Things, I dont understand, in Thailand

Peterw42

The following are things that vex me greatly, living in Thailand

Immigration offices that want you to supply a copy of your passport and some passport photos, then they scan your passport and take your photo.

Westerners who buy a great big pickup trucks to drive to BigC once a week and immigration once a year.

When a Thai partner says "up to you", as its never up to me.

Pet nit noi (spicy a little) is usually a lie.

Instant coffee is considered coffee. 7/11 has a whole section dedicated to instant coffee but dont sell real coffee.

A cheap motorbike helmet and a big mac cost the same, and both are a days wages if you work in 7/11.

Thai girlfriend will play "Karma Sutra show and tell" all night, then locks the bedroom door to get changed.

I would like to hear if other members have things that keep them awake at 4am ???

I think its basically an exercise in Buddhism, accept there are thing you will never understand and cannot change, and you are on your way to enlightenment.

Edited by Peterw42

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

As I learned long, long ago, don't sweat the petty things as long as you can still pet the sweaty things.... or something like that.

I think its something to do with seeing pretty things naked, lol

6 minutes ago, optad said:

Whinging farangs can set me off.

Westerners who move here fully aware of the property ownership and immigration laws, then complain about them. A bit like buying a house next to the airport then complaining about the planes.

There are many things I do not understand here but it was the same in the US. Honestly I think I shook my head more in the US then here but maybe that's because I had way higher expectations there. 

41 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I find it hard to believe 7/11 only pay their staff 120b (the price of a bigmac) per day, where did you get this number from Peterw42 ?

Ok, not entirely accurate, I think 7/11 workers get around 300 a day. So a large big Mac meal maybe. I believe the prices are different in different parts of Thailand.

I was more making the point of a days wages gets you a meal in a fast food chain, not quiet the same as in the west.

"A cheap motorbike helmet and a big mac cost the same, and both are a days wages if you work in 7/11".

Tell me more where are these helmets for 120 bht I need one.

"Westerners who buy a great big pickup trucks to drive to BigC once a week and immigration once a year."

not  all I use mine to pick the kid up from school so as not to offend you, letting a kid go to school driving a  motor bike brigade. 

And for genral dogging ecursions??

"Instant coffee is considered coffee. 7/11 has a whole section dedicated to instant coffee but dont sell real coffee."

lots of people quite like instant coffee  some of us were brought up on it. we couldn't afford real real coffee. 

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Ok, not entirely accurate, I think 7/11 workers get around 300 a day. So a large big Mac meal maybe. I believe the prices are different in different parts of Thailand.

I was more making the point of a days wages gets you a meal in a fast food chain, not quiet the same as in the west.

I knew what you meant, Peterw42.  Purchased a green tea smoothie thingy for my wife at Starbucks the other day and it nearly did come to an average days wages for a Thai.

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

"A cheap motorbike helmet and a big mac cost the same, and both are a days wages if you work in 7/11".

"Westerners who buy a great big pickup trucks to drive to BigC once a week and immigration once a year."

not  all I use mine to pick the kid up from school so as not to offend you, letting a kid go to school driving a  motor bike brigade. 

And for genral dogging ecursions??

"Instant coffee is considered coffee. 7/11 has a whole section dedicated to instant coffee but dont sell real coffee."

lots of people quite like instant coffee  some of us were brought up on it. we couldn't afford real real coffee. 

I saw some cheap helmets at bigC, 200baht, and last time I went to Maccas I spent around 200 baht, and I thought to myself that a 7/11 worker doesn't get much more than that a day.

*actual figures may variey by 10-20%, but you get the idea

4 minutes ago, transam said:

OP..Why would you "worry" about what folk drive.....?

Yes, You are right. 

I suppose I see it as a waste of money, a big 4WD truck just to go to 7/11, but if thats what people like, I will cross that off the list. I am worrying less already, lol

5 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

And for genral dogging ecursions[emoji23][emoji6]

I think your head is worth more than 120bt.

[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

Western man that come to thailand and say they did not come here because of the thai partner or the thai wife.

Hey , I didn't come here for Thai women ( or men) ,... what don't you understand ?

Cheap rent , dude !

I can't understand the guys that buy a car (or just a motorbike) and not a truck then need their shocks fixed every six months or constantly want to use my truck to move their crap.

I can't understand guys who say they are 'living the dream" of their FB page but constantly fly back to their home country to stay months at a time and complain about being bored when they are here.

I can't understand why eating spicy food is the criteria for being accepted as a foreigner.  Literally had a cop switch to my side after he confirmed I could eat spicy food without burning my ass. 

As far as the "up to you", I was riding my mc near the beach a few weeks ago and a girl jumped on the back.  I said "where are we going" she said "up to you".  I drove to a secluded beach and was properly polished.  So I can't really complain about that one.

Just now, ThaiWai said:

I can't understand the guys that buy a car (or just a motorbike) and not a truck then need their shocks fixed every six months or constantly want to use my truck to move their crap.

I can't understand guys who say they are 'living the dream" of their FB page but constantly fly back to their home country to stay months at a time and complain about being bored when they are here.

