Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

I got my first O marriage visa in 2009, speaking with another expat recently he told me that a few years ago they changed one of the requirements. You have to have a letter from your embassy stating that if you had to leave thailand your wife would be eligible to return with you to your home country. So he could not get a O marriage visa because his embassy could not give him the required letter. However I have never had to provide that letter, and had no problem renewing the O marriage visa since that change.

While this new visa is supposed to replace or be an addition to types of visa available, It seems IMO that this visa is closer to the elite visa, the elite visa though is cheaper!

I have no idea how many expats are married to Thai ladies here in Thailand. But what would be the reaction of the wives and families that benefit from the farang husband. Not to mention the effect this might have on the economy! So the idea that somehow this is going to force thousands of expats to flee thailand just doesn't compute.   

Even looking at this face value, it is supposed to be for those that want to come for medical reasons (the hub) is the 3 million just incase your medical insurance doesn't cover you or you die on the operating table? Is that why you can't touch it for one year after getting the visa!

It is obvious this is the early stages of an idea,  Probably not a very well thought out one at that. If anything it is more likely to deter people from taking up this visa. I don't see an expat being willing to put that much into a thai bank just to get a visa when there are other countries that make it easier for expats to live there.

Just my opinion.   

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:
4 hours ago, Thaidream said:
If I am not mistaken- any American 65 or over has Medicare coverage and any citizen of the Uk  has NHS coverage. That covers any medical requirement- Show the insurance card to Immigration if asked.  There are also other ways to get insurance coverage in Thailand via the internet. Google is your friend.

Medicare cannot be used in Thailand.

Neither does a NHS card cover you in Thailand, there is no reciprocity between the UK and Thailand for medical cover. 

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Another thing of concern is that the precedent for medical coverage is being made with this new thing. I'm speculating here (openly) that this may be a red flag that it may be applied to others. 

surely you are just speculating, while telling others not to?

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm doing NOTHING of the kind and I consider your post extremely OBNOXIOUS. 

I'm simply saying don't make assumptions EITHER WAY and then present them as DEFINITE about the details about how this is going to shake out until we actually KNOW them.
You don't know them. I don't know them. The evidence I'm seeing now is that the Thai government doesn't even know everything about how this new thing will happen either. 

To speculate, to guess, is normal in this situation. To project you know for sure is just wrong. What you say may indeed turn out to be correct, but right now, it's simply PREMATURE. 

Your seeing exactly the same information we are all seeing but you chose just like your other posts to go to the extreme. No one knows but you chose to post all over the forum about the demise of the programme.

I find that obnoxious as do many others.

btw thought I was part of your ignore list club - I had the tshirt printed and I'm proud to wear it :)

To those that are 100 percent certain (how can you be defies common  sense) that this new O-A visa (for rich list nations) doesn't impact anyone else expect "rich list" nationals applying for it, can you answer these questions with full confidence --

-- For rich list nationals, can they still apply for an "old style" O-A visa from their home country or does this new O-A visa fully replace that for "rich list" nationals?

-- Will "rich list" nationals still be able to apply for single O visas in Laos and Malaysia and also do CHANGE OF STATUS in Thailand from tourist visas or 30 day stamps in Thailand to O visas? (As first step before applying for retirement extensions at current lower levels) OR will "rich list" nationals be told ...  for you guys, get a new O-A visa to start in the system and that O-A visa has the much higher requirements.  

-- Rich list nationals ... when they go in for their next annual retirement extension, will they be under the same current lower financial requirements as non "rich list" nationals? 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Luckysilk said:

Your seeing exactly the same information we are all seeing but you chose just like your other posts to go to the extreme. No one knows but you chose to post all over the forum about the demise of the programme.

I find that obnoxious as do many others.

btw thought I was part of your ignore list club - I had the tshirt printed and I'm proud to wear it :)

You aren't on my list. Possibly that was an error. 

I reject your obnoxious accusations.

There is nothing "extreme" about realizing that a changing situation can't ethically be labelled in fully DEFINITE terms.

Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The comments on pessimistic speculation have reached the point of the absurd and ridiculous. Some of you people need psychological assistance. Very sad indeed. Enough for me. Good night and good luck. 

As opposed to optimistic speculation. 

To you, asking questions, looking for clarification is pessimistic. Sounds more like ostrich head in the sand syndrome to label that that way. 

Like I said, speculation and guessing totally legit when things are in flux.

Presenting yourself as a DEFINITE authority on how things are going to shake out exactly when there isn't likely a human being alive that really knows ... UNETHICAL. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The comments on pessimistic speculation have reached the point of the absurd and ridiculous. Some of you people need psychological assistance. Very sad indeed. Enough for me. Good night and good luck. 

