Trump agrees to $25M settlement to resolve Trump U. lawsuits

rooster59

Trump agrees to $25M settlement to resolve Trump U. lawsuits

DAVID KLEPPER, Associated Press
ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press

SAN DIEGO (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump agreed Friday to pay $25 million to settle lawsuits against his now-defunct Trump University for real estate investors, averting a trial in a potentially embarrassing case that he had vowed during the campaign to keep fighting.

The settlement came 10 days before jury selection was scheduled to begin in one of the three cases. The complaints accused Trump University, which wasn't an accredited school, of defrauding students who paid up to $35,000 a year to enroll in programs that promised to share Trump's real estate secrets.

If the proposed settlement is approved by a federal judge, about 6,000 students covered in two-class action lawsuits in San Diego would share $21 million, and Trump will pay $4 million to settle a complaint filed by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman in 2013. Under the terms, Trump admitted no wrongdoing.

The settlement lifts what would probably be a major obstacle for Trump as he works to fill key executive branch positions and get acquainted with foreign leaders. The San Diego trial, on a case filed in 2010, was expected to last several weeks, guaranteeing daily news coverage of a controversy that dogged him during the campaign.

Trump's political rivals seized on the lawsuits to try to portray him as dishonest and deceitful. Trump brought more attention to them by repeatedly assailing Indiana-born judge Gonzalo Curiel, who oversaw the two San Diego cases. Trump claimed the judge's Mexican heritage exposed a bias.

The thousands of former students covered by the San Diego lawsuits will be eligible to receive at least half and possibly all their money back, as much as $35,000, said Jason Forge, an attorney for the plaintiffs. The plaintiffs' attorneys waived their fees.

Trump has denied the allegations and said during the campaign that he would not settle. He told supporters at a May rally that he would come to San Diego to testify after winning the presidency.

"I could have settled this case numerous times but I don't want to settle cases when we're right. I don't believe in it. And when you start settling cases, you know what happens? Everybody sues you because you get known as a settler. One thing about me, I am not known as a settler," Trump said at the time.

Two days after the election, Trump's lead attorney in the San Diego cases, Daniel Petrocelli, said he was "all ears" to settlement talks and accepted an offer to have U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller of San Diego broker negotiations.

Forge said the agreement was reached an hour before a hearing for Curiel to weigh Trump's latest request to delay the trial until after the Jan. 20 inauguration. The plaintiffs' attorney said he "definitely detected a change of tone and change of approach" from Trump's camp after the election.

"We were at each other's throat for 6 ½ years and were able to find the common ground with them and do something good there," Forge told reporters.

Schneiderman called the agreement a "stunning reversal" for the president-elect, saying Trump "fought us every step of the way, filing baseless charges and fruitless appeals and refusing to settle for even modest amounts of compensation for the victims of his phony university. Today, that all changes."

Trump's attorneys said the settlement allows the president-elect to focus full attention on his transition to the White House.

"He was willing to sacrifice his personal interests, put this behind him, and move forward," Petrocelli said.

Alan Garten, the Trump Organization's general counsel, said he had "no doubt" Trumpwould have prevailed at trial.

The lawsuits allege that Trump University gave nationwide seminars that were like informercials, constantly pressuring people to spend more and, in the end, failing to deliver on its promises.

Court documents unsealed in May revealed strategies for enticing people to enroll even if they couldn't afford it. The documents outlined how employees should guide people through "the roller coaster of emotions" after they express interest and tells employees to be "very aggressive during these conversations to in order to push them out of their comfort zones."

Transcripts of about 10 hours of Trump depositions provided additional material to rivals, though Curiel denied a request to release video of Trump's testimony that would have likely been used in campaign attack ads. Trump acknowledged in the depositions that he played on people's fantasies, and he could not recall names of his employees despite his advertising pitch that he "hand-picked" them.

Trump has repeatedly claimed a 98 percent customer satisfaction rate on internal surveys. Plaintiffs countered that students were asked to rate the product when they believed they still had more instruction to come and were reluctant to openly criticize their teachers on surveys that were not anonymous.

The settlement comes a day after watchdog groups and ethics experts who served in both Republican and Democratic administrations sent a letter to Trump urging him to make a clean break from his business to avoid "embroiling the presidency in litigation."

One of the authors, Richard Painter, an ethics lawyer at the White House under President George W. Bush, said the Trump University settlement might backfire if lawyers think Trump is eager to settle to avoid court cases while president.

"The plaintiffs' lawyers," he said, "are going to smell blood in the water."

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-19

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

But wait.  He says he always wins.  He never loses - at anything.   Maybe now, he'll get large decal letters put on his floor to ceiling gold framed mirror spelling out: I'M A LOSER !

How much interest would have been earnt on 25 million over 6.5 years ?

This one is significant in the sense that many plaintiffs receive pretty much all of their money back. That's a bit unusual in class-action suits. It's analogous to a class-action suit against General Motors in which plaintiffs receive 100% of the company's profits.

Edited by Dustdevil

33 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

I think Hillary has more baggage.

I doubt it, but why post this except for the purpose of deflecting? This topic is about Trump and his out of court settlement.

I think he was forced to settle, a deposition would have resulted in way to much information available to everybody.

58 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

This one is significant in the sense that many plaintiffs receive pretty much all of their money back. That's a bit unusual in class-action suits. It's analogous to a class-action suit against General Motors in which plaintiffs receive 100% of the company's profits.

Nope. Not at all. There are two very different legal issues  involved;

1. Claims against an auto manufacturer  relate to a product defect and the  alleged failure  to remedy the defect. The defect is a small part of the overall  product sold. In your example of GM, the  company does not set out to intentionally physically harm anyone.

2. The Trump case relates to an intentional fraud, an act of deceit.

He is making a sacrifice to the American people.

He wants to concentrate on making America great again.

"The Trump University settlement might backfire if lawyers think Trump is eager to settle to avoid court cases while president."

Litigation America, trying to destroy itself! 

4 minutes ago, kevkev1888 said:

"The Trump University settlement might backfire if lawyers think Trump is eager to settle to avoid court cases while president."

Oh, Pleeezzzee, Donald Trump has never made a sacrifice for anyone and he isn't going to start now.   He settled because he knew he would lose.   

3 minutes ago, Credo said:

Oh, Pleeezzzee, Donald Trump has never made a sacrifice for anyone and he isn't going to start now.   He settled because he knew he would lose.   

It's a great bargaining position for a plaintiff. To be right on the facts AND have a metaphorical gun pointed at the defendant's head. I'm sure he would have settled in any case but the current circumstances bring a certain urgency that translates to a better settlement for the plaintiff..

Edited by lannarebirth

. The man who says he doesn’t settle lawsuits—but has settled at least 13—and who says he doesn’t get sued—but has been sued or seen his businesses sued at least 1,450 times—will apparently settle this case.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/18/trump_university_settlement_would_be_ultimate_con.html

3 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

too bad.  i was hoping to see this conman on trial here in san diego. 

Usually if your a con artist there is jail time involved. Because of the dollar value of this case jail time should have been a given. A special law for the rich and then there is the rest of us. How sad and how common today. Yes politicians don't think this is going unnoticed. 

"He was willing to sacrifice his personal interests, put this behind him, and move forward," Petrocelli said.

What a kind and generous self sacrificing good man he must be, besides fact he was guilty.

So now apologists, excuse makers start up with "But but but HILLARY" as if that has anything to do with this.

I wonder how long (if ever) his backers will take to wake up and realize " He conned us too. Why did we ever think just this one time he might mean what he says?"

45 minutes ago, kevkev1888 said:

Your statement is laughable.

7 minutes ago, NeilSA1 said:

Poor America

Yes, it's tragic. But we only have ourselves to blame. Even though he enters office as the most unpopular president elect in U.S. history and didn't even win the most votes, the opposition didn't do ENOUGH to stop this horror from happening.

The opposition continues. The ACLU has declared "war" on trump and appropriately so but now the opposition is acting from a position of great weakness, so the best we can hope for are some crumbs. 

In this case, when the scope of the DANGER was so apparent, I don't think "I didn't vote for him" really cuts it anymore. The recent election was a true What did you do in the war Daddy kind of moment. Too many of us FAILED to do enough, and I include myself as in American citizen in that.

Anyway, welcome to the CON MAN in chief.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/18/trump_university_settlement_would_be_ultimate_con.html

Again, the timing is convenient: After he had used the promise not to settle to rebut the con allegations and before he claims the reins of a government that could see millions or billions steered to his own companies—which are still controlled by his children, one of whom is married to a man Trump reportedly wants to give top level security clearance—and companies who do business with his own. But he can be trusted not to do that. Because he's not a con man. Because he's not going to settle that one lawsuit. That he apparently just agreed to settle.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

I doubt it, but why post this except for the purpose of deflecting? This topic is about Trump and his out of court settlement.

I think he was forced to settle, a deposition would have resulted in way to much information available to everybody.

Because Trumpeteers have learned from the thatched one, don't answer a question about Trump, deflect to Clinton every time. They will likely still be doing this BS in 4 years time.

Just when you thought it could not get worse after Bush wars and Obama overspending spree comes a narcissist conman voted in by the anger of voters. History has taught us many times anger destroys your opportunity for good judgment and acting mainly in your own self interest destroys your soul.  

At least we are not England who wants to be alone in the world and close its borders and keep all its sterling to rebuild factories that will never exist in England again. 

I hope good ole England can defend its borders alone when the Russian or Chinese or American or any other army see something they deem worth taking from the Brits.  I surely do not anticipate any country currently coming to help their defense.

Not meaning to be unfair to the good Russian, Chinese and American and British people only meaning to point out what a dangerous foolish step the Brits have taken by abandoning their friendships and protection of their group friends.

The day will come when no one will admit they voted for Brexit and no one will admit they voted for Trump. ?

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Just when you thought it could not get worse after Bush wars and Obama overspending spree comes a narcissist conman voted in by the anger of voters. History has taught us many times anger destroys your opportunity for good judgment and acting mainly in your own self interest destroys your soul.  

At least we are not England who wants to be alone in the world and close its borders and keep all its sterling to rebuild factories that will never exist in England again. 

I hope good ole England can defend its borders alone when the Russian or Chinese or American or any other army see something they deem worth taking from the Brits.  I surely do not anticipate any country currently coming to help their defense.

Not meaning to be unfair to the good Russian, Chinese and American and British people only meaning to point out what a dangerous foolish step the Brits have taken by abandoning their friendships and protection of their group friends.

The day will come when no one will admit they voted for Brexit and no one will admit they voted for Trump. ?

I agree with quite a bit of that but not all.  First of all Britain does not intend to defend it's borders alone (except maybe against Scotland! just joking Scotland) but does hope to have stricter controls on illegal immigration.  Secondly you say that you don't know who will protect the British after they have abandoned their friends.  Well what about NATO or doesn't that count.  I would also say that nothing is yet in writing and it's all posturing for position.  Theresa May is certainly getting the cold shoulder by the EU which is understandable if she keeps insisting on a hard Brexit.

Everything is in the air and with European elections taking place in 2017 we can expect a lot of turmoil and re-positioning by the various political parties there.  I am bitterly disappointed with what has happened in the UK and America and not only do I see it ending in tears,  but bad blood as well.  I do not know what will happen inside the EU but their position is by no way safe and secure.

Edited by dunroaming