Over 70% of Thai young adults ages 20-35 have “gigs”

webfact

Over 70% of Thai young adults ages 20-35 have “gigs”

gig.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation (WMP) says 71.7% of Thai males ages 20-35 have several "gigs" or bits on the side.

The finding of Thai young adults having several gigs or bits on the side (girl friends with short-term relationship) came from its recent survey of “Family Violence with Male Gender-based Dominance”.

A total of 1,617 samples of Thai young adults ages 20-35 were interviewed.

The result showed that 8O% of these samples have bawled out their wives and lovers, and 74.7% have admitted of using rude words with them to relieve anger and frustration.

But a significant finding what was that 71.7% of them admitted to have several “gigs” for choice.

The survey also revealed that when these young adults get angry, 57.3% will resort to destroying things in the houses, 68.9% will leave the house for drinking.

But what the foundation most worried was that 44.8% of those leaving the house for drinking will return and assault their wives or lovers, and 42.4% of these drunk adults will resort to forced sexual intercourses.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/oover-70-of-thai-young-adults-ages-20-35-have-gigs/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-22

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, thai3 said:

In other words 70% have prostitutes on the side. Why anyone, Thai or not, would want a relationship with more than one Thai woman is a mystery.

Gigs are not likely prostitutes... and as to your mystery - - are you kidding? Or have never been a young male - 

This really isn't anything new. Last year Durex did a survey of the most adulterous countries in the World. Thailand came out tops. Obviously the Thai youngsters are carry on the tradition.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/the-worlds-10-most-adulterous-nationalities/

I'm surprised that China does not feature in the List?

If a girl reaches 25, and still not married:

she will never get married to a Chinese bloke

- because it is automatically assumed she already has a child (hidden? ) away somewhere,

and so won't marry her, because he will have become denied having his own (legitimate) child...

... a perfect storm

30 minutes ago, fruitman said:

How come only the boys have gigs? They sleep with old women in the gig-hotels?

We have loads of shorttime hotels around here but i've never ever seen a car go in out, why those huge places don't go bankrupt? Do they have underground entrances?

not only boys have gigs, the term generally means a friend with "benefits" or a fock buddy.

i have had and been a gig,  its just a bit of fun. 

the article is something of a joke, as is the study itself.

women are more likely to play their cards closer to the chest when it comes to having a bit on the side.

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

What a stupid remark maybe you are so ugly and hard to live with that you have to pay for all female company. But to imply that all thai woman are for sale is just stupid.

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Gigs are not paid for. Its just an extra gf.

Its an alien concept for many foreignets who are used to paying for it.

If you figured it out, I'm sure other "foreignets" can grasp the concept. 

10 minutes ago, thai3 said:

of course gigs are paid for, they are Thai women.

In that sense all women get paid but I don't think you mean that.  In Thailand a mia noi gets paid her expenses on a long term basis.  A sopanee gets paid each time.  A gig is free in as much as any woman can be free. 

Does anyone remember a story recently where a bar / come entertainment centre raided by police  in Rayong , was used by HiSo Thai women to be entertained by young men????  Women have toyboys too , same same !!!  Move on to real stories. 

12 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

not only boys have gigs, the term generally means a friend with "benefits" or a fock buddy.

i have had and been a gig,  its just a bit of fun. 

the article is something of a joke, as is the study itself.

women are more likely to play their cards closer to the chest when it comes to having a bit on the side.

Exactly.

Guys always brag it up.

11 minutes ago, rijb said:

If you figured it out, I'm sure other "foreignets" can grasp the concept. 

Sure but its that period of time before they do figure it out that is so hard for so many farang because they have often already committed with monthly payments, gifts, maybe a condo and even marriage or fathered a child with their Thai love. 

Then they find out and are heart broken and broke.

Right?

they each have to have giks to show off - to keep up with the Joneses

I keep reminding the missus of what life was like for them when young...

- that were all treated 'like chickens, with a warm hole in them'

51 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Gigs are not likely prostitutes... and as to your mystery - - are you kidding? Or have never been a young male - 

I have and was always devoted to my partner.  i never strayed or even thought about it.  my exwife threatened to cut my boys off if it even crossed my mind and in the meantime as I found out she was screwing everything she could get.

54 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Paid for sex = prostitiute

You need to learn Thai better. Gik is different from dok. 

It comes from googik which means to flirt, but gik has come to mean a casual relationship or side girl. 

Edited by the donger

The thing some people, probably certain disgruntled males need to get into their heads is.........WOMEN ALSO LIKE SEX!! It is possible that a woman will sleep with you....wait for it.....just for the pleasure of it. Yes, thats right folks even Thai women like to have orgasms. They are NOT all prostitutes. Some men that take care of themselves, learn to lingo to a reasonable level and conduct themselves in a gentlemanly way  can actually do quite well......Those that cant can still pay for it.

52 minutes ago, robblok said:

What a stupid remark maybe you are so ugly and hard to live with that you have to pay for all female company. But to imply that all thai woman are for sale is just stupid.

That's the secret. It's because I'm not as direct and give more to think about how stupid a comment can be it's not nice and has to be removed. Thank-you. 

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

You might have used 'Thai' as an additional word in that comment............................;)

Giks are only Giks in Thailand. Throughout the world, 'friends with benefits'  come with many different titles.

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post

I love this. I came to live in thailand in my 30s and had ONLY gigs. Never a real relationship always just good old fun. The most i paid for it was som dtam lunch 300thb max. Some gigs even paid me dinner. In the west a girl sleeping with guys for fun is considered a nymphomaniac. Here its just sanook and natural urge like eating and sh@tting....

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Gigs are not paid for. Its just an extra gf.

Its an alien concept for many foreignets who are used to paying for it.

"Gigs are not paid for. Its just an extra gf."

Those men, both Thai and foreign who keep a "gik-gig" on the side are often providing accomodation, transportation, clothing etc. The man may not be paying her after each sexual encounter, but she is always available for his enjoyment as part of the "deal" .

In other words a mistress, inamorata or  a kept woman. Whichever way you cut it, she's providing a product and a service for remuneration of some kind.