Things, I dont understand, in Thailand

Peterw42

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed one time in a particular branch of Big C that the trolleys gave you one hell of a shock if you touched the metal while in motion. I mentioned this at the checkout and the girl smiled but didn't reply. Then I saw the manager's photo with a phone number, so I called him and he met me by the checkout area. I mentioned the static charge and he laughed, saying it was impossible, so I asked him to walk with me to look at a product, and I grabbed an empty trolley, and as we got up to a good walking pace, I put his hand on the side and boy did he get a shock!!!!!

Priceless!!!!!

Things I don't understand - why some folks line up to see the King 2 and 3 times at Sanam Luang!

Give others a chance, eh?

Also, why do some people there take that free food that's handed out and go and sell it elsewhere?

Shameful!

15 minutes ago, geronimo said:

One of my favourites, although I can't do it if wifey is with me, in Big C, I will saunter around the electrical appliances until one of the staff comes over. I will then ask, in Thai, all about the appliance. It is unusual to find someone who can do this, so ... I turn it around and spend 20 minutes showing them how it works and explaining the dos and don'ts, to the utter amazement of everyone.

Fluency allows you to do this btw

How exciting, I am so jealous.

Off down to the Uni to enrol on a Thai language course a.s.a.p.

I dont understand calculus. Didnt understand it in the uk either.

Actually, I dont get how my Mother in Law can lose so much hair and not be bald. When she stays with us the cat makes a giant hairball nest out of it. not joking .

In and out of Thailand was a good thing.  Spending too much time in Thailand does your head in.  It is better spend a bit of time in KL or Saigon to get refreshed.  Even Cambodia can seem more reasonable than Thailand at times.  When find yourself asking such vexing, silly questions, leave for a week or two.

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Ok, not entirely accurate, I think 7/11 workers get around 300 a day. So a large big Mac meal maybe. I believe the prices are different in different parts of Thailand.

I was more making the point of a days wages gets you a meal in a fast food chain, not quiet the same as in the west.

Minimum wage in Thailand for 2016 is 300 THB per day.

A junior cashier in 7/11 may be on minimum wage but 7/11 stores all have a Manager, an Assistant manager, a senior cashier....  basically there is a career progression and not everyone working in the store is on minimum wage.

Whilst of course salaries in a convenience store will never be very high (no idea what a 7/11 Manager would be on), people on this forum should also realise that not all Thais are working for 300 baht a day, at least in Bangkok most of them are working for more than that and many of them for much more. 

52 minutes ago, geronimo said:

One of my favourites, although I can't do it if wifey is with me, in Big C, I will saunter around the electrical appliances until one of the staff comes over. I will then ask, in Thai, all about the appliance. It is unusual to find someone who can do this, so ... I turn it around and spend 20 minutes showing them how it works and explaining the dos and don'ts, to the utter amazement of everyone.

In my spare time I like to watch the grass grow but what you do sounds so much more exciting, iam gunna go learn Thai and give it a crack.

8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

In my spare time I like to watch the grass grow but what you do sounds so much more exciting, iam gunna go learn Thai and give it a crack.

and those  listening will TOTALLY IGNORE what the flang said as " they know best",seen it  all before

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Bamboo is the fastest growing  "grass"  in the world..........see it can be interesting

Just now, kannot said:

Bamboo is the fastest growing  "grass"  in the world..........see it can be interesting

nah the standard green grass type is fast enough for me as growing anything quicker will require the gardeners to come more often to mow it and a hit like that to the monthly budget would be catastrophic.

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

Sometimes I will stop a lottery seller and just snatch one ticket without looking at it, and the look of horror!

"You are buying a ticket, and you don't know the number"? she gasps.

I nod and smile.

I'm not sure how the lotto works in Thailand, but if the prize pool is split such that people with identical numbers share the price rather than each getting the full amount, then picking culturally unlucky numbers has a statistically higher chance of a higher payout. Not that it makes it anywhere near likely that the payout is > 1.

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

Are you joking you would waste your time doing all of that shows how bored you are in thailand.

Just now, georgemandm said:

Are you joking you would waste your time doing all of that shows how bored you are in thailand.

I find it discerning how people absolutely must turn things into a negative. Get a life George, and learn to write properly.

2 minutes ago, geronimo said:

I find it discerning how people absolutely must turn things into a negative. Get a life George, and learn to write properly.

Not at all people like you go on all the time how happy they are in thailand and for you to be happy you do that .

tell me would you do that back in your home country no not at all but because you not have a life you do that  rubbish .

not need to lean to write properly to be a  multimillion do I .

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

Not at all people like you go on all the time how happy they are in thailand and for you to be happy you do that .

tell me would you do that back in your home country no not at all but because you not have a life you do that  rubbish .

not need to lean to write properly to be a  multimillion do I .

People like me who go on about how happy they are in Thailand? You must be one of the group that isn't happy, (I tried reading some of your posts but Google translate came up with a load of gobbldeegook) and I find it refreshing that I am firmly in the happy sector.

PS: Check out some punctuation sites, it would make for a little easier reading George.

18 hours ago, RaggaTwin said:

Dogs in cars isn't healthy and most Thai dogs have fleas and leave hairs everywhere.  I won't be getting in to your motor.

Your wife and maybe the young boy from the hardware shop might go dogging in his pick up..

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

nah the standard green grass type is fast enough for me as growing anything quicker will require the gardeners to come more often to mow it and a hit like that to the monthly budget would be catastrophic.

Boasting about Weed.

You might get a chap at the door "Man"

3 minutes ago, geronimo said:

People like me who go on about how happy they are in Thailand? You must be one of the group that isn't happy, (I tried reading some of your posts but Google translate came up with a load of gobbldeegook) and I find it refreshing that I am firmly in the happy sector.

PS: Check out some punctuation sites, it would make for a little easier reading George.

No problems mr English not need to google, because I have a life to go back home to ,not like you that seats all day on his I pad .

And to become a  Multi million  you don't need to be mr English do you .

Well, I won't get into this too much but on the issue of Phet Nit Noy...

If people order a dish that is served spicy and you want it phet nit noy... well, what are they supposed to do? It is like ordering a cheeseburger but no cheese and no burger - - what??? Why not order a roll and salad... 

7/11 is not in the fresh coffee business - they are in the instant coffee business and probably do well with it... that is sort of like asking why they sell potato chips but not baked potatoes... I don't like instant coffee but I understand why they sell it - - and that fresh coffee is more a specialty item and takes time and attention to prepare... whereas instant, people make on their own... 

11 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Reading "Comma" George. (george isnt a book)

It would make for a little easier reading, Geronimo.

23 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

No problems mr English not need to google, because I have a life to go back home to ,not like you that seats all day on his I pad .

And to become a  Multi million  you don't need to be mr English do you .

I absolutely love your humble attitude, and am amazed at how you can determine a person's lifestyle from a few posts on a forum.

I do not own an iPad, and if I did I certainly wouldn't sit on it.

And since when did money enter into this?

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

ermmmmmmmmm suitable  for  Thailand  i  see

George is a children's novel about a young transgender girl written by Alex Gino. Wikipedia

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes true I am not a book and I not give one s??t what people think about my English , all I care about is my bad English did not get me to become a very rich man I don't  brag much but when someone who has no idea about me try's and put me down because my English is not up to his  level makes me brag how rich I am and I am a very rich man because of hard work and street  smart , being good at English dose not make you  different then me or anyone else dose it .