Applying for 1st. British passport for my son

Hi guys,

I wrote on this topic some while ago but finally have an appointment at Trendy in a couple of weeks time.

Although I think I have the necessary documents,there is one burning question that perhaps you can help me with.

Obviously I'm over here at the moment but I reside in the U.K. not Thailand (my name is not on the Tabien Baan).

I've brought no proof over with me of my residence in the U.K. ,so my question is can my wife (a Thai national) and who has parental responsibility sign Section 9 of the 

application form ?

I would assume the answer is yes (what would happen if I had passed away already ?), but I'd still appreciate your input on it.

One last thing.I intend to take our son (who is 13 yrs. by the way ) with us.Will they let all 3 of us in to the interview?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Cheers.

I recently asked HMPO to advise the procedure where a foreigner had no documentation showing their residence in Thailand Here is the answer I received.

11/11/2016,

If the mother or partner of the applicant confirms in writing that they are willing to accept responsibility for the passport application this will be accepted

C Banks

Customer Contact Centre Agent

Customer and Digital Services

Her Majesty’s Passport Office

www.gov.uk/hm-passport-office

Suggest you provide such written confirmation from the child's mother and print out the above extract.

My son is also 13, he has British and Thai passports. Both passports were obtained in the Uk without any problems. If you have his birth certificates, one British, one Thai I don't see a problem. For the British passport I believe all you will need is the birth certificate, photographs, correctly filled out application and money.

My son's passport expires soon and I believe my wife can do this in Bangkok so no big deal.

Best of luck.

A few years ago I was able to get My Daughter a Canadian Passport in Poland even though she was born and raised in Poland and never had been to Canada, and I was living in Thailand. So where you live or are now has no relevance on your sons ability to get a UK Passport. The two most important factors here are you being a UK Citizen, and your son being your son legally, and your ability to prove both. These are also the same things to be proved if you were dead at the time of application to.  

I my case I had my Canadian Passport, My Canadian Birth Certificate, and my Canadian Drivers License although I probably didn't need all 3 of them. Since I was out of country, and couldn't attend an interview in Poland if one was asked for, I had to get a Lawyer here certify that I was the person I said I was on my Passport Photo, and other ID and signature.  

For my daughter she needed a Birth Certificate stating I am her father and also a Marriage Certificate from me to her mother. Since my Daughter was a Minor at that time she also need approval from her mother who had to sign the application form. Not needed if I had Sole Custody or not even sure if I didn't.

My Daughter applied in Poland through the mail and received her Canadian passport in a month or so without a hitch or problem, and no face to face interview. So I am puzzled why you need an interview. Did you send in your documents and they asked for an interview, or did you ask for the interview? As long as you can prove who you are and your sons relationship to you, there should be no problem.    . 

There is a company that advertises on this site who will obtain the passport for you without any hassle and know what is required

We received our baby daughter's UK passport in two weeks and as we live in the North of Thailand saved us having to make the trips

Well worth the fee.