Marriage To Thai Woman Who Supports Me

Hello. I am new here, but I have searched for the answer to my question before posting. My question :

I will marry a Thai woman who is a Thai citizen and move there to Bangkok. I will try to find a job asap, but if it takes me more than a year to find one that pays more than baht 40,000/month per the requirement, will I have to leave Thailand?? I do have the required money to deposit in a Thai bank, but I cannot do that without a work permit, and I cannot get a work permit without a job offer. Will Thailand approve my visa in year 2? Which non-immigrant visa should I apply for (B or O?)?

Most of the posts I see do not address the situation of a Thai woman supporting a farang husband. She has a very good job.

Advice please? Please post here, do not email me. Thanks.

ragtime3

Thanks. I already have baht 600,000 ready to use for bank requirements, my wife will not have to toss me anything. But is it possible that even though I have cash to live on, they will insist that I earn a salary right away as well? Do they not look at what she is earning and count that until I find a job?

Also, will they allow my name on a joint bank savings account with a Non-Immigrant-O visa? They would not allow me to open an account there with the tourist visa. They said I need a work permit, but again my original question, if I do not have job yet, how can I show the immigration the balance in my bank account??

So confusing and it makes it hard to plan anything with confidence .....

ragtime

Thanks. I already have baht 600,000 ready to use for bank requirements, my wife will not have to toss me anything. But is it possible that even though I have cash to live on, they will insist that I earn a salary right away as well? Do they not look at what she is earning and count that until I find a job?

Also, will they allow my name on a joint bank savings account with a Non-Immigrant-O visa? They would not allow me to open an account there with the tourist visa. They said I need a work permit, but again my original question, if I do not have job yet, how can I show the immigration the balance in my bank account??

So confusing and it makes it hard to plan anything with confidence .....

ragtime

Once you are married, open that bank account with 400,000 baht. You do not HAVE to work, but you can get a work permit if you want to at some stage.

I was just about to post a similar message.

My Thai wife is a pharmacist and wants to open a pharmacy. I am a civil engineer and thus unable to work in Thailand in my profession. Assuming that I never worked another day in my life, under the proposed rules, can I legally stay in Thailand indefinitely as I would be completely supported by my wife?

My Thai wife is a pharmacist and wants to open a pharmacy. I am a civil engineer and thus unable to work in Thailand in my profession. Assuming that I never worked another day in my life, under the proposed rules, can I legally stay in Thailand indefinitely as I would be completely supported by my wife?

Paddy, I thought Thailand needed civil engineers. You should be able to find work. Unless you are like me and more worried that not speaking fluent Thai limits your employment opportunities.

Thanks everyone. It seems that a joint bank account with my wife after I get my Non-Imm-O visa will work.

Now if I can just keep calm about those 3 annual visa renewal interviews going well so I can apply for the residency permit (I know many immigration officers hate seeing Thai women earning the household salary - but hopefully I can contribute in financial and intangible ways). At the least I will volunteer my skills to help people and keep busy.

ragtime

Paddy, I thought Thailand needed civil engineers. You should be able to find work. Unless you are like me and more worried that not speaking fluent Thai limits your employment opportunities.

Thanks everyone. It seems that a joint bank account with my wife after I get my Non-Imm-O visa will work.

Now if I can just keep calm about those 3 annual visa renewal interviews going well so I can apply for the residency permit (I know many immigration officers hate seeing Thai women earning the household salary - but hopefully I can contribute in financial and intangible ways). At the least I will volunteer my skills to help people and keep busy.

ragtime

You want to apply for residency? Wow! Isn't that like looking for rocking-horse sh*t?

Anybody got any information on succcessful applications for residency because I will "qualify" for it next year, but I won't hold my breath...

I don't think this is true. I know a lot of people who are here in Thailand volunteering on a 2-month tourist visa.

They are simply helping, e.g. painting a house etc. and receiving no money for their work.

