Fastest Car/Truck you have Owned

canthai55

Let's hear from the people who Love cars.

Got a job which entailed lots of hiway driving. Picked up a 1968 Mustang Mach One 428 SCJ with spun bearings. Replaced the short block, mild head work, 780 Holley, headers. Stuffed some 273 gears in the diff.

First time out broke the speedo cable on that little post past 120 mph.. Loved to find Beemers and Porsches - there's no replacement for displacement.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back home the fastest would have been an old R32 GTR Skyline I had  9-10 years ago.. thing was insane. 

Computer/Cams/Turbos done. 

Thing was a rocket. 

Went to an STI WRX was a nice car too very quick not as fast as the GTR but it really stopped awesome tires and brakes out of the box. 

Diesel Truck in Thailand.. lol Speed has changed. Not that I could drive either of those cars in anger here. 

Edited by wow64

Just sold my A31 Nissan cefiro which had a Toyota 2JZ engine with a small holset single turbo. Had it tuned to run on E85, full boost at 3200rpm, very responsive. Lightweight car also (1390kg) which made awesome power, 540hp at the wheels! It could obliterate everything I saw on the road. The only replacement for displacement in my opinion is forced induction.

Great fun to drive fast, would give most passengers palpations, horrible to drive slow though with its twin plate clutch. My girlfriend actually refused to drive it. Sold it and got something more suitable for her to drive also; a 2012 Skoda fabia Vrs (1.4 twin charged = turbo + supercharger)

So this car feels so much more comfortable to drive, but I am obviously not satisfied with the power after driving my old car. Looking at some bolt on kits and a tune to increase the power to around 250bhp. Either that or get a new car to play with for myself.

Previous car before the Cefiro was a 1996 Toyota supra. Similar mods to the cefiro, single turbo, 500+ whp, was living in Australia back then. Took it racing on an airstrip to an event called racewars. Roll on drag racing, start at 30km/hr and then go flat out for 800m. Great fun. I got the car up to 270km/hr, could easily have gone faster but ran out of space. Expensive hobby though. Always want more power. 

Edited by madhav

I had a Mitsubishi VR4 15 years ago. A 2.5L twin turbo V6 engine that was capable of doing 0 - 100 kmph in under 6 seconds. I was living in Singapore then so was unable to let the car fully stretch its legs until I had crossed the Tuas border crossing into Johor, Malaysia. I got it up to 160 kmph in Johor and was surprised to be overtaken by a Malaysian in a souped up Proton lol.

17 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

I had a Mitsubishi VR4 15 years ago. A 2.5L twin turbo V6 engine that was capable of doing 0 - 100 kmph in under 6 seconds. I was living in Singapore then so was unable to let the car fully stretch its legs until I had crossed the Tuas border crossing into Johor, Malaysia. I got it up to 160 kmph in Johor and was surprised to be overtaken by a Malaysian in a souped up Proton lol.

Car before my supra was a 1996 Vr4 legnum (wagon version of the galant Vr4). Had the turbos upgraded and made 360 whp. Everyone thought it was a family wagon. Great cars with the 4wd. Like a Evo.

There is always someone faster. I thought 500 whp was fast and then you meet someone with 800 and then 1000 etc etc. Guys in the USA are getting over 2000 whp out of twin turbo Lamborghinis. 

Edited by madhav

Ok, I know this is not fair , but you did not say street legal......

1963 class winner at Bonnieville salt flats 237 MPH

a couple of drag NHRA drag cars that were class winner at 134mph

and the other one I think was 130 MPH in the 1/4 milles.....

Fast in the day , but slow now......

13 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

ages ago, had lots of Minis, 970s, 998s and 1275s

all of them were good for 210 + km/hour - that was GREAT FUN,

this about 40+ years ago

(Europe was flooded with fairly advanced tuning kits for Minis, for a wee charge)

Think they did not have that sort of top speed...

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

Ok, I know this is not fair , but you did not say street legal......

Legal Smegal - don't care. Never made it to Bonnieville, had plans for years to test my H2 but the bonehead next door burned down his house - and mine - so that plan went up in smoke.

Kudos for the Class win.

8 hours ago, transam said:

Think they did not have that sort of top speed...

I said tuning kits, should have said rebuild sets

astonishing what you could buy for Mini engines at that time ( not costly )

new cylinder heads allowing for OHC

mirrored cylinder heads so you could fit twin Weber carbs

cam shafts out of this world

even a couple of companies offering crankshafts with 5 bearings rather than 3

pistons, valves, piston rings, valve springs, push rods, rods, you name it, all made for very high rev/compression

9 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I said tuning kits, should have said rebuild sets

astonishing what you could buy for Mini engines at that time ( not costly )

new cylinder heads allowing for OHC

mirrored cylinder heads so you could fit twin Weber carbs

cam shafts out of this world

even a couple of companies offering crankshafts with 5 bearings rather than 3

pistons, valves, piston rings, valve springs, push rods, rods, you name it, all made for very high rev/compression

Building an engine with more HP will not increase top end speed so for your mini to reach speeds of 120+mph you would have to also change gearing.

Fastest Ive ever owned was a series 1 RX7 with a very angry bridge port turbo. topped out at a very scary 230km/h

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Building an engine with more HP will not increase top end speed so for your mini to reach speeds of 120+mph you would have to also change gearing.

