Udon Thani: Find this car - video shows Honda Civic flattening two motorcycles and fleeing the scene

webfact

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Maybe the driver of the car sped off to get to the nearest police station and confess all? You know how getting a beating by the mob is an excuse used by some members of TV for doing a hit and run. Funny how they never go straight to the police station, mind. 

if not the nearest police station, then it must be to the nearest temple and become a monk and everything will be forgotten.

2 hours ago, Honthy said:

Bikers were too fast. The car had stopped already and the two bikes run onto it.  Otherwise, I do not understand why he tried to run away. If the case was recorded, he is innocent, if not , there should be thousands of witnesses who can help to find him

because in Thailand, accidents that involve a car and a motorcycle will always render the car driver (who has the larger vehicle) at fault. not to mention the payouts post-accident.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

The Thai traffic law clearly states that motorbikes are not allowed on the hard shoulder of the road, where they were riding at high speed.

What "hard shoulder"? It is clearly the m'bike lane as one can see from the footage after the crash. Just the fact that it is a 2 lane highway would alert anyone that drives outside cities in LOS that it is a m'bike lane.

2 hours ago, Honthy said:

Bikers were too fast. The car had stopped already and the two bikes run onto it.  Otherwise, I do not understand why he tried to run away. If the case was recorded, he is innocent, if not , there should be thousands of witnesses who can help to find him

The car had stopped already.

Did you watch the same video as I? The car was moving when the first bike drove into it, and only just stopped when the second crashed into it.

The car driver is definitely at fault. He must use her/his brain, the mirrors and the indicators, to safely move over into the designated motorcycle lane with  r e a s o n a b l e  speed, and  t h e n proceed, brake and make a left turn. Crossing the lane at snail speed in that angle, without watching upcoming traffic and not using the indicators makes such an accident almost inevitable.  And whoever says, that the bikes were to fast, they do 17m/sec just when driving 60Km. I could not see, that the motorcycles were speeding. But they need around 30 meters to bring their MC to a full stop.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What "hard shoulder"? It is clearly the m'bike lane as one can see from the footage after the crash. Just the fact that it is a 2 lane highway would alert anyone that drives outside cities in LOS that it is a m'bike lane.

A motorbike lane in Thailand? Was that just invented last night?

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

Please show me the Thai traffic law where it states they cant pass on the left side. Police told me something different. And I make a case that they were forced in the hard shoulder at the last moment because of the car.. it would be the place id go to avoid.

I don't have an English version of the Thai traffic law so that was a good try, but as you said in a previous post that you had one, I'm sure you can show us where it says they ARE allowed to take over on the left side.

Your last sentence, " it would be the place id go to avoid ", however shows that you shouldn't be allowed in traffic anywhere in the world.

Because in any traffic law in any country is clearly stated that you should drive/ride at a appropriate speed and distance to the vehicle in front of you, so that you in a decent way can respond to unexpected events.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

The Thai traffic law clearly states that motorbikes are not allowed on the hard shoulder of the road, where they were riding at high speed.

And then you have roads like Bang Na Trat which clearly have a motorcycle lane marked on what is the equivalent of the hard shoulder. I am always very careful on that as cars often cut across when entering side roads or gas stations.  

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I fail to see the point of that reply. Are you saying that every motorcyclist in Thailand has got it wrong?

Yes that is what I say, because I have never seen a sign or announcement of motorbike lanes in Thailand, but I know that several years ago the police department made it clear in announcements on public tv that motorbikes are required to ride in the utter left lane on highways and not beside the road.

There are significant stretches of Thai roads where signage states bicycles and motorbikes are required to use the hard shoulder. We need to know if that is the case here before passing judgement. As for speed, those bikes were not speeding. IMO, they impacted at under 30 km/h. Nobody can assume when they started braking and how fast they were going and in which lane when they saw the vehicle.

Use of indicators is so inconsistent that road users do not trust signals given by other road users.

You are so quick to bitch about bikes on the hard shoulder. Consider this - the police often 'fine' riders for using proper lanes, there are signs all over the country forcing riders onto the hard shoulder. Oncoming vehicles force cars and more often bikes onto the hard shoulder... Cars also use the hard shoulder to undertake - the police in Bangkok have enforced the mentality that the hard shoulder is not just a viable lane, but a requirement to use during rush hour. You can't solely blame riders for habits that are universal. 