Yes, the chances of the current "retirement" visa being replaced by this 10 year one are as likely as Donald Trump becoming the Presi

Oh, hang on a minute...

1 minute ago, JetsetBkk said:

Yes, the chances of the current "retirement" visa being replaced by this 10 year one are as likely as Donald Trump becoming the Presi

Oh, hang on a minute...

Whats next, britain leaving the EU

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Because of the "rich list" limitation of the new visa thing, I am speculating that it is not replacing retirement extensions at the old levels for non-rich list nationals.

HOWEVER, I am wondering about future ENFORCEMENT on rich list nationals that have this HISO EXPAT option when they want to start in the system with a new O visa. Will they be told, for you guys, get the new O-A? Nobody knows so don't act like you do. 

I'm less concerned, but still I think it's worth questioning whether rich list nationals will encounter different enforcement when going for continuous extensions (on old O or O-A visas). It's fair to assume probably they'd be treated the same as non-rich listers, but again, nobody knows.  

Edited by Jingthing

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To those that are 100 percent certain (how can you be defies common  sense) that this new O-A visa (for rich list nations) doesn't impact anyone else expect "rich list" nationals applying for it, can you answer these questions with full confidence --

-- For rich list nationals, can they still apply for an "old style" O-A visa from their home country or does this new O-A visa fully replace that for "rich list" nationals?

-- Will "rich list" nationals still be able to apply for single O visas in Laos and Malaysia and also do CHANGE OF STATUS in Thailand from tourist visas or 30 day stamps in Thailand to O visas? (As first step before applying for retirement extensions at current lower levels) OR will "rich list" nationals be told ...  for you guys, get a new O-A visa to start in the system and that O-A visa has the much higher requirements.  

-- Rich list nationals ... when they go in for their next annual retirement extension, will they be under the same current lower financial requirements as non "rich list" nationals? 

First of all, the non O-A in the current format (valid for 12 months + 1 year stamp upon arrival) is not really available in all countries. Even though it appears to be on the menu, certain embassies will not issue it, while others will. And it has to be issued in your own country. So this type of segregation is not new.

So if we are to speculate, they redesign the non O-A from 1 year to 5 years and make it available in the mentioned countries only, all others (other countries or people not meeting the financial requirement or both), should stick to non-O extendable. 

That's my understanding of it with the limited information given so far.

Edited by lkv

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:
19 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Oh, hang on a minute...

Le Pen

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You have only asked one relevant question (highlighted). 

• It would appear from the proposal that they are changing the terms of the existing 'O-A' visa. But, as I have said, we need clarification of that, which will come when the MFA announce the new visa. Those staying in Thailand using the existing 1 year ME Non 'O-A' Visa could be affected but would still have choices.

There is no point asking the rest of your questions because no other changes have been proposed or announced. Until or unless they make proposals or announcements regarding any other immigration policy we can safely assume nothing is changing and it's business as usual.

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

First of all, the non O-A in the current format (1 year stamp upon arrival) is not really available in all countries. Even though it appears to be on the menu, certain embassies will not issue it, while others will. And it has to be issued in your own country. So this type of segregation is not new.

So if we are to speculate, they redesign the non O-A from 1 year to 5 years and make it available in the mentioned countries only, all others (other countries or people not meeting the financial requirement or both), should stick to non-O extendable. 

That's my understanding of it.

I assume the current O-A actually is available from home countries to all "rich list" nationals listed with this new visa.

So I find your post IRRELEVANT.

I am assuming PROBABLY this new O-A will indeed REPLACE the current O-A (lower levels) for people in the rich list nations.

Also, I'm not clear on this, will rich list nationals be able to start with the new O-A in Thailand (unlike current O-As)?

The bank account thing is very different with the new O-A. It's like MALAYSIA. Large deposit IN Thailand if you go the bank route.

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You have only asked one relevant question (highlighted). 

• It would appear from the proposal that they are changing the terms of the existing 'O-A' visa. But, as I have said, we need clarification of that, which will come when the MFA announce the new visa. Those staying in Thailand using the existing 1 year ME Non 'O-A' Visa could be affected but would still have choices.

There is no point asking the rest of your questions because no other changes have been proposed or announced. Until or unless they make proposals or announcements regarding any other immigration policy we can safely assume nothing is changing and it's business as usual.

Sure thing. No point asking. Uh huh. You're so definite. As if you're a high immigration authority with inside knowledge.

I don't buy it. 

Edited by Jingthing

Please continue to speculate as the posts are becoming more absurd as thenight continues. Now we are dividing countries into rich versus poor. I have no intention of even addressing the absurdity of this argument. Those who are so concerned should start packing; book airline tickets; sell condos and cars and get ready to run for the exit. The sky is falling.... run.. Good Lord people get a grip. I'm sorry- I have lost all patience with this nonsense.

