Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, DrDweeb said:

I guess I m not communicating clearly. I need some of the documents that can apparently only be obtained with an "O-A" visa.

I could care less about extensions at this point, since the current "O" is onlt a fortnight old!

Almost any document can be obtained from any Visa type.

Where are you obtaining your information from?

There is no such Visa as a retirement Visa.

There is an 'extension of stay based on retirement' which can only be obtained from holding a Non Imm Visa.

You can obtain a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, Embassy, Police or Amphur, but you must supply proof of your address to obtain one.

41 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Agents are already offering the 10 yr visa. If you have the money it's available immediately.

Or perhaps the agents are offering to take the money immediately....

You may have to wait a bit for the visa!

No. If your in Pattaya, ask around face to face with agents. Plenty will do it for you. It's no secret.

Unfortunately I'm working (in Singapore) at the moment, but if I ping Darren at Key Visa, he'll be able to sort me out???

6 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

No. If your in Pattaya, ask around face to face with agents. Plenty will do it for you. It's no secret.

I think you will find it is a secret.

So secret nobody knows about it apart from you.

Edited by Lite Beer

32 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Since you cannot or don't want to confirm your statement by naming an an agent I think this discussion needs to end.

No more back and forth between you and other members. Time to end it.

Edit:  Several posts have been removed.

I just read an advertisement on Facebook about this visa. The advert was placed by some kind of Thai property finding service.
I noticed it said 100,000 Baht per month income OR 3 million in a bank account. 
Is the OR part correct?

"The new Thailand-Ten-Year-Retirement-Visa will cost 10,000 Baht ($280) and foreign senior tourists must be 50 years old or older in order to be eligible. They are required to obtain the non-immigrant long stay visa beforehand, and also meet certain financial criteria. It is understood that the existing retirement visa will remain available, for those that are unable to meet the criteria of the enhanced ten-year-visa.

This is big news for retirees in Thailand looking to spend a long time in Thailand. The Ministry of Public Health reported to the cabinet on the 22nd November 2016 that the number of foreigners looking to stay and retire in Thailand is on the rise. Main areas of popularity are Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Chon Buri, and other popular resorts close to the seaside.

Keen to capitalise on this increase of wealthy foreigners staying in Thailand, the Thai government has approved this incentive – but it’s not for everyone.

To qualify for the new Thailand-Ten-Year-Retirement-Visa, applicants must have a monthly income of at least 100,000 baht ($2800) or a bank account with three million baht deposited ($84,000). If the latter, this must be maintained as available funds for at least one year after the granting of the Thailand-Ten-Year Retirement Visa.

The Thailand-Ten-Year-Retirement-Visa will be available for visitors from the following countries: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States.

In addition to the above, applicants are required to have medical insurance cover. This is for one year, with at least $1,000 US for our-patient care and $10,000 dollars for in-patient care each time. It’s important to note that holders of the new visa must also report to a designated immigration office every 90 days.

Note: This 90 day report may be carried out with power of attorney of a local lawyer on your behalf. (Removed name of company. OP.) 

Coming from Facebook this is obviously not a reliable source but.......

I'm on a O-A visa and would struggle to meet the requirements for the new 10 year visa.I get the impression from this post that the new 10 year visa is in addition to the O-A and not a replacement ?

Have we had this confirmed by any reliable sources yet ??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Coming from Facebook this is obviously not a reliable source but.......

I'm on a O-A visa and would struggle to meet the requirements for the new 10 year visa.I get the impression from this post that the new 10 year visa is in addition to the O-A and not a replacement ?

Have we had this confirmed by any reliable sources yet ??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

We don't know for sure yet whether this will be the new OA but keep in mind OA is separate from extensions.

So if I qualify based on salary but only until I stop working (what difference/advantage over the 2-year BOI visa I already have) do I then qualify based on cash at the bank (assuming THB 3m+) until I no longer have that amount and then run risk of arrest/deportation with only THB 2.9m and a Thai family to support?

I'm planning on THB 400,000 kept in a separate account, untouched for indefinite, annual non-Imm O visa renewals, or a possible permanent residency permit within the next few years prior to retirement.

I actually like the 90 day report - makes me feel "wanted"...

On 11/22/2016 at 6:19 PM, DiamondKing said:

3 Million in the Bank and you cant touch it for 1 year after the visa is issues or 100,000 in salary coming in every month 

ITS A JOKE 

More than a joke I think it's more like the plan to a caper in the Land of Scams (LOS).

11 hours ago, PiAnt said:

I'm planning on THB 400,000 kept in a separate account, untouched for indefinite, annual non-Imm O visa renewals, or a possible permanent residency permit within the next few years prior to retirement.

I actually like the 90 day report - makes me feel "wanted"...

You mean an extension of stay based on marriage (400,000 in a Thai bank).

You cannot renew a Visa, it expires. You renew your permission to stay, which is a Permit not a Visa.

If this ill conceived plan to add wealth to Thailand and or the pockets of the corrupt I suspect it will backfire. Imagine if large numbers of X pats who reside here yearly leave. What will be the economic impact? I believe it will be much more than the ones initiating this change could have imagined.

Personally I think this plan is an idea intended to steal money from X pats saving accounts.

58 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

If this ill conceived plan to add wealth to Thailand and or the pockets of the corrupt I suspect it will backfire. Imagine if large numbers of X pats who reside here yearly leave. What will be the economic impact? I believe it will be much more than the ones initiating this change could have imagined.

Personally I think this plan is an idea intended to steal money from X pats saving accounts.

Nobody is forcing you to choose this visa option. Key word OPTION.  If you don't like it, take a pass. If you are not from one of the few selected countries, you can't choose it anyway.

55 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

That's rather negative thinking. 

Seriously, if an expat who resides here can't show 3 million in the bank, he is unlikely to be making a significant impact on the economy in the first instance. Undoubtedly, he will remove some money from the economy and it might impact on those that depend upon him but is hardly a drop in the ocean when talking in terms of GDP.

don't just have scenarios in mind for this re: visa income and retail bank accounts. the Thai Baht ****is**** undervalued.  the BOT pretty much only holds US Treasury debt to date... and outflows continue as Thai nationals get to use a nominee, without even for the asking, merely by placing their wealth in off shore accounts. 

if Trump and his 'US Dollah' too overvalued visavis Asian currencies.... Thai health care expenses continue to rise... FATCA continues to bite in..... etc..... a return to the post 1997 trend could easily make the current 800K Baht or whatever look like 3M in just a few weeks of FX trading.  and stay there.

be hedged for this if you have a dollar or Euro based pension... or else.

Edited by maewang99

5 hours ago, dentonian said:

You mean an extension of stay based on marriage (400,000 in a Thai bank).

You cannot renew a Visa, it expires. You renew your permission to stay, which is a Permit not a Visa.

and you mean bla-bla... bla-bla... yakety-yak blabla :sick: