Things, I dont understand, in Thailand

Peterw42

37 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Well, I won't get into this too much but on the issue of Phet Nit Noy...

If people order a dish that is served spicy and you want it phet nit noy... well, what are they supposed to do? It is like ordering a cheeseburger but no cheese and no burger - - what??? Why not order a roll and salad... 

7/11 is not in the fresh coffee business - they are in the instant coffee business and probably do well with it... that is sort of like asking why they sell potato chips but not baked potatoes... I don't like instant coffee but I understand why they sell it - - and that fresh coffee is more a specialty item and takes time and attention to prepare... whereas instant, people make on their own... 

I wasnt saying they should make coffee (some do), they sell most other grocery items, but within the shelf's and shelf's of "coffee" they dont sell beans or ground coffee. 

Edited by Peterw42

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

Yes true I am not a book and I not give one s??t what people think about my English , all I care about is my bad English did not get me to become a very rich man I don't  brag much but when someone who has no idea about me try's and put me down because my English is not up to his  level makes me brag how rich I am and I am a very rich man because of hard work and street  smart , being good at English dose not make you  different then me or anyone else dose it .

Why don't you start a thread entitled "How to become stinking rich and unhappy"?

As for learning Thai, I'd focus on mastering my native language first if I were you (Perish the thought)

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:
  17 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

... I was riding my mc near the beach a few weeks ago and a girl jumped on the back.  I said "where are we going" she said "up to you".  I drove to a secluded beach and was properly polished.  So I can't really complain about that one.

Please be kind enough to share the location !  !  !

I dont understand the posters on here who don't appreciate that we expats live here because overall it is a better place to be than in our own countries, but deride us for expressing  opinions on certain elements here which can be annoying.  We never considered our own countries as Utopia and we have no reason to consider Thailand to be either.  We are allowed to express our opinions on any subject at all in our own countries and it is sad that we feel unable to do so here without risking being told to go back home, or worse, a jail sentence.

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Things I don't understand - why some folks line up to see the King 2 and 3 times at Sanam Luang!

Give others a chance, eh?

Also, why do some people there take that free food that's handed out and go and sell it elsewhere?

Shameful!

i dont understand why they go at all and I do  fully understand why they sell the food.......thats GREED

7 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I dont understand the posters on here who don't appreciate that we expats live here because overall it is a better place to be than in our own countries, but deride us for expressing  opinions on certain elements here which can be annoying.  We never considered our own countries as Utopia and we have no reason to consider Thailand to be either.  We are allowed to express our opinions on any subject at all in our own countries and it is sad that we feel unable to do so here without risking being told to go back home, or worse, a jail sentence.

I  wouldnt say necessarily BETTER at all, however  when your Wife earns a lot of money here it makes sense to live here, and thats "one" of the reason I stay here. The other is  my love of gardening.

Will we still be happy here in a years time?

It's ok sitting here saying how happy we are with our lives and how much better it is then our home countries,

But the big changes could come when and new king in on the throne.

It's something none of us know,

So make the most of it as it could all go pear shaped big time, 

18 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Why don't you start a thread entitled "How to become stinking rich and unhappy"?

As for learning Thai, I'd focus on mastering my native language first if I were you (Perish the thought)

I think you'll find George's native language is Greek.

19 hours ago, transam said:

OP..Why would you "worry" about what folk drive.....?

The OP is likely lamenting the general lack of spatial (personal and otherwise) awareness of individuals who, think that a vehicle that would be about as smart as a full-sized 'Hummer' in pretty much any inner city of the west, is a dandy idea here in the Mango. Without a clue apparently, as to the degree of complexity their 'prized' F-150 might bring to an already overly-taxed and highly-charged driving environment. The OP is likely not worried at all, transam, but rather embarrassed as hell, due to the incessant 'guilt by association' that winds up being the burden of most other well-intentioned and even moderately perceptive individuals. If I can sense this, I know it cannot be an uncommon bane for many of us. Keep in mind that this is only one of many obstacles that our 'general entitlement' and oftentimes wanton disregard for our environment creates, pretty much wherever we go, when 'winning the hearts and minds' of the locals should be of paramount importance in terms of our ultimate survival in our chosen homes. As I have increasingly requested. If anyone asks, I'm Canadian.  

Edited by Songlaw
Hyperbole, errant commas, grammatical bastardization, in other words, just about everything.

