Expats In The Sticks - Explain Why?

thehelmsman

6 hours ago, Katipo said:

I would say most foreigners who live in the sticks don't really do it out of choice, but rather because their wife/gf wants to be near her family, and you need her if you want to have a place to call your 'own'.

The nearest member of my wife's family is in Bangkok so you could well be wrong there.

Before we bought the other part of the land I could have bought a condo but I couldn't live in a concrete jungle should to shoulder with my neighbours.

At least out here I know who my neighbours are and I also know that if I really need help they will do what they can. BTW they are all Thai. My nearest farang neighbour lives about 5 km away, is Belgian with little or no English.

Even if I was not married I could live in Thailand quite happily on my own simply by renting somewhere to live.

Life in the sticks is what you make of it just the same as living in a city.

Horses for courses.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived for a year in a Khmer village an hours drive north of Buriram. The plan was to live there and continue to work for NGO's in other countries, but I fell seriously ill and had to retreat to my own country for treatment. 
But that year was the best in my life, and we still have the small house we built, to use when we are there. The dream is to return there when I can retire for good. But as I do no longer have the health required to pursue my former career, I have to work in my own country. So that is retirement plans. But I am glad we just set up a very modest little house there for now.

Anyway I was quite good at activating myself when I was there with various hobbies, an being quite adaptable village life was quite easy with Surin and Buriram within an hours drive, and Korat 2 hours away, it was no problem to go there for a run if things got boring. 
If I won the big lottery I would be back in a heart beat, but for now It's staing in the old country, working and setting asside something extra for retirement. Alltough even with the minimum pension from my country, I should be perfectly okay out there in the sticks ecomic wise.

6 hours ago, mcfish said:

Yep you nailed it. Being a country boy back home surrounded by your own people's is light years away from being one in thaI land where you may as well well be on Mars

No he didnt and neither did you. Some people actually like living in the countryside

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

Presently living on a quiet beach in Phuket which ticks all the boxes.

but my wife wants to live in the 2000 person village where she comes from, which is outside Sara Buri. My problem is the soul sucking heat up there.....even last week it was very very hot, and this is not summer. Arrived back here last night and it was raining and cool, and today was pretty cool with some rain in town, but not at the beach. I am originally from Scotland, so the high dry heat doesn't work for me. Lived for 43 years in SoCal and when it went over 90 I actually would feel ill. So I am in a quandary....to move north and live with my wife, or live separately, and visit occasionally. And please don't tell me to dump the bitch.....you can dump your bitch!

i am not in love with big cities or the flat countryside of rice fields, but enjoy the lush jungle of Phuket. I could move up there and end up bored and hating it...then I have lost my beach house here. Decisions....decisions.......what to do?

Stick with your wife but buy a damn great big air conditioner. This year in rural Khampaeng Phet it touch 45C in the shade a few times. I spent most of my time indoors out of the sun.

I think that the summer temperature gains about 1C every 3 or 4 years. OTOH it was a great 20C at 5.30 this morning, lovely and cool with a small breeze and plenty of fresh air.

Most Farangs living in the sticks are living there, because their wifes want to live there. So it's mostly "a family matter".

- I took an other route:

I decided to live in the sticks by myself. A "No family situation".

The first 2 1/2 Years were quite OK. But then, half of the few fellow Farangs decided to die. The other half decided to flee the "Family Environment". Leaving most of their earthly assets behind.

After almost 5 years, I found that I have been watching the grass grow long enough. So I pulled up stakes. Not wanting to live in a Thai Tourist-Hub, I ended up in my home country  and I only visit Thailand during the winter months.

So, after all this time, with much trial and error, I can say (with conviction),  that finally I live in a perfect world.
Cheers.

I live in the sticks.... in a very small rural village. 

I don't have a Thai partner.  I live here because I love the country life.  I like greenery, trees, wildlife, etc.

I can't drive.  I get about by pushbike.  Ride 40 minutes to the market to get a Songtaew if I want to go into the city. 

I love it.  Been in this area nearly 10 years. 

Happy to live in my house in the middle of a mango and lamyai orchard, take care of my chickens, ducks and other animals... and eat Thai food.  I could not stand city living.. even back in the UK.  I hate being surrounded by thousands of people, concrete, cars and noise. 

