s time they were made to get their finger out.

And so to this week’s Rooster awards.

On Monday Andy Hall the investigative journalist at the center of defamation cases with a fruit canning firm, earned my “Get Out While The Going is Only Reasonably Bad” award by fleeing Thailand after a ruling in his favor.

Andy clearly knows a thing or Too about Thailand – some don’t know when they are beaten and they certainly won’t forget it when they are. He can fight his subsequent battles from abroad while hoping that despite global warming the climate here becomes “less hot”.

“Forum Hero” award went to Kriangkrai Thai-orn a social activist who is not the only one in the country who thinks “security checkpoint” should come with an oxymoron alert warning. The word “yut-truat” (stop-check) on the barriers might as well be changed to “triam grapow tang” or prepare your wallet.

Kriangkrai was almost universally praised by forum members for getting two checkpoints to “go home with their tails between their legs” for essentially being illegal. But the words of warning of some experienced posters proved prophetic.

The head of Korat police predictably responded in kind saying it was perfectly legal and fine to issue “fines”. And it was Kriengkrai who was somehow at fault for ‘confusing the public’.

Take it from me, Khun Head of Police, the public, Thai or foreign, are not overly confused about what the role of the police can often be in Thailand.

Some of their antics remind me of Arthur Daley in the UK TV show Minder. When questioned at a police function in a pub why he was eating from a packet instead of the excellent buffet, he replied: “You are what you eat officer”, before offering the snack to the “old Bill’ and quipping: “Pork Scratchings?”

The “Thank You For Making Us Potentially Rich” award goes to the entire editorial staff of Thaivisa who are bound to have brought us the winning lottery numbers. These were on a government official’s car that had a rather large python slither into the engine compartment.

Predictably few bystanders cared about the welfare of the snake, or even the python, as they scribbled down the auspicious numbers. Anyway thanks, I’m presuming the numbers came up yesterday and I’ll get you all a beverage at the next TV get together.

Finally amid all the road rage and surveillance of the last week came a different kind of fight that was also thankfully filmed.

This one featured two Thai grannies who had had some dispute in their village and were encouraged to fight it out on a  horizontal pole (yes, contrary to the popular belief of some foreign residents, not all poles are vertical and used for dancing).

The grannies were egged on to battle it out with the loser falling into the murky depths below. It was all brilliantly lighthearted with whoops of delight as the sarong clad pensioners settled their differences.

To me a reminder of the sense of humor and fun that has always existed in Thailand and always will.

And why I for one would never live anywhere else.

Rooster

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-12

I have never really understood that case about the cheapo mini cooper and that the owner asked the other individual to bow down before it. Forced him/her, they say. 

But no such thing. At best you can ask me to do something you would like me to do and if it's a retarded thing like bowing down to you then I'll refuse no matter what. 

This was a week in Thailand when the prevalence of cameras all over the country meant that many miscreants had to face up quick sharp to what they had done. Though whether the police, or the justice system will act on the images to the satisfaction of the injured parties or the public is quite another matter, at least the crimes and misdemeanors are there for all to see, even gawk at!

Do these cameras actually work?

14 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I have never really understood that case about the cheapo mini cooper and that the owner asked the other individual to bow down before it. Forced him/her, they say. 

But no such thing. At best you can ask me to do something you would like me to do and if it's a retarded thing like bowing down to you then I'll refuse no matter what. 

I would never buy a mini myself, but the Cooper is not all that cheap!

RETAIL PRICE : 3,450,000 BAHT

15 hours ago, bokningar said:

You do understand that here, when quite a lot of people don't bother to read a short article.

A long piece like this forget it :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Yes I tend to get long typed/winded at times. Comes back to my days of when letter writing was an art and a pleasure. Old habits die hard. Today it is LOL and all that other junk. Yes we are living under a microscope. In the future our frig and microwave will keep an eye on us and no doubt be programmed to turn us in should we be bad. With all the CCTV cameras well they need lense polishing and maintenance. We have all read here of a crime committed and the viewing CCTV camera was "out of order" That is why I give them all the finger when I pass them by. A pox on them all. 