There are more bikes than cars - they are a problem. Discipline and skills are low, but when an accident happens through combined fault, you cagers just blame the 'others'... I'd love to see you all bitch when just 10% of riders decided to drive a cage for a change. You'd be stuck in gridlock

58 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Where they were before has nothing to do with this accident, at the time of the impact they were on the hard shoulder, where they are not allowed at any time.

If they moved to the hard shoulder at the last second means they were driving too fast or didn't pay attention to traffic ahead.

Motorbikes are by law required to keep in the left lane, but are of course allowed to pass slower vehicles from the right side as well as go to the right lane when have to make a right turn, they are not allowed to pass slower vehicles from the left side however.

2 hours ago, seahorse said:

In my opinion the two motorcyclists are at fault for travelling too fast and overtaking on the wrong side.

2 hours ago, garywim said:

Again, my pet peeve, no helmets worn by either motorbike and they are undertaking on the left side and I presume the car driver isn't using mirrors or he should have seen the bikes (no excuse)

For your viewing pleasure. Now, go ride a scooter in the left lane near a cop and see what happens. The law, and the enforcement of the law are two different things. If everyone knows that you get busted for riding in the proper lane, then the hard should becomes the bike lane. When signs like this are interpreted as 'bike lane' what do you think riders will do?

12 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

A motorbike lane in Thailand? Was that just invented last night?

stock-photo-bike-lane-signpost-for-bicycle-and-motorcycle-in-thailand-word-on-the-bottom-signpost-means-keep-380111056.jpg

Any decent driver needs to be aware of the bulletproof motorbike drivers. If the driver had used his turn signal, that probably wouldn't have happened. Motorbikes often try to pass even if you are using your turn signal. I have had to stop a number of times to allow the idiot motorbike drivers to pass by in the direction I was turning.

At the end of the day in a country were you can jump off an iron buffalo into a truck drive to a driving test (lol) centre and get a licence within a couple!e of hours what do you expect,

Kids, well we have all seen them I meen kids ive seen maybe a 7 year old speeding about, what do you expect?

Thailand isn't blessed with the greatest driving rules,

Still no excuse for what happened there was faults on all parties involved,

I will say one thing it just shows you need to have your wits about you at all times

3 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

For your viewing pleasure. Now, go ride a scooter in the left lane near a cop and see what happens. The law, and the enforcement of the law are two different things. If everyone knows that you get busted for riding in the proper lane, then the hard should becomes the bike lane. When signs like this are interpreted as 'bike lane' what do you think riders will do?

stock-photo-bike-lane-signpost-for-bicycle-and-motorcycle-in-thailand-word-on-the-bottom-signpost-means-keep-380111056.jpg

OK, I believe you, though I have never seen such a sign.

As for the video in the OP, I see at least 10 of bikes all in the left and even the right lane of the road, and only 2 bikes on the hard shoulder.

It is also obvious that they din't move there to avoid the car, because then they would have hit the car at an angle.

2 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Can't understand the comments on here. The inside lane is for motorbikes and if they stray outside onto the road everyone gets upset. As a driver you have to be aware of them and adjust your movements accordingly. 

The car driver had not eased into the far left lane as a preparation to turning left; the car driver was almost stooped in the middle lane then quickly turned left without checking and stopping his car when he realized there was moving motorcycles approaching in the left lane, the lane they should be travelling in. IMHO the car driver is at fault. 

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nah, that was the hard shoulder.

Funny thing is I have never heard of the bike lane being refereed to as the hard shoulder. As someone posted above , there are many road signs saying the bike lane is for bikes  , rickshaws , bicycles  , in fact 2 of us got stopped by the brown clowns a couple of years ago and we were told to ride in the bike lane, I had a PCX and my mate had a Triumph Bonny. We both said 'Yes ' then ignored him.

2 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

not unless you call the police out on it and ask them to show you the law in the book, carry the book. They balk every time they know. Also make sure you ask for their ID first!

Would you ask the police in your country to show you the law in the book? No, I thought not.

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Interpretation of the Law , is  defined by the  Nationality  of the car driver .

IMO .

All were at fault. The car driver especially as he appears to have almost missed the turn and then didn't signal. Not that signaling would have made any difference to the bikes, as they would have continued to overtake anyway. And the were going too fast to stop safely or take evasive action.

