Thailand Can Expect Less Attention From President Trump, According To Political Scientists    

webfact

Thailand Can Expect Less Attention From President Trump, According To Political Scientists    

By  Angela Ordonez

WASHINGTON: -- The United States under President-elect Donald Trump will likely pay less attention to human rights and the restoration of democracy in Thailand. This in fact, will result to reducing pressure on its military regime, as per two political scientists.

According to K news, subsequent to the Republican presidential candidate's victory, two prominent political scientists thought what his presidency will mean for Thailand, its people and its military rule. "It can be expected that Trump may not promote values such as freedom and human rights," said Pongkwan Sawasdipak, a lecturer of international relations at Thammasat University. Pongkwan commented that the United States may disregard Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha in ruling the military.

"They may not care about the Thai government. But that also means less criticism of [the military]," she added.

Full story: http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/26429/20161113/thailand-expect-less-attention-president-trump-according-political-scientists.htm

-- TRAVELERS TODAY 2016-11-14

Sometimes it's best not to be in Washington's line of sight.   Less attention may be better.  Thailand can progress just fine with ASEAN trading partners. 

200_s.gif

Edited by connda

it's a better bargain than that.  what do many Thais (and not just Thais, I'll give you) consider quite important now? tourism.... and surely that's the same as saying "aviation"...... and Trump is, for the moment still, a Climate denier.  that's a really big thing because the follow up this year.... to last year's exemption from COP21... was biofuels and "cost incentive plans" for aviation... meaning higher fares.

now that's temporarily off the table... maybe.  until a 'superstorm' heads somewhere other than New Orleans.... such as Poughkeepsie... by going up the Hudson let's say..... and Trump, Pence and Myron face the real music... with Myron gone in less than 60 seconds.

like I said, for the moment.

Edited by maewang99

52 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

hopefully trump will spend more time  dealing with issues that can be solved.  nothing is going to help the poor foreign laborers  in thailand. andy hall was lucky to get out with his life.

I'll add 'Climate Chang' to the list of things nothing can be done about. Even if it is man made there is too little too late to reverse it by any noticeable amount.

Well, Vietnam war lost, no places are needed for tired solders, consumer goods are from China mainly.  Strategically location of Thailand is neutral now. I am not sure the percentage of American tourists in Thailand, but cannot be in the first 3 either.  The only indisputable good from Thailand is Thai rice and rice is once a week on a table normally.

4 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I'll add 'Climate Chang' to the list of things nothing can be done about. Even if it is man made there is too little too late to reverse it by any noticeable amount.

Labourers don't care about "Climate Chang" they care about Beer Chang.beer.jpg

43 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

well we only have one planet and it is worth trying. hope trump gets on board with that one although i doubt he will make it a priority. when it comes to economy verses environment, economy tends to be given the most concern.

I have a policy and that is to totally disbelieve anything any wonk from any Academia Land comes out with as a public statement. From my experience they are that far removed from the real world their opinions have a value of nought.

Does anybody think that Thailand is even on the radar screen of the US Gov?  The only thing that put them there temporarily was the coup and "rights" is simply not on the agenda of Trump and his merry band of mischief makers.  Thailand matters to Thai's and Thai'a only (except for the Chinese grand plan).... not really bad place to be.

Good news for the USA and the Kingdom. Even better news for the Junta. 

Arrhh ! It doesn't really matter. Western model democracy was never designed for countries like Thailand. Twenty odd coups or attempted coups since they tried to embrace it in 1932 tells us that. Unfortunately, Thailand falls into the same basket as countries like Libya, Syria and Iraq. They need authoritarian rule. At least until they can get the national I.Q average up over 100. 

Surely we are all at least smart enough to understand that what one country thinks, or even says publicly about another country, has absolutely zero impact on anything whatsoever.

Whenever the UN -or anyone else claiming the moral high ground- start crapping on, the leaders of the state being lectured to, just roll their eyes.

I don't know why they even bother saying anything at all...

Who cares?

"Thailand Can Expect Less Attention From President Trump, According To Political Scientists"    

Well, that's a good thing. Thailand has often told the Americans to butt out and mind their own business. maybe now they will. At Thailand's cost?

I think many US expats will be more concerned to see what policies Trump makes that effect them.

It is clear the establishment doesnt like people taking money out of the country and it does everything it can to collect tax where it can.

Trump will be no different. Be prepared for some curve balls.

The Junta might think they're off the hook but it's cheaper for President Elect Trump to handle human rights in Thailand and set an example even if he couldn't careless about Thailand , than war mongering in Iran or Iraq , It's called seem to be doing something when doing nothing at all , Thailand's Government administrations should know it well, how's that water shortage doing general still talking about fixing that problem..........................................:cheesy: