Things, I dont understand, in Thailand

Peterw42

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have a difference of opinion to a few of my friends on religion. i enjoy discussing their beliefs. i find it makes for interesting bar stool chatter.

just  the  word "belief"  says  it  all

16 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have a difference of opinion to a few of my friends on religion. i enjoy discussing their beliefs. i find it makes for interesting bar stool chatter.

How would you feel if someone told you they believed in the Easter Bunny?

19 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

There are bumps in every road. When setbacks happen back home, I took them in my stride. I'm not going to start blaming the locals and running down the whole country when they happen here. 

If the things that happen on the roads in Thailand happened on the roads in the UK to the same extent, I would be banging down the doors of the local authorities very regularly. I assume part of what you say "there are bumps in every road" means the condition of them, ie potholes and ridges.

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I must take you up a wee bit on this. Westerners who moved here say around ten years ago would maybe find it OK where immigration is concerned, but a lot has been changed since then, and not for the better, also, they would not know that each IO make up their own rules and confuse people.

Its peoples perception I think, I'm not aware of any changes to property ownership laws. No major Immigration law changes, They are all existing laws and some have been enforced more due to terrorism and people abusing the laws. Overstays, working without a permit etc. Recent TM30 requirements in Chiang Mai, not a new law, I can recall doing one 4 years ago when I moved into the girlfriends house. There has also been some good changes, online reporting etc. Immigration offices having different requirements has probably always been the case and people may not be aware of that when moving here.

Maybe I am missing something, What are the major changes ?

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If the things that happen on the roads in Thailand happened on the roads in the UK to the same extent, I would be banging down the doors of the local authorities very regularly. I assume part of what you say "there are bumps in every road" means the condition of them, ie potholes and ridges.

I think the bumps are metaphorical.

11 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

The foreigners in Thailand are the worlds worst when it comes to clothes. You look like pigs.

Not just clothes, what about all the fat bellies, facial hair, and being covered in tattoos? I will not mention baldness

because that is not self inflicted. Well, most of the time.

Forms usually ask my birthday ... and a couple of centimeters further how old  am I. I cannot see their point.

Forms ask me the way of arriving in Thailand. Well, let us see, Bangkok you can do only by plane.  The ports are far from the land-crossing point and vice versa..... Why do they ask?  Why it is important.

Maybe I have spent too much time here. In the firsts 2-3 months, I was laughing when I saw a tuk-tuk  overspeeding in the inner line pulling a complete furnace and some sausages.... Now?  I cannot even observe.

In my first period, I was just wondering when I saw Thais cooling down the room close to the freezing point and sleeping under three or more blankets close to the air (aircon).

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

You tell me what my English  has  got to do with it , are you a other mr English 

read it ok , get sick of people like you who think you are about other people because my English is not as good as what you want it to be .

you are not a better person because you think you are better at English are you , no you are not but you just try to think you are better them other people.

you need to get a life out side of your  Square .

Ask him if he can speak any Greek, George.

13 minutes ago, Honthy said:

In my first period, I was just wondering when I saw Thais cooling down the room close to the freezing point and sleeping under three or more blankets close to the air (aircon).

I've always done that.  Without the AC the air is humid and sweaty, with the AC it is too cold.

We used to have dehumidifiers in HK but I've never seen them here.

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its peoples perception I think, I'm not aware of any changes to property ownership laws. No major Immigration law changes, They are all existing laws and some have been enforced more due to terrorism and people abusing the laws. Overstays, working without a permit etc. Recent TM30 requirements in Chiang Mai, not a new law, I can recall doing one 4 years ago when I moved into the girlfriends house. There has also been some good changes, online reporting etc. Immigration offices having different requirements has probably always been the case and people may not be aware of that when moving here.

Maybe I am missing something, What are the major changes ?

Ask anyone who is under fifty, does not want to get married, does not want to give away 500.000Bt for an Elite visa to get nothing in return at the end of it and wants to stay here in Thailand long term, especially if he bought a house not knowing that these visa changes were coming up.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I wasnt saying they should make coffee (some do), they sell most other grocery items, but within the shelf's and shelf's of "coffee" they dont sell beans or ground coffee. 

Beans and such are more supermarket items and 7/11 is more snack foods.... I am going to go out on a limb here and say that they are pretty good at maximizing shelf space with an eye on profit. They know their stuff... 

16 minutes ago, geronimo said:

I think it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that old George has realised that money can't buy you happiness, and he's trying to convince himself otherwise.

You tell me one thing if you had no money would you be in thailand to day , I  answer it fou , no you would not 

so no money no honey 

7 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Beans and such are more supermarket items and 7/11 is more snack foods.... I am going to go out on a limb here and say that they are pretty good at maximizing shelf space with an eye on profit. They know their stuff... 

I realize its all about making money, they probably stocked it and it didnt sell. , but even supermarkets will have a whole aisle full of instant coffee and only one or two shelf's of real coffee.

To me, its like going to the milk section in 7/11, or the supermarket, and finding packets of powdered milk. 

11 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

You tell me one thing if you had no money would you be in thailand to day , I  answer it fou , no you would not 

so no money no honey 

No one said you can live without money George, try to keep up please.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I realize its all about making money, they probably stocked it and it didnt sell. , but even supermarkets will have a whole aisle full of instant coffee and only one or two shelf's of real coffee.

To me, its like going to the milk section in 7/11, or the supermarket, and finding packets of powdered milk. 

Back in the 70s & 80s, that was about all they had - Nescafe, Instant... the coffee explosion is a pretty recent phenomena, maybe the last ten years or so. My nearest Tesco does not have much selection of coffee, but there is a great little specialty store that has great beans... 

5 minutes ago, geronimo said:

No one said you can live without money George, try to keep up please.

Just now, kenk24 said:

Back in the 70s & 80s, that was about all they had - Nescafe, Instant... the coffee explosion is a pretty recent phenomena, maybe the last ten years or so. My nearest Tesco does not have much selection of coffee, but there is a great little specialty store that has great beans... 

Ok

5 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Not sure about that.

I did read about a blindtest, and apparently girls gave better b-jobs then guys.

No lady boys in the test, think it was Denmark :biggrin: 

I think in the case of Thai lady boys, practice makes perfect.

15 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

Grown Western men who wear shorts in public in a major city.  Shorts are for little boys.  Learn to dress.

Hang on, hang on.  I'd sweat like a pedo in Mothercare wearing trousers in LOS all day.

Shorts it is unless I absolutely have to wear trousers and that's for formal events only.

2 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Another high quality foreigner in Thailand.   Things I Don,t Understand........ Thailand seems to attract guys like this like a magnet. Pattaya of course

drunk-foreigner-attacks-1.jpg

Of course it does, girls, drugs, alcohol, cheap living. Been that way in Pattaya since the early sixties when R & R kicked off.

On 17/11/2016 at 7:10 PM, Deepinthailand said:

"A cheap motorbike helmet and a big mac cost the same, and both are a days wages if you work in 7/11".

Tell me more where are these helmets for 120 bht I need one.

"Westerners who buy a great big pickup trucks to drive to BigC once a week and immigration once a year."

not  all I use mine to pick the kid up from school so as not to offend you, letting a kid go to school driving a  motor bike brigade. 

And for genral dogging ecursions??

"Instant coffee is considered coffee. 7/11 has a whole section dedicated to instant coffee but dont sell real coffee."

lots of people quite like instant coffee  some of us were brought up on it. we couldn't afford real real coffee. 

I saw them at Lotus the other day under 200 baht, but the sizes looked small at a glance

I'm with you on the pick up, kids to school, building materials and shopping when needed, so much more bang for your buck than a sedan for my purpose.

Instant coffee is the best added with coffee mate x 3, cannot stand the coffee places like Starbucks and the rest, their coffee tastes burnt and is bloody hot.

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I saw them at Lotus the other day under 200 baht, but the sizes looked small at a glance

I'm with you on the pick up, kids to school, building materials and shopping when needed, so much more bang for your buck than a sedan for my purpose.

Instant coffee is the best added with coffee mate x 3, cannot stand the coffee places like Starbucks and the rest, their coffee tastes burnt and is bloody hot.

I find instant 3 in 1 is great with a half a cup of water.

Pick up is required if I had a "nornal" car with all the creators (used to be pot holes) I have to negotiate there would be no bottom left on car.

Edited by Deepinthailand