I can't understand why eating spicy food is the criteria for being accepted as a foreigner.  Literally had a cop switch to my side after he confirmed I could eat spicy food without burning my ass. 

As far as the "up to you", I was riding my mc near the beach a few weeks ago and a girl jumped on the back.  I said "where are we going" she said "up to you".  I drove to a secluded beach and was properly polished.  So I can't really complain about that one.

Dude! You sway the police by making them understand you can eat pepper without problems with your ass! Was it a case regarding someone that didn´t put pepper in your food as you are a farang, and you wanted to sue them for it?

And the "up to you" thing. You are really living the dream! I wonder though. How desperate and starving one must be for accepting a girl just jumping up on a motorbike while riding it.

All other things except that you have to eat spice food to be accepted I can understand. I have made my wife´s father eat mashed potato and fried fish, and even pickled herring, ham and other things for christmas.

Many local helmet shops have only 1 size!! Thai all have the same size head??

They sure do have somtam pet noi, try pet maak maak if you don't believe me.

I don't understand why they refuse to use the indicators of a vehicle, or fix their headlights....or bring themselves in danger when buying coconuts out of the window along the mainroad, or don't give a dime about safety nowhere at all, or never learn anything from their faults, or the whole justice system like becoming a monk and the old ladies still cook free food for them at 4 am.

Or buying a huge new car when the house is under construction but never finished for some reason. Or having 2 huge cars which cost double the price of the house and covering them every night but no money for a carport?

The whole loosing face i don't understand as well, my neighbour has many houses and new cars but no money to buy some gardening tools so he always comes to borough mine. Or having a Benz600 and shopping at a crappy dirty local market and be in qeueu for 20 minutes to park the thing.

Or being a very hi-so thai with a super job but when the family comes to visit they don't offer them any decent drink/food. And having great furniture but still sitting on the floor.  Or being rich and still eating chickenfeet soup.

Or living in a hi-so moobaan but not paying the annual fee for security/gardeners so everyime they pass the gate the thing starts beeping loud...or throwing their binbags in the binhouse knowing that the other side is open and the soidogs will drag everything over the street at night.

Or having a kid and being divorced, dad buys himself a brand new big pickuptruck but has no money to EVER go visit his son who lives with mummy 300 km away.  

The not showing price thing, i would show my prices in big letters and be sure i was cheaper than all the others so i would get ALL the customers untill the rest disappeared. Or the never make your shop look nice thing, crappy pavement and soidogs and dirty stuff everywhere...

The nosepicking thing, or waiters in restaurants shops who squeeze pimples infront of the mirror when customers are around...or when they sneeze in their hands and wipe it on their pants, right infront of their customer.

A cardealer who doesn't know the price if you pay cash. The whole discount thing, ask any shop for discount and you sure get some, chinese even give discount without asking for it. The living in a nice moobaan but it's full of bankrobbers with balaclava's. 

I can go on for hours like this. 

Things I Don,t Understand: (1) Foreigners that move here and do little or no research . (2) Foreigners that date and marry Thai hookers. (3) Foreigners that move to Thailand and complain non- stop because it's not like home. (4) Foreigners that move here and never learn to speak a word of Thai, walk around in a bubble totally lost, disoriented , and angry. (5) Foreigners that move half away around the world and spend their entire time hanging with other often very questionable foreigners you would not touch with a ten foot pole back home. (6) Foreigners that spend the majority of their days drunk and out of it causing themselves and the locals constant problems. (7) Foreigners that move to a foreign country and make zero effort to understand and learn the local culture and customs. (8) Foreigners that can only eat the very food they left behind and make zero effort to eat ANY Thai food. (9) Foreigners that believe they are superior to the Thais and therefore should be allowed to treat the locals like crap. (10) Foreigners that dress like total slobs. if you dress like that at home you would be laughed at and likely told you are not allowed to enter any public places. (11) Foreigners that believe that they should be able to grab at any Thai woman because they believe ALL Thai women are hookers. (12) Foreigners dumb enough to buy their Thai hooker a new motorbike, home, gold etc, etc, etc,  and until their bank accounts run dry on the average of about two years. (13) Foreigners that live in a walled off fortress like in Ban Huay Yang  afraid the locals might attack at night and perhaps eat their dogs afterwards. Has to be one of the creepiest places i have ever been to in Southeast Asia.  (14) Foreigners that travel and move here with zero common sense and as dumb as a rock. Below Typical foreigner in Thailand- Typical walled off fortress Ban Huay Yang.

u.jpg

DSC03622(1).jpg

Edited by Mitkof Island

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, You are right. 

I suppose I see it as a waste of money, a big 4WD truck just to go to 7/11, but if thats what people like, I will cross that off the list. I am worrying less already, lol

My missus's sedan cost a lot more than my pickup, for shopping duties we take my pickup. for 7/11 runs thats done on one of the scooters.

What I dont understand about Thailand are all the farangs that decided to move here complain so much about the place, some person in another thread was whinging that the police should crackdown on drivers who do not have non compulsory insurance on their vehicles....seriously whats that about ?

Edited by Don Mega