You still need to comply with the bank or bank/income requirements.

opening a bank account w/o working papers is a problem, raggy, no matter what anyone says. I have had same problem. of course you will get countless people tell you it is not a prob but I say it is

The Bangkok Bank or the Thai Farmers Bank (Kasikorn Bank) should take your money no matter what visa you have.

Dr Pat,

May I comply with the banking requirements if I have a joint account with my wife and she pumps the money into the account or do I have to come up with funds independently?

Ragtime,

Civil Engineering is one of the thirty-nine "prohibited occupations" for non-thai citizens. See http://www.thailandlaw.com/bizworkpermits.html for more details.

Regards,

Paddy

I think the dude who started this post is jerking everyone's chain. break needed

Unbiasbob,

Why would you accuse me of "jerking everyone's chain"? I am sincere and everyone's replies has help me greatly. It has even led to another question that I will start under a separate post.

Peace Out,

ragtime

just to add my experience. Sometime in June last year, I opened a joint bank account with my fiancee with Bangkok Bank in Hatyai, using only tourist visa in my pp and my fiancee's id card. It's a very simple process.

Regarding the new impending visa ruling, I have two Qs for Dr Pat Pong. As I understand it, husbands under 50 who are supporting a Thai wife need either bt400,000 in bank account transfered from overseas*, OR bt40,000 income per mth. It is a either-or. Another clause states that combination of this two to make up the amount is also possible. Have I deviate from what's in practise?

Another question is, if the bt400,000 remains static in the acount for one year, will it pose a problem the following year when I applied for another 1-yr immigrant visa 'O' extension?

Thanks a bunch.

* must be transfered from overseas. accumulated savings in bank account might not qualify.

A quick comment about joint bank accounts. Bangkok Bank opened such an account for me and my Thai GF, with me on a non-imm B visa and not working. Only ID card/passport required.

(And before you think I must be mad to open a joint account with someone who is not my wife, it's simply to help us demonstrate that we are an 'item', should we wish to settle in the UK at some later date)

simon43,

i refer to your remarks in parenthesis. does that means you still have to prove to the UK authorities that you and your wife were an 'item' long before you are legally married to her for her to be given residency rights in UK. Just for my curiosity.

I do not doubt my understanding. The fact that many farangs choose to stay in Thailand despite the overboard non-immigrant visa 'O' financial requirements, goes to imply some farangs have problems leaving thailand for their home country to obtain residency rights for their wives. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

(In case you guys starts to jump the gun, I'm not saying why you should not stay in LOS. I'm just asking why home country is not a readily-available option for those facing problems with the strict visa rules.)

I'm just asking why home country is not a readily-available option for those facing problems with the strict visa rules.)

My girlfriend complains that she is freezing when we go for a motorcycle ride in the cool evenings. I am sure she would live a miserable life back home when it's cold 8 months a year and resonably warm for the remaining months.

Dr Pat,

May I comply with the banking requirements if I have a joint account with my wife and she pumps the money into the account or do I have to come up with funds independently?

Ragtime,

Civil Engineering is one of the thirty-nine "prohibited occupations" for non-thai citizens. See http://www.thailandlaw.com/bizworkpermits.html for more details.

Regards,

Paddy

Yes. But they ALWAYS view the man as the breadwinner. It remains a patriachal society.

I don't think this is true. I know a lot of people who are here in Thailand volunteering on a 2-month tourist visa.

They are simply helping, e.g. painting a house etc. and receiving no money for their work.

You cannot volunteer without a work permit, if they catch you your done

Just because you know people doing it doesn't make it legal.

i refer to your remarks in parenthesis. does that means you still have to prove to the UK authorities that you and your wife were an 'item' long before you are legally married to her for her to be given residency rights in UK. Just for my curiosity.

I do not doubt my understanding. The fact that many farangs choose to stay in Thailand despite the overboard non-immigrant visa 'O' financial requirements, goes to imply some farangs have problems leaving thailand for their home country to obtain residency rights for their wives. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

For the UK, you have to prove that you have enought income or money in the bank that you and your wife won't be living on benefits.

That's about it...

If you're trying to get your girlfriend in on a fiance visa, any proof that you've known each other for a while is beneficial. This is simply because the embassy is looking out for people trying to enter the UK under false pretenses. Also, I believe they're trying to cut down on the issuing of fiance visa for arranged marriages where the husband and wife have never met... (although that might just be a press rumour).

Applying for the initial marriage visa for Thailand is a lot quicker (i.e. no interview required, just a marriage certificate, passport, wife's ID card, etc.), and it's issued in two days.

For a UK marriage/fiance visa, the embassy will take your initial application, and almost certainly ask you to come back for an interview in a few weeks (can even be 2-3 months). For that interview, you need proof of income / bank statements etc. as well as some proof that you have known each other for some time (fiance), or the marriage certificate (wife).

Once you're actually in the UK, it's a lot less hassle than here. - i.e. no reporting of address, even when you move home, let alone if you don't. You have an interview at Immigration (Home office in Croydon if you're living in London) when your visa expires, and they'll either extend your visa, or give you indefinite leave to remain (go VERY early, because there's a VERY long queue, literally you can wait all day to be seen). We got the "indefinite leave to remain" on our first trip there - after that no reporting, and she only has to apply for an entry permit if she's out of the country for more than two years). Three years in the UK as a spouse (in the country legally) and she can apply for a UK passport. and that rule applies to men as well as women.

Summary:

It's a lot easier to get a marriage visa for Thailand, but there's a lot more involved in staying here.

It's a lot harder to get the initial marriage visa for the UK (at least if you've got no income), but once you are in the UK, it should be plain sailing...

The fact that many farangs choose to stay in Thailand despite the overboard non-immigrant visa 'O' financial requirements, goes to imply some farangs have problems leaving thailand for their home country to obtain residency rights for their wives. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

P.S. My wife has indefinite leave to remain in the UK. We still choose to live in Thailand most of the year, even though my job is in the UK.

However I think this says more about living in the UK, than living in Thailand. (One child born in the UK in an NHS hospital was enough...)

Things aren't a lot different here in Singapore. Just for the benefit of other forummers here who may be interested to know how things are govern in Spore.

"For the UK, you have to prove that you have enought income or money in the bank that you and your wife won't be living on benefits. "

Same here. Not so much of social benefits to boot, but to make sure one does not resort to illegal means for a living.

In singapore, a marriage visa (termed special pass), is easy to get only if there is proof of consistent income enough to sustain the family. Usually, PR is the way to go for foreign spouse. Having a singaporean baby will help here, plus stable income, the PR route is not difficult. A special pass will usually last the foreign spouse one year, the renewal is usually guaranteed with stable income. And no exobitant prices for PR. Practically free!

The above is what I know for foreign spouse. PR based on other criteria is also avaliable, but mostly considered on individual merits and not so easy to get. How much you can contribute to Spore's economy plays a big part. But still, no such thing as exobitant fees like the price of a Thai PR.

"If you're trying to get your girlfriend in on a fiance visa,..."

But there's no such thing as visa for fiance(e), so length of time the couple knew each other doesn't matter. They come here on normal tourist visa, length of visa depends on nationality. For Thai, tourist visa is 14 days.

Praised for its efficient system in the govt, bureaucracy is something foreigners and tourists does not have to worry about. If you have the requirements, rest assured, chances are, things will be smooth sailing.

"It's a lot easier to get a marriage visa for Thailand, but there's a lot more involved in staying here.

It's a lot harder to get the initial marriage visa for the UK (at least if you've got no income), but once you are in the UK, it should be plain sailing..."

It's easier getting a marriage visa in Singapore. It's easier for foreign spouses to get a PR in SPore than in Thailand. But I''m not putting Singapore on the pedestal. Life here is stressful and everything moves in double quick time.

THanks for sharing bkkmike.