Fastest Ive ever owned was a series 1 RX7 with a very angry bridge port turbo. topped out at a very scary 230km/h

of course, gear boxes underwent surgery, as did suspension and steering

23 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

ages ago, had lots of Minis, 970s, 998s and 1275s

all of them were good for 210 + km/hour - that was GREAT FUN,

this about 40+ years ago

(Europe was flooded with fairly advanced tuning kits for Minis, for a wee charge)

Do you mean 1098S? ... Mykethemin must have breathed on yours then. I remember 649 cams.  I had a 1293S but it wouldn't do much more than 100mph... though that seemed more than quick enough driving the stages in the Yorkshire Dales!!!!  

Mini's were my thing waaaaaay, back. All mini's, including Cooper S had 3.75 F/D except the 1275, that had 3.44 as standard. 3.75 performance mini's were good for about 90mph and the 3.44 around a ton. To get another 30 mph out of one must have been quite a feat.

I must ask, how do you fit a 5 main crank in a 3 main block..? 

Had MANY fast cars. So what's fast? 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed. To each his own. My 40 Studebaker with an LS-6 454 was scary fast, my 64 Dodge with a 426 was fast, my 63 Corvette with a 340hp 327 was fast but I had a 63 Studebaker Avanti R3 model (supercharged 304) that was clocked at 157mph going through Baker California. Now that was one fast car.

and my slowest car.........425cc of raw 2CV power.......45mph is about it after half a mile to get there......

This thread is like the "how long is a piece of string" question ,  and we are asking what king of string :)

and this is why I liked Top Gear , because there are all kinds of Car people

cheers

Possibly I will be the only one to understand the first part of my reply. I had a 1961 Ford Starliner with the factory R Code 390 cu inch engine. Rated at 375 HP with a single 4 barrel. Ate hot Chevys for breakfast lunch and dinner. Guy said "wanna run that rat?". So like a movie his crowd blocked off Aurora Ave North in Seattle and I left him far behind as I crossed the Aurora Ave Bridge.  A 4 speed would have been nice though. That car today is worth big bucks. Then in '68 a new Plymouth GTX, 440, 4spd. 

How's this for a different twist on a fast car...I once owned a '99 MB AMG E55; and for grins tooled along the high Mohave Desert with my oldest son one fine day @ 265-kph.  On a long, straight two-lane country highway, we rocketed past an old geezer and his wife, driving what appeared to be a 1950's Ford pickup truck.  I caught in that flashing instance of our passage, the astonished look on their faces as my jet black wraith sucked all of the paint off of his ride.  As we decelerated down through 160-kph, my car seemed to be going in slow motion, but throughout it rode as if on rails. Life begins at 250+!  I used to eat Corvettes for lunch, easily outdragging them from a full stop up through a quarter-mile or so, until their ungoverned motors allowed them to pass me. The MB dealer explained that my car had no fewer than nine limiters installed.  The car was electronically limited to 260-265 max.  Plenty fast enough for the average guy, right?

The other cool memory was being tailed by a CHP patrolman on the 101 freeway near Camarillo, CA on a Sunday morning. I was carefully keeping it down to 80 mph (130+ kph) as that was the generally-held understanding of the maximum permitted speed tolerated by the fuzz, as long as you weren't weaving between lanes. Finally, he switched on his flashers and I pulled over. I anticipated that this was the only cop in miles to cite somebody cruising along at a mere 80, but when he approached me, he asked "hey, where are you heading this morning?"  I explained that I was enroute to a golf lesson further down the road, and he then replied "no problem, I didn't stop you to give you a ticket...I just wanted to check out your machine. Just try to keep it under 85 or so and you're good" ?  Good old Southern California!

Edited by Fore Man
Improved clarity

A cherry 1966 Ford Fairlane GTA (convertible) with bucket seats, sporty console, sport GT identification badges and wheel covers, 390 cu. in. V8 with, 4 barrel, 335-hp, with a C-6 Cruise-O-Matic sport shift automatic transmission. (not my photo, but exact look)

66_Fairlane-01.jpg

Edited by lgking

wont make the fastest list but they were/are fun.

1st car (1986) a 1971 LC XU1 Torana. Good for a kidney jarring 125mph if you could believe the speedo. Unfortunately some lowlife stole this one.

2nd car (1988) a 1971 LC GTR Torana with a slightly modified 308. Engineered and legal. About 280 hp I would guess. Only 120mph still but it got there faster. Just don't try to go round corners fast.

3rd (1994) 1990 Honda Integra - blah

4th (1999) a 1999 Magna "Sports" 3.5 V6. (an oxymoron I know). Managed to get it to an indicated 202kmh which was pretty impressive for that car. Again - don't go around corners.

5th (2001) a 2001 Holden VXII ss commodore. 5.7 litre LS1 with mild cam and modified ECU. 243 Kilowatts at the rear wheels. About 330 Aussie Horsepowers ;-) With the digital speedo managed 243kmh on the Breeza Plains with room for more.

6th (2012) a 2012 HSV Clubsport 6.2 Litre LS3 with 317 Kilowatts at the engine from the factory. Stock standard running gear still - in fact a pretty boring car. Only been to 230kmh and have not pushed this one.

Oh - and the Old 1964 EH Holden ute in the shed on the farm... with a 186 ci non original motor but stock you can get 100mph... or 110 if it is just about to boil. ;-)

Torana_XU1_004[1].jpg

Torana_XU1_008[1].jpg

Torana_GTR_016[1].jpg

rnw_0008[1].jpg

Magna001[1].jpg

Integra003[1].jpg

IMG_0316[1].JPG

5 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

Back in 1990 I bought a 2 year old XJS V12 Jag

I don't know what moved faster the car or the fuel gauge  :blink:

It reached 140 in first ( 3 speed Turbo 400 )

Top gear say good bye to licence, just under 290 KPH :blink:

wow top speed of 180mph, that's incredible and a number that is not supported with my google searches.