Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bias or preconceived view. The facts I use I have already been stated. I go by logic and what has happened in the past. If some of you want to discount the historical precedents and go on your pessimistic view of Thailand- that they are out to get us; going to force many to leave; and simply don't want us here- be my guest. Frankly, I have had enough pessimism to last me a lifetime. Cheers

Just now, Thaidream said:

I have bias or preconceived view. The facts I use I have already been stated. I go by logic and what has happened in the past. If some of you want to discount the historical precedents and go on your pessimistic view of Thailand- that they are out to get us; going to force many to leave; and simply don't want us here- be my guest. Frankly, I have had enough pessimism to last me a lifetime. Cheers

It was aimed at the pesimists, I am over it as well.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is a perception running through this thread, that the current group of expat retirees are poor, living in poverty and if mama noodles go up by 10 baht, they are finished. 

I think the opposite is the case, most retiree expats are in fact comfortable or very well off.

Look at the threads on Thaivisa, "whats the best new pick up", "whats the best school to send the kids to", "who does the best business class to Europe" etc etc.

These are not post from people living on the breadline

Well then presumably they can afford insurance. 

Edited by anotheruser

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

I not understand people like you!

I think you should leave thailand and go to your praised cambodia.

It's because of people like you who see always the negative first. Even when nothing is confirmed yet.

But it's the nature of some people to complain  (most time about nothing) but important they have something to say.

That being the case, all Thailand has to do is spell out EXACTLY what the requirements are and EXACTLY what they portend for those of us already retired here on an income far above most of the populace. Perhaps if they spelled it out, you would "understand people like me".

3 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

Being an old fart I need my afternoon kip.

So apologies for only getting to page 15/53.

If this is to be a variation of the OA Visa, as suggested, then I hope that Police checks are required (for all countries lived/worked in), plus thorough checks are made on the tax paid status of the funds otherwise they will be catering to a lot of grey/black economy fundees.

Then we'll see how smug some these "rich" posters are.

today, dear children, the Right Honourable Professor Dr. E. Vilbaz, Esq. will prove in one of his lectures pertaining to grey/black economies that he possesses a wealth of no idea about the topic.

:cheesy:

1 minute ago, Chip Allen said:

That being the case, all Thailand has to do is spell out EXACTLY what the requirements are and EXACTLY what they portend for those of us already retired here on an income far above most of the populace. Perhaps if they spelled it out, you would "understand people like me".

8 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Well then presumably they can afford insurance. 

WRONG!!! At the rates Thai hospitals charge, insurance should be no more than about 60 USD per month, much as it is in Central and South America. 600 dollars a month would buy insurance in America, which is the most obscenely priced coverage in the world. The requirements are out of line and the price of insurance is out of line with the cost of care.Thailand wants foreigners OUT. That is what is behind all of this "adjustment" in the rules.

Just now, Chip Allen said:

WRONG!!! At the rates Thai hospitals charge, insurance should be no more than about 60 USD per month, much as it is in Central and South America. 600 dollars a month would buy insurance in America, which is the most obscenely priced coverage in the world. The requirements are out of line and the price of insurance is out of line with the cost of care.Thailand wants foreigners OUT. That is what is behind all of this "adjustment" in the rules.

Guess they might have to fly coach at that point then.

34 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The cabinet meeting resolution says, "to extend period of stay for Long Stay Visa from 1 year to 10 years". It implies that the 1 year is changing to 10, but it's possible that they will keep the 1 year too. This is only the proposal and the full details won't be known until announced by the MFA.

Just which Visa are we talking about here.

The Non Imm O-A Visa is regarded as the 'long stay' Visa.

If that is the case and they don't offer both options, a lot of over 50 expats are just going to find another Country to stay long term.

11 hours ago, digibum said:

I think the biggest problem is that it's not the same place it was 15 years ago.  I know a lot of people say stuff like that all the time and change is inevitable but most of the change I've seen over the 15 - 20 years has been negative change.  

Yes, change is... inevitable!!!!! I agree. And yes again, it has been mostly a negative change..... Would make a nice change if it would change for good..... but somehow, I really doubt it will ever change for better in LOS or elsewhere.....

Time will tell....... 

4 minutes ago, dentonian said:

If that is the case and they don't offer both options, a lot of over 50 expats are just going to find another Country to stay long term.

Agreed. I think that part of the point of this is to ensure some people find another country. 

7 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

The subsidized medical for Thai people is cheap. Medical for foreigners who are not covered by the Thai medical can be expensive. 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

The subsidized medical for Thai people is cheap. Medical for foreigners who are not covered by the Thai medical can be expensive. 

If insurance is that expensive then people can use the TE visa. Nothing to prove for income and no need for anything in a bank. Staying in Thailand is very easy. 

Just now, anotheruser said:

Agreed. I think that part of the point of this is to ensure some people find another country. 

No. It's about money. More of it. It's always been like that. Valid for other countries as well, it's just that for Thailand it comes across in a way that some may perceive as insulting.

Anybody remember the TAT commercial for the wealthy HK market? The idea is quite clear.

European, Asian is less relevant, all they care about is how much you spend in Thailand.

Whether the money is clean, not clean, tax paid or not paid is also irrelevant, it's still money.

Family ties, being married and all that has less relevance.

7 minutes ago, jeffcool said:

Yes, change is... inevitable!!!!! I agree. And yes again, it has been mostly a negative change..... Would make a nice change if it would change for good..... but somehow, I really doubt it will ever change for better in LOS or elsewhere.....

Time will tell....... 

Not true. Both Vietnam and Cambodia are making bids for retiree business. Both countries offer benefits not available here and Vietnam is quite a bit cheaper than Thailand. The only downside there is having to leave the country every ninety days. In Cambodia there is NO such requirement and the requirements they DO have are extremely reasonable. If I had wanted to retire in Cambodia, that's where I would have gone. The fact is, that I chose Thailand.Many have made the same decision. They don't deserve to be booted out with no consideration given to their circumstances. Thai elites believe we can ALWAYS come up with the money necessary and that is what drives this insanity.

7 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I think the extension based on retirement will still be available at same conditions. Only the Longstay visa O-A (1 year) "maybe" will change... maybe the 1-year will still stay....

Just now, lkv said:

No. It's about money. More of it. It's always been like that. Valid for other countries as well, it's just that for Thailand it comes across in a way that some may perceive as insulting.

Anybody remember the TAT commercial for the wealthy HK market? The idea is quite clear.

European, Asian is less relevant, all they care about is how much you spend in Thailand.

Whether the money is clean, not clean, tax paid or not paid is also irrelevant, it's still money.

Family ties, being married and all that has less relevance.

Yes, that is obviously true. This could be a expedited relocation service for those without money to Cambodia. That is what I meant, this isn't designed to bring more people into Thailand but rather to thin the herd. 

Here's how I read this:-
1)    Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries

or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa.

Holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 5 years with multiple entry and granted for another 5-year extension with multiple entry.

No fancy changes underlining font size bs.
Simple, now do you get it.

Some of us do. The others will carry on debating the issue until this new law is implemented.

28 minutes ago, dentonian said:

The proposal is about the Non-Imm 'O-A' Visa.

If they do away with the 1 year it will definitely affect the choices of a few, but they could still get a 1 year extension of stay instead.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

If they do away with the 1 year it will definitely affect the choices of a few, but they could still get a 1 year extension of stay instead.

On the basis that we haven't heard any else on this from people in authority, and the fact that TIT, I don't see or read things as any clearer.

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:
37 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Here is the difference between current Type O retirement and Type O-A retirment according to

Thai Immigation under the Thai retirement section.

Q: Is it possible the new type O-A rules have nothing to do with Type-O retirement, which is therefore not affected at all?

Processing of Visa Application

There are at least two ways on how to get a visa to retire in Thailand:

1. Application outside Thailand.

A foreigner who meets the age requirement set by the Thai Embassy (in their country) can directly apply for the 1 Year Non-Immigrant OA visa from their home country. Application for this type of visa requires the applicant to submit a police clearance and medical certificate.

2. Application inside Thailand

Getting a 1 year visa extension inside Thailand based on retirement requires an initial application for a Non-Immigrant O visa. The Non-Immigrant O visa is usually applied at the Thai Embassy in the applicant’s home country, but it can also be obtained inside Thailand. However, the applicant must already meet the financial requirement if they wish to go with the latter.

In addition, applicants of Non-immigrant O visa extension in Thailand must provide evidence of their address in Thailand. Processing of visa extension is done at the immigration office in the same area, or usually the one nearest to their location in case there is none in their city or province.

Renewal of Extension

Once the applicant has obtained a one year extension of stay based on retirement, the extension can be renewed every year within Thailand. The renewal application must be done prior to the expiration of the current visa. The procedure for renewal is the same as for the initial application, and therefore this should be an easier task for retirees who are able to obtain an extension before.

On the basis that we haven't heard any else on this from people in authority, and the fact that TIT, I don't see or read things as any clearer.

Nothing will be clear as the Thai government has just passed the cabinet vote and now it goes onto the interior minister who will forward it to the ministry of foreign affairs, etc, etc. Until this is fine tuned and will probably be implemented next year.

1 minute ago, rabas said:

Q: Is it possible the new type O-A rules have nothing to do with Type-O retirement, which is therefore not affected at all?

Since the begining I'm thinking that there is no link with the current 1 year >50 yo extensionq.

The govenement is intrucing a new 5 years VISA O-A that you'll get ABROAD and they never talked about a replacement of:

- The 3 months VISA O (done in Bangkok) + the 1 year extension of stay (for retirement or > 50 yo)

21 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I agree that it's unclear whether there will be a 1 year AND a 10 year Non 'O-A'  visa. But what is clear is that 1 year extensions of stay are not changing, which is the way most over 50's stay here, and what most people seem worried about.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

I agree that it's unclear whether there will be a 1 year AND a 10 year Non 'O-A'  visa. But what is clear is that 1 year extensions of stay are not changing, which is the way most over 50's stay here, and what most people seem worried about.

Why don't they just SAY that, instead of leaving it to speculation? Many of us need time to get the hell OUT, if they are forcing us out.

Just now, elviajero said:

Untill today, you can have:

- 1 year VISA O-A abroad + n x 1 year extension

- 3 months VISA O in Bangkok + n x 1 year extensions

And what i'm thinkin we will have in a few months:

- 5 years VISA O-A abroad

- not sure about 1 year VISA O-A abroad + n x 1 year extension ?

- 3 months VISA O in Bangkok + n x 1 year extensions

Anyway we will still have this "3 months VISA iO n Bangkok + n x 1 year extensions"

The governement never talked about changing this VISA O used by pakistans, iranians, indians etc...

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

there is nothing in the new proposed  requirements that states a medical insurance policy has to be valid Worldwide. They will have real problems trying to verify coverages; limits; and where it can be used.  This will most likely be ignored if it is a requirement at all. Thailand will know that Medicare and the NHS will treat their citizens at home and a person very ill can go home for treatment.

Sorry, but that's completely ridiculous. The government will KNOW Medicare is no good in Thailand and they also know the most serious cases involve people that end up in hospital and unable to travel unless they get an air ambulance, about 100K dollars last time I checked. 

I hate the gnaw the old bone but .. visa = permission to enter the country, extension of permission to stay = exactly that. Visas you get outside Thailand, extensions inside. It helps to keep the two clear.

EDIT: From what I've understood they're talking about a 5 year extension of stay permit. Still need to enter the country on a non-imm O or O-A.

Edited by DrTuner