Everyone is different. 

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

Most Farangs living in the sticks are living there, because their wifes want to live there. So it's mostly "a family matter".

- I took an other route:

I decided to live in the sticks by myself. A "No family situation".

The first 2 1/2 Years were quite OK. But then, half of the few fellow Farangs decided to die. The other half decided to flee the "Family Environment". Leaving most of their earthly assets behind.

After almost 5 years, I found that I have been watching the grass grow long enough. So I pulled up stakes. Not wanting to live in a Thai Tourist-Hub, I ended up in my home country  and I only visit Thailand during the winter months.

So, after all this time, with much trial and error, I can say (with conviction),  that finally I live in a perfect world.
Cheers.

I understand the family route, I took that road myself.

I've heard guys say it's cheaper up north but all I see as cheaper is rent. Don't see how food and clothing is any cheaper. I know a few guys who don't like their life but can't afford to start over.

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Most !!  :laugh:  come on only ones without many brain cells or no self respect.

Yes much like those mental giants who never stray outside of Pattaya , Phuket and Bangkok because the only pussy they get they have to pay for, they cant speak the language and they would die if they couldnt have a full English for breakfast. Not to mention the overwhelming self respect you must gain from sleeping with hookers and getting on the turps everyday. See how easy it is to generalise?

As I get older, I"m enjoying the solitude. I've run around enough. Still a bit more to do.

In USA, but wife has farmland in NE and we'd like to do hobby farming and raise and sell fish and whatnot. It sounds boring and I'll see if I can do it in the coming years when/if we move there.  We'd have to build a house, but that's not a problem.

We are both happily working in the USA. As long as there's good internet, that's all that's really needed. Have books/eBooks/home theater, plan to have swimming pool (above ground). I think I could transition to that way of life, visit Europe or USA once a year. A new adventure in my ever-changing life.

4 hours ago, starky said:

<snip>. Not to mention the overwhelming self respect you must gain from sleeping with hookers and getting on the turps everyday. See how easy it is to generalise?

One way to get overwhelming self-respect is not to sleep with cheap hookers but to sleep with expensive hookers.

After living in Thailand for over 4 years, having a house in the wonderful Surin countryside and a condo in Pratumnak I know which I prefer. Using the pick-up truck anywhere around Pattaya drives me bonkers so I bought a Fino. Just about gets up Pratumnak hill and is a nifty little bike for getting aroud. The only thing I like there now is the live music bars, a local pub and the swimming pools in my condo. I do enjoy people watching and boy it can be good for a laugh but the thing that really grates is not being able to have a few quiet moments before some hawker is hanging around trying to sell some tacky garbage. If I was a tourist then it wouldn't be so bad but I just want to be left alone. I was there 2 months ago for 2 weeks and couldn't wait to get "home". It's wonderful here but a lot of what makes life in the countryside good depends on the village and the people that live there. I'm fortunate to have a house that stands alone and the village is 200m away so I don't get the noise and smells of village life early in the morning. By smells, I'm talking about burning plastics and Plaa Raa! I'm also just 200m off the main road where Surin and Buriram are less than an hour away. I used to go there quite often for nights out but the last night I spent in either place was christmas last year when my brother was here. I've spent the last few days making quail cages and will start my animal barn soon where I will be raising goats, pigs and a variety of poultry birds for meat and eggs. Life's good.

Anyone want to buy a nice one bed condo with a sea view??

14 hours ago, Mansell said:

Presently living on a quiet beach in Phuket which ticks all the boxes.

but my wife wants to live in the 2000 person village where she comes from, which is outside Sara Buri. My problem is the soul sucking heat up there.....even last week it was very very hot, and this is not summer. Arrived back here last night and it was raining and cool, and today was pretty cool with some rain in town, but not at the beach. I am originally from Scotland, so the high dry heat doesn't work for me. Lived for 43 years in SoCal and when it went over 90 I actually would feel ill. So I am in a quandary....to move north and live with my wife, or live separately, and visit occasionally. And please don't tell me to dump the bitch.....you can dump your bitch!

i am not in love with big cities or the flat countryside of rice fields, but enjoy the lush jungle of Phuket. I could move up there and end up bored and hating it...then I have lost my beach house here. Decisions....decisions.......what to do?