Edited by elgordo38

There is no comparison, I am afraid, between the ordinary folk usefully filming, with  their phones, the outrageous transgressions by the rich and privileged  - and the Big Brother world of Orwell, where it is the Government that is constantly spying on the people to keep them down and brutalised, as well as  re-writing their history so they can't get to the truth about their oppressors.

Ever wonder why Orwell's supreme novel is basically banned here? A bit too close for comfort (for some), maybe?

Big Brother watching, listening etc. is always, always bad. If you are one of the sheeple that think if you don't do wrong you have nothing to fear, you are very, very wrong. Who determines from day to day what is right and wrong, not you but Big Brother.

1 minute ago, sgtsabai said:

Big Brother watching, listening etc. is always, always bad. If you are one of the sheeple that think if you don't do wrong you have nothing to fear, you are very, very wrong. Who determines from day to day what is right and wrong, not you but Big Brother.

Huge wisdom in what you say. 

15 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

except here u  will pay with your  life...............thats what I object to

17 hours ago, bokningar said:

You do understand that here, when quite a lot of people don't bother to read a short article.

A long piece like this forget it :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

You deprived yourself of an entertaining tale.... but I'm sure there will be other, shorter, posts to entertain you anyway.

good one rooster ?

4 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

Yes your correct oops I think I hear a drone outside my window must close the doors and pull the drapes. I think it has an infra red scanner and is picking up my heart furiously beating. Oh mercy me. 

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

You deprived yourself of an entertaining tale.... but I'm sure there will be other, shorter, posts to entertain you anyway.

good one rooster ?

I had some entertaining tail years ago oops sorry I misread your spelling of tale my apologies. 

56 minutes ago, eeyang wah said:

Love these articles, please keep them coming.

"Siriyaa" - that's beautiful! My mrs has never heard of Trump and still thinks the USA is in Europe somewhere. Up there next to Australia. 

She must look DAM GOOD.

I can so no other reason why someone would knowingly pick a Mrs like that otherwise...

4 minutes ago, NotMyUsualid said:

She must look DAM GOOD.

I can so no other reason why someone would knowingly pick a Mrs like that otherwise...

Haha yes she does thanks, and I can list probably a hundred other reasons why she's the chosen one, but I'm sorry for your lack of imagination. As Rooster very well understates it, she's just 'not overly concerned with what happens outside the nation’s borders'.

Just now, eeyang wah said:

Haha yes she does thanks, and I can list probably a hundred other reasons why she's the chosen one, but I'm sorry for your lack of imagination. As Rooster very well understates it, she's just 'not overly concerned with what happens outside the nation’s borders'.

No need to feel sorry for me - I always choose a girl WITH a mind.

Road rage is becoming another hazard on Thai roads to add to disregard of the law, incompetence and male egocentricity

Of course cheap loans are continuing to accelerate the number of new vehicles arriving on the roads and innocent victims are piling up in the hospitals and the mortuaries

The Government seems largely silent on this trend - oh and almost forget tests of vehicle competence seem largely overlooked

Any further comment would be superfluous

JGV

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, farcanell said:

good one rooster ?

Except that 80% of it was a rehash of what we've all read over the past several days... not much in terms of 'added-value' (a term that makes even me throw up in my mouth).  

16 minutes ago, Docno said:

Except that 80% of it was a rehash of what we've all read over the past several days... not much in terms of 'added-value' (a term that makes even me throw up in my mouth).  

Reading it is not obligatory.... what I enjoyed, may not suit you... that's cool

enjoy it however you want... that's the beauty of choice.... and the delete button

?

6 hours ago, Docno said:

The first clue is in the title "The week that was. . . " 

Added value is in the witty summing up of events, and the collecting of disparate news articles into coherent themes of the week. Plenty of wry humour in there.. Syria - Siriya; Big Too - Big Tou-Pee. Even references to some comedy gold with Minder and Not the nine o'clock news...