4 hours ago, seahorse said:

In my opinion the two motorc sclists are at fault for travelling too fast and overtaking on the wrong side.

That may be the case, but absconding, and not rendering I

assistance Is probably an offence In Thailand as It Is In most countries.

Unable to edit typos and capital 'I' (eye).

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

All were at fault. The car driver especially as he appears to have almost missed the turn and then didn't signal. Not that signaling would have made any difference to the bikes, as they would have continued to overtake anyway. And the were going too fast to stop safely or take evasive action.

There are at 2 or more cars stopping. The car what want to turn left and the car with the camera. And for sure some more in the back. But this stupid motorbike drivers give a shit on it and drove fast outside the traffic line. They have to take care what happen in their front not otherwise.

If you crash inside another vehicle it is YOUR FAULT because YOU not take care!!!

So easy it is!!!

Edited by snowgard

Looks like the car driver was doing the turn correctly, indicating in time no sudden hard lefty. Boy I have had so many near misses myself turning left AND right with motorcycles turning across me. Being a farang I realize fully that I'd probably be considered at fault no matter what.  :omfg:

49 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

OK, I believe you, though I have never seen such a sign.

As for the video in the OP, I see at least 10 of bikes all in the left and even the right lane of the road, and only 2 bikes on the hard shoulder.

It is also obvious that they didn't move there to avoid the car, because then they would have hit the car at an angle.

It is not a question of what any of us know or have seen though is it. It is a matter of fact that the vast majority of Thai scooter riders will answer 'bike lane' or 'left-most' when asked where they are supposed to ride. There are signs telling them to do so everywhere and cops telling them regardless of the signage. I have this discussion with Thai riders often, and the police on occasion. I spent 30 minutes discussing it among other issues with the chief of police for Chiang Rai province a couple of years back...

The bikes were in the leftmost lane before the rear of the car with the dashcam. That is the only observation one can make. Where they were before is impossible to guess. They could have been in that lane for days, or could have changed lane behind the vehicle with the dashcam. Only they know. Their line we saw them take was straight along the lane, but that only suggests they were in the lane for a minimum of 5 or 10 meters at the speed we saw them to ride at. We don't know how many cars were behind the car with the dashcam and therefore can't guess how long a line of slower cars there was, and therefore where they might have moved left to avoid those cars further back. It is all conjecture.

The riders failed to slow enough - sure. Approaching a junction even in the left 'normal' lane is dangerous, slow cars in the left lane is a warning signal that they failed to read properly. The car driver was at an angle that he ought to have seen the riders had he looked properly and if his mirrors were set correctly. He paused before cutting in to let one bike pass which shows he used his mirror sufficiently to see that one bike.

Anyhow, IMO the riders were not faultless, but the cager hold the majority of the responsibility.

1 hour ago, DualSportBiker said:

Thank you for pointing out that there ARE motorbike lanes in LOS, despite some posters disbelief in such. I can only assume they keep their driving to within city limits.

Every two or more lane each way highway I have travelled on has a motorbike lane, on which the vast majority of motorcyclists drive.

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

watch the vid again, you can see the indicator flashing.

As an experienced motorcycle rider (larger bikes) and the driver of a motor vehicle, I can only say and agree with most on TVF members, that riding up the inside of a vehicle is a major NO NO, as is not wearing a helmet that is tied up, and not wearing some kind of protective clothing, i.e. long jeans, a jacket, boots and gloves at the very least, as one would be sorry to be watching their flesh leave their body from the road.

The whole problem here in my opinion is the Thai law or enforcing it, e.g. the government should force all motorcycle riders to wear helmets, I am talking of a major campaign, day in, day out, and all motorcycle outlets to include helmets with all sales of motorcycles, a demerit system on licences should also be applied with HEAVY fines and loss of licence.

The problem here is that most people riding motorcycles are unregistered, unlicensed and uninsured, but if the government and police are going to continue to allow these atrocities to keep occurring, then the hospitals will just have to keep trying to fix up the incoming, you would think people high up the chain in hospitals would be pushing for this.

As for the driver that took off, he should be serving time, as he was probably driving an unregistered, uninsured vehicle and was probably unlicensed, when will Thailand get its act together on road safety, probably not in our life time, being ranked the 2nd highest country in the world for deaths on roads.

Safe driving people. 

Edited by 4MyEgo