Edited by Thaidream

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am assuming PROBABLY this new O-A will indeed REPLACE the current O-A (lower levels) for people in the rich list nations.

Also, I'm not clear on this, will rich list nationals be able to start with the new O-A in Thailand (unlike current O-As)?

"Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa."

Based on the cabinet proposal it is clear that they intend for the visa to be available in Thailand too, which would be a change. This is a good thing and would make sense if people need to have funds in a Thai bank to apply.

The poster who makes the most sense on this thread is Elviajero- his posts are well thought and make sense based upon past history and precedent as well as logic. He is not suggesting he is the ultimate authority but presenting the most, logical scenario. No one has to accept his opinion or mine. To the doom and gloom crowd- consider packing up; selling out and moving on. Otherwise stop the pessimism- the paranoia and the speculation of dread and doom.

the

Thaivisa paranoia 9.6 on the Richter scale. watch out for tsunamis! stay away from balconies! rabugento1.gif

You say that ,well one of my wife's clients who was buying a house just pulled out,because of the new rules,so a Thai has already "lost" money because of this,what a farce

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

There are no new rules- how many times does it have to be said- it is a proposal for another Visa type- sent to the Ministry of Interior for study and staffing.  Maybe this topic will reach 1000 pages  and the Visa never actually approved for issuance.

Edited by Thaidream

As I said before,forgetting the guys who live here on a very limited budget and have no family,there will be many who although not badly off could not afford the new rules nut live here with their family fairly comfortably, can you imagine them all being sent home alone? Leaving their wives and children,what an outcry,the Daily Mail would love it

8 minutes ago, i claudius said:

You say that ,well one of my wife's clients who was buying a house just pulled out,because of the new rules,so a Thai has already "lost" money because of this,what a farce

I don't think that this was the only reason... sorry to say this.. but who told, that if this announcement not were done that this client would really bought the house?

I don't think he really was in that house... else he maybe would told, that he want wait till he become more knowledge about the new rule....

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

There are no new rules- how many times does it have to be said- it is a proposal for another Visa type- sent to the Ministry of Interior for study and staffing.  Maybe this topic will reach 1000 pages  and the Visa never actually approved for issuance.

why only 1000 pages? :ermm:

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

You're right. It's not a definite thing yet. So people issuing DEFINITE pronouncements about the details about how this will shake out are obviously wrong to be doing so. 

38 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Please continue to speculate as the posts are becoming more absurd as thenight continues. Now we are dividing countries into rich versus poor. I have no intention of even addressing the absurdity of this argument. Those who are so concerned should start packing; book airline tickets; sell condos and cars and get ready to run for the exit. The sky is falling.... run.. Good Lord people get a grip. I'm sorry- I have lost all patience with this nonsense.

Excuse me but the text of the proposed change has done this. It provided a list of richer nationals that they hope to attract (and make them prove they're richer). If you can't deal with the reality of that, that's really a problem with your head. Thai law makers have no problem with it. Not a "PC" bunch, eh?

I never said start packing. Maybe someone else has, but that's not my take at all. 

My take is  nobody should be DEFINITE about any of this UNTIL a time comes when that can be backed up. 

Anyone that asserts that it is now is obviously and objectively incorrect. I don't think that's acceptable ETHICALLY on a news story about a half baked potential policy change. 

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think that this was the only reason... sorry to say this.. but who told, that if this announcement not were done that this client would really bought the house?
I don't think he really was in that house... else he maybe would told, that he want wait till he become more knowledge about the new rule....

He has pulled out and will not go ahead until he knows what is going to happen, believe me he was a genuine buyer,but is one of the "you never know what can happen " brigade,

This is classic!!!
The guy whose nickname is Thaidream should be called Thaifantasy. Love your post! Chicken Little. Great bed time story.

Now, the little people should go to bed because a nightmare is happening. You just can't see it can you. For years expats have been worried about what would happen in the future. Now you know. We are not wanted. Don't you get it?

Please tell me another bedtime story. I can't sleep. My world has been turned upside down.

2 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

This is classic!!!
The guy whose nickname is Thaidream should be called Thaifantasy. Love your post! Chicken Little. Great bed time story.

Now, the little people should go to bed because a nightmare is happening. You just can't see it can you. For years expats have been worried about what would happen in the future. Now you know. We are not wanted. Don't you get it?

Please tell me another bedtime story. I can't sleep. My world has been turned upside down.

A new long-term visa option is introduced to encourage long-stay foreigners and somehow you think this shows "we are not wanted"?  Incredible!