11 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If you want to be understood you do.

Can you explain the last paragraph please?

6 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

Grown Western men who wear shorts in public in a major city.  Shorts are for little boys.  Learn to dress.

Puleeeze. The British military wear uniform shorts in hot climates. Are you saying they are in fact boys?

13 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

Will we still be happy here in a years time?

It's ok sitting here saying how happy we are with our lives and how much better it is then our home countries,

But the big changes could come when and new king in on the throne.

It's something none of us know,

So make the most of it as it could all go pear shaped big time, 

Deviation from topic, but..................

I was happy as pig in clover living the life with the Thai wife, and then we went to live with the family........................

Yes, big changes happen for the most innocuous reasons, and definitely make the most of every day that goes right, because no one knows when it won't.

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

people who have a difference of opinion on this forum would rather slag each other off than have a discussion about their reasons for the differences of opinion.

Reasons to be cheerful, part 2.

31 minutes ago, geronimo said:

One more mr English you make me laugh .

I would say you would one who puts all his life spending in to thai for sure .

Yes I am rich you  jealous are ?. 

And I am good at thai language .

you need to learn to respect before you get on here and try and be mr English , people like you are a joke in it self , think you are better then someone else because you think your English is good and that is not true you are like everyone  no better. 

2 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

One more mr English you make me laugh .

I would say you would one who puts all his life spending in to thai for sure .

Yes I am rich you  jealous are ?. 

And I am good at thai language .

you need to learn to respect before you get on here and try and be mr English , people like you are a joke in it self , think you are better then someone else because you think your English is good and that is not true you are like everyone  no better. 

Lighten up George, we are both of the same species!

19 hours ago, RaggaTwin said:

Dogs in cars isn't healthy and most Thai dogs have fleas and leave hairs everywhere.  I won't be getting in to your motor.

so you wont be getting a drink in my house.he doesnt have fleas but shreds a lot of hair.

hairs in burgers EVERYWHERE.

Their love affair with reverse parking. My girlfriend will reverse park, even if its easier to just go nose-in, for instance when it's angled parking.

Why my extended family will never ask questions or try to make conversation.

Or this scenario: 

Me to girlfriend: Can you ask her/him this question? I'd like to know

Girlfriend proceeds to ask him/her the question and a lengthy discussion ensues.

Me to girlfriend: So? What's the answer?

Gf to me: He/she doesn't know.

Edited by Bassosa

Back on topic,

One that has always gotten me.

No matter how lazy the family are, the girls will always try and support them,

Respect to them for doing it,

It's like some of the lazy buggers in england, life on benefits, it's to easy for them they will never look for work,

Same same here, I've seen father's sit around all day doing nothing waiting for the money from there daughter, so they can go and get pissed for a few days,

I'll never understand this

one thing i can't wrap my head around is the market for ladyboys. And i say that with no disrespect or prejudice.

A ladyboy looks for a straight man as oppose to a gay man. But a straight man would rather a genuine lady, right?

So a punter from the west comes over here and looks for a ladyboy "playmate"; is he gay or straight or does he just have a fetish.

As I said, I'm not looking down on anyone who prefers a ladyboy companion, just not sure where the mind is set.

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

How did know know that? Must be very smart! Just realize if I did all the thing in that post, and you were right. One of the things would be that my bank account would be empty. After 16 year it´s still very healty.

Just saying. Your wrong! Big time!

I'd say you've got major issues of your own, dude.

4 minutes ago, nikmar said:

one thing i can't wrap my head around is the market for ladyboys. And i say that with no disrespect or prejudice.

A ladyboy looks for a straight man as oppose to a gay man. But a straight man would rather a genuine lady, right?

So a punter from the west comes over here and looks for a ladyboy "playmate"; is he gay or straight or does he just have a fetish.

As I said, I'm not looking down on anyone who prefers a ladyboy companion, just not sure where the mind is set.

Perhaps it is the attraction of something different?

6 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Yes, I have similar thoughts. Are they gay men who cant quiet admit it, straight men looking for excitement. I dont care about anyone's sexual preference but that does get me thinking.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I have similar thoughts. Are they gay men who cant quiet admit it, straight men looking for excitement. I dont care about anyone's sexual preference but that does get me thinking.

Well, you know what they say, one has to try something to know if one would like it.