Go with your gut instinct and or wherever you have friends close by........that's how I would decide.....good luck on a big decision.....

21 hours ago, Katipo said:

Living in a rural area in your own (probably developed) country surrounded by people with the same culture and language is very different to moving to a small village in the middle of a semi-developed foreign land where you are likely to be one of the only,  if not the only,  person from your own part of the world.

Do you not think that some people prefer the above quote before deciding to stay, a relocation for some is not impossible.  

I have to disagree your post rings insecurity.

The people around you will almost certainly have a very different world view which will exacerbate your isolation. It is likely that they will have preconceived views of you, will never fully accept you as one of your own, even if you are fluent in the language.

That's nonsense you can make new friends, isolate yourself when you want to and as for never full acceptance again an insecure view.

The vast majority of us require mental and emotional stimulation that can only come from healthy interaction with others.

Disagree again l'm an alien and a very happy one in making my decision. :biggrin:

11 hours ago, starky said:

Yes much like those mental giants who never stray outside of Pattaya , Phuket and Bangkok because the only pussy they get they have to pay for, they cant speak the language and they would die if they couldnt have a full English for breakfast. Not to mention the overwhelming self respect you must gain from sleeping with hookers and getting on the turps everyday. See how easy it is to generalise?

l refer to post some pages ago   " Explain Why " 

Simple really,  my choice, my preference, countryside & jungle as opposed to a concrete jungle.

Never understood people who like living in cities but Ok that's their choice. 

One way to get overwhelming self-respect is not to sleep with cheap hookers but to sleep with expensive hookers.

2 go go girls will give you as much respect as you tell them to. It ain't cheap but beats the hell out of a nagging wife!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, starky said:

Be nice, these guys might indirectly support a dozen families in ur village.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Do you not think that some people prefer the above quote before deciding to stay, a relocation for some is not impossible.  

That's nonsense you can make new friends, isolate yourself when you want to and as for never full acceptance again an insecure view.

Disagree again l'm an alien and a very happy one in making my decision. :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply Kwasaki. I wouldn't say my post rings of insecurity, as that is perhaps a fear which prevents one doing something. I am saying that if one was to cut oneself off from everything that is familiar to live in a place that is unfamiliar, a place that despite ones best efforts one will never fit in and always been seen as an outsider, then one might find this increasingly difficult over time.

Of course we can make new friends, but it is easier to make good friends if we have something in common with them. Farmer Somchai who has never left his hometown and whose worldview may be somewhat limited,will probably not provide the sort of engagement a western person needs, at least not 100% of the time.

In my experience, even those who do consider themselves an fully integrated into Thai society, will sometimes seek the companionship from other foreigners with whom they have more in common. Again, this is not insecurity or fear.

Of course we can point out exceptions, but I think you'll find that the vast majority, perhaps 99% or more, will largely fir under the umbrella I have outlined here.

FYI, I grew up in a country with a small population, in a relatively isolated town. Here in Thailand I have lived in Bangkok, but I upped and moved to a not large provincial capital that would probably have more or less about 100 westerners living in it. 

1 minute ago, Katipo said:

Thanks for your reply Kwasaki. I wouldn't say my post rings of insecurity, as that is perhaps a fear which prevents one doing something. I am saying that if one was to cut oneself off from everything that is familiar to live in a place that is unfamiliar, a place that despite ones best efforts one will never fit in and always been seen as an outsider, then one might find this increasingly difficult over time.

Of course we can make new friends, but it is easier to make good friends if we have something in common with them. Farmer Somchai who has never left his hometown and whose worldview may be somewhat limited,will probably not provide the sort of engagement a western person needs, at least not 100% of the time.

In my experience, even those who do consider themselves an fully integrated into Thai society, will sometimes seek the companionship from other foreigners with whom they have more in common. Again, this is not insecurity or fear.

Of course we can point out exceptions, but I think you'll find that the vast majority, perhaps 99% or more, will largely fir under the umbrella I have outlined here.

FYI, I grew up in a country with a small population, in a relatively isolated town. Here in Thailand I have lived in Bangkok, but I upped and moved to a not large provincial capital that would probably have more or less about 100 westerners living in it. 

I am NOW happy I am the only farang in my world....:intheclub:

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Moved from Samui to a small fishing village on the mainland. Renting a nice house on the beach, 100 km to Suratthani, 100 km to N.S.Thammarat, 30 km to the next Tesco. Plenty of rural markets with fresh fish, meat, poultry, veggies and fruits.

We are happy here and wouldn't want go back to busy Samui.

On 11/24/2016 at 0:23 AM, thehelmsman said:

I understand the family route, I took that road myself.

I've heard guys say it's cheaper up north but all I see as cheaper is rent. Don't see how food and clothing is any cheaper. I know a few guys who don't like their life but can't afford to start over.

70 to 80 baht for a large Leo in a bar or caff, compared .to the same for a small one in Pattaya.and 100 to 160 in Bangkok. Not completely comparing eggs with eggs admittedly and of course broad brushstroke prices. Food can be cheaper, especially eating out.

Not enough to warrant upping sticks for agreed, but I live in a town that is not that small with plenty of bars, supermarkets, hospitals etc, close enough for fairly regular visits to my favourite spots in the above places and enough farang here to enjoy a bit of a social life with. Lived long enough in downtown Pattaya - that was fine as was living on the dark side. Here is fine too so perhaps I am just easily pleased. Don't think I would be too keen on being 30/40 k's outside but plenty of others are. Each to our own.

On 11/23/2016 at 3:08 PM, Katipo said:

I would say most foreigners who live in the sticks don't really do it out of choice, but rather because their wife/gf wants to be near her family, and you need her if you want to have a place to call your 'own'.

yeah...that's pretty much my scenario...I expected when I married my wife that would be what I would be lookin' at...

before we were married we lived in Abu Dhabi and rarely discussed future living arrangements...we were pretty much just (ahem) enjoying each other's company...but she brought me back to her family place to show me around at the first opportunity so I knew what to expect, small town about 12000 pop......just goin' down the market to shop for vegetables can sometimes be a psychedelic experience so there's no end to the possibilities...otherwise I'm pretty much self contained with books, films and the internet...

things have worked out well as I been workin' and we've always had enough money to do whatever we liked...we had a funeral earlier this year and as I helped to shoulder to coffin into the furnace I had the opportunity to see up close the place where I'll be incinerated...

6 hours ago, jerojero said:

Maybe some of us were born and raised in the sticks (rural) in our home countries. That experience sticks with you, pun intended.

Though I was born and raised in a small town in the UK and now I live in rural Thailand on about 15 rai with my Thai wife and son. I am quite comfortable with it and bought  more land where we are now.

My wife is happy here and my real disappointment will come in a few years when our son leaves home to go on to Uni and his own life. There are no real jobs for him out here but this will always be his home.

I left home and my Mum at 15 (my Dad died about 9 months before) and I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant so I know what he will be going through and I will be going through the same thing as my Mum did,

After my last experience living in a Thai village i have told my current girl never again,if we end up building a house it will be [ideally],set back from the road,between her village and the Local town[Wichianburi,in Phetchabun province] were i live at present,and not have nieghbours to close,the incessant noise before,from ,funerals,weddings,becoming monks,new year,song kran  was unbearable,here in town i live in a very quite soi,empty block one side,elderly people on the other and opposite,am renting,Wichianburi is a small enough town,but big enough too if you know what i mean,couple of ex pat bars,swimming pool at the hotel,and a mate of mine has just opened a gym which is fantastic,keeps me out of the bar,will build something next year ,2/3 k out from town,if it works out with the girl,all good so far after 8 months,though i have been away for work for a while,a lot of expats here,but it's a pretty nice relaxed place,just really hot in march thru early june.

Cheap, trapped, sociopath, country boy at heart - there are many reasons - as a Farang in the sticks you'll always be somebody, whereas outside you'll be a nobody. especially in your home country. Boredom must be a big problem. I played with this idea, the cheapness appealed to me, soon got over that, it was just so boring. 

13 hours ago, nausea said:

Cheap, trapped, sociopath, country boy at heart - there are many reasons - as a Farang in the sticks you'll always be somebody, whereