Possibility of impounding Aussie passport

This is for members info only. Please only reply if you have more detailed and/or useful information.

Australian immigration just told me that if my Australian passport was any more worn they could impound it at point of entry.

Would have left me stranded in Australia and since my Thai visa is in the passport, unable to return to Thailand.

Not sure what would have happened next but a useful warning to check the condition of your passport before traveling to Australia unless you intend to stay.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Australian immigration just told me that if my Australian passport was any more worn they could impound it at point of entry.

That seems like a strong hint that you should get a new passport. Not sure they could or would impound it but they could possibley stamp it canceled.

After getting a new passport you would use both passports to enter Thailand.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That seems like a strong hint that you should get a new passport. Not sure they could or would impound it but they could possibley stamp it canceled.

After getting a new passport you would use both passports to en

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

After getting a new passport you would use both passports to enter Thailand.

Yes a new passport is planned when I return to Bangkok.

For those interested, the damage is caused by normal wear and tear and is a slight separation of the laminate from the photo page along the binding.

Currently about 5mm but I was told the passport world be impounded if it reached about 10mm. I would never have noticed this unless pointed out. So the message is that quite minor damage is unacceptable.

The passport is still valid for two years but nearly full.

16 minutes ago, mngmn said:

For those interested, the damage is caused by normal wear and tear and is a slight separation of the laminate from the photo page along the binding.

Currently about 5mm but I was told the passport world be impounded if it reached about 10mm. I would never have noticed this unless pointed out. So the message is that quite minor damage is unacceptable.

Let us hope that Thai immigration uses the same standard as the Australian authorities on declaring passports damaged. Some immigration officials can be very picky, and will refer you to a supervisor as soon as they notice any minor problem. It could be very inconvenient if you were denied entry because of lacking a valid travel document. It would be better if you could somehow arrange a new passport while back in Australia. It would appear to me worth the Urgent Processing fee for peace of mind, but it is your funeral.

4 hours ago, mngmn said:

Maybe not entirely the same but took over an hour to clear Melbourne Airport customs/ Immigration November last year (past the queue) on a fraying Australian passport, at that stage just over 9 years old and the very first of the e-chipped (or what ever they call them) passports.

My passport failed to scan, so I had to go off to a counter, where I was then asked multiple questions (3 years in Thailand at that stage, I go back roughly every year for 2-3 weeks to see my elderly folks) then shuffled off to another counter, then another where honestly I thought they were going to accuse me of being an illegal immigrant (born Sydney, had my WA drivers license on me as well...only thing I didn't have was my birth certificate)... my problem is most Australians and others (so Americans and Thais) think I sound like I'm from the UK, except everyone I know from the UK who immediately says "Australian."

Try being surrounded by Poms for a good part of your office working life and not pick up a Geoffrey Rush sort of accent :)

But I digress, they eventually they told me I needed a new passport after literally treating me like a second class citizen...well, more precisely a foreigner trying to sneak into the land of AU$4.95 small waters, $28 packet of smokes, and $50 bottles of 750ml JD.

Weirdly enough one of the first things I was going to do anyway was get a new passport while I was there and I did. Going back in January for 2 weeks (don't want to vs family obligation) with the new one, touch wood this time without the drama :)

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Let us hope that Thai immigration uses the same standard as the Australian authorities on declaring passports damaged. Some immigration officials can be very picky, and will refer you to a supervisor as soon as they notice any minor problem. It could be very inconvenient if you were denied entry because of lacking a valid travel document. It would be better if you could somehow arrange a new passport while back in Australia. It would appear to me worth the Urgent Processing fee for peace of mind, but it is your funeral.

Sorry to disappoint but have been in and out of Thailand on weekly basis using this passport. Also have dual nationality and so have a backup passport but of course cannot use this to enter Oz.

Few places in the world are more picky than Australia. They even call themselves "Border Control" rather than immigration. But I digress...

Overseas fee is less than urgent processing fee.

Border Control do seize passports on behalf of DFAT if the officer believes it to be in bad condition.

You will be given a receipt advising of the seizure for when you reply for another one.

If someone needs the passport for Centerlink for example, the passport will be cancelled online to prevent any further travel.

It's usually up to the officer looking at it to make the call. If it's in bad condition, it's usually referred to Border Control by

Customs at entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

So you have been warned but still want to use it 2 times more, 1 in Australia to get out (if they let you because you have been warned) and 1 into Thailand. Get a new passport in Australia now. Btw never got that "normal" wear and tear with over 10 passports.

I was not warned. I was told that the passport was OK but if the wear became worse there would be a problem. Will be taking extra care of it until my departure.

My 65 page passport is nearly full with almost weekly trips.  The wear is from constantly opening the passport not because I am an irresponsible dick-head which is what you seem to be implying.

If anything, I see it as an issue with the poor manufacturing quality of Australian passports.  The chip has never worked properly.  It contrast my other passport seems to be of a higher quality and shows less signs of wear.

Mods.  I think we can close this topic now before it deteriorates into a witch hunt against irresponsible passport holders who are probably also digital nomads and serial over stayers.

• Like 1