Thai-d to the couch: Thai children score low on international active kids report

webfact

Thai-d to the couch: Thai children score low on international active kids report

By Coconuts Bangkok 

obese_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai kids received a nearly failing score on a recent international report on children around the world and exercise.

The Active Healthy Kids Report Card compared the physical activity of kids in 38 countries. On a scale of “A” grades to “F” grades, young Thais got a D-. At the active youth in Slovenia, who got an A-; New Zealand, who got a B-; and Zimbabwe, who got a C+.

Mark Tremblay, chair of the Active Healthy Alliance, speaking at the International Congress on Physical Activity and Public Health in Bangkok, said, "Kids need to get away from the computer and video games, go outside and play more."

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/21/thai-d-couch-thai-children-score-low-international-active-kids-report

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-21

35 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The fat kids are always eating icecream or deepfried stuff, make homework in fastfoodrestaurants and mostly the parents are fat as well.

Always funny to look what the kids eat at Sizzlers, nothing green ends up their plates.

I disagree. There are green tea milk drinks, ice cream and cakes...

But do you notice? Most of these fat kids have Chinese blood in them...

Edited by trogers

I could not help but notice that the kids in the front of the photo are shining examples of zero energy expended. IN our area over the past 5 or so years we have noticed the huge percentage of overweight kids.

Junk foods, fat foods, endless sweets, little or no exercise = the photo. I read recently the incredible amount of sugar consumed annually by the average Thai.

I am always suggesting to our daughter to go and meet up with her friends and do something outside. Though I do not see many open spaces/parks with playground equipment for such activities. Hell, there are even many fishing lakes in the area.

When I was young my mum  had to chain me to the table to even eat as I was ALWAYS outside playing or working. Only thing done in the house was eating, sleeping and homework.

Different times and cultures yield different results.

I agree that the temperature plus lack of cool places outdoors are not inviting for kids.

Bangkokians also have small gardens/condo's so kids can only run in the malls.

They also sit many hours in those pesky minivans.

Thailand needs much more green with big tree's for shade, not only at the playground but also along every road/sidewalk. Get rid of the streetvendors with their deepfry pans and hotdogs, sell fruit/salads (without fat dressing) and let the kids be outside...

But even in the moobaan kids rarely play outside, mummy doesn't want her girl to get brown skin......

My friend showed me her young (very fat) daughter and said, ohh what a nice white legs...All i saw was legs that were double the normal size, couldn't be bothered with the white color.

"Thai kids received a nearly failing score on a recent international report on children around the world and exercise."

With 7-11s and sugar drink stands being built next to or across the road from schools, the kids don't have to walk more than 20 meters. I've seen some kids motor bike across the road. Then when they come home, the food is full of sugar. Compounding that is the belief that obesity in children shows that the family is prosperous. Some more motivation to lead an unhealthy lifestyle. 

Their activity level is limited to playing video games or surfing the internet. It doesn't appear that adequate physical education is required in the schools.

The only deterrent in the America is that the slightest obesity is shamed, which presents its own problems with body image. However, it does motivate a segment of the population to exercise and watch their diets in a healthy way. 

There is no profit from a healthy population for the big pharmaceutical companies. So they sure aren't going to interfere with future income from insulin sales.

Edited by jaltsc

There is some good news for Thailand, though. The 'Active Healthy Kids' report shows that Thais received a 'B' for the parents' concern about their children's health, while Scotland received a 'D-' and Wales a 'D+'.

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

"Thai kids received a nearly failing score on a recent international report on children around the world and exercise."

Their activity level is limited to playing video games or surfing the internet. It doesn't appear that adequate physical education is required in the schools.

Saluting the flag and lining up, sitting on the floor, standing up again....singing the army anthem -   it all burns calories...

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

There is some good news for Thailand, though. The 'Active Healthy Kids' report shows that Thais received a 'B' for the parents' concern about their children's health, while Scotland received a 'D-' and Wales a 'D+'.

Yes they do.

And show it by making sure they get antibiotics as soon as they sneeze.... :whistling:

And keep them away from the sun and moving ...:thumbsup:

Jaltsc said:

"The only deterrent in America is that the slightest obesity is shamed, which presents its own problems with body image."

This deterrent effect you mention is obviously not having much impact judging by what I see on TV news, when Americans are videod or interviewed.   I am constantly amazed at the size of many kids and adults seen in the media and witnessed during visits to the USA on several occasions in the past. Staying in a hotel there a few years ago, I ordered a sandwich  and when it was brought to my room, I could only manage to eat half of it as it was enormous and came with all sorts of trimmings, including french fries.   I guess many people would feel that, as they have paid for it, they ought to eat it all.

I am from the UK and I am sorry to say that we have a similar problem with overweight and obese kids and adults.

12 hours ago, catinthehat said:

I could not help but notice that the kids in the front of the photo are shining examples of zero energy expended. IN our area over the past 5 or so years we have noticed the huge percentage of overweight kids.

Junk foods, fat foods, endless sweets, little or no exercise = the photo. I read recently the incredible amount of sugar consumed annually by the average Thai.

I looked at the OP photo and I immediately thought it was the new Thai olympic eating team....

The big issue is the parents,  giving a kid a motorbike (or use of) at an early age does not encourage physical activity, they ride to the local 7/11, stuff themselves full of sweets and other crap, then ride home. Not setting a good example, dad is pissed up on Lao Cao by mid afternoon and sleeping , instead of taking the kids out to kick a ball or 2.

Local government & schools do bugger all to promote sports, physical activity & outdoor pursuits. Remember these schools make money from fast food vendors operating on their premises, why would they encourage the kids to do otherwise?

The local eatery in our small town has come up with a novel idea, they have turfed a small area of land behind their restaurant , created a mini football field, every arvo there is 20 odd kids playing football (and none of these kids are porkers) , whilst the parents can sit inside the open air eatery,and enjoy a cold beverage and a meal.

More needs to be done by private businesses  & companies in small and large towns, sponsor a junior sports team or 2 , give them somewhere to play, instigate a competition within the local region.  This will encourage and enhance personal fitness, competitiveness, discipline and team work, all good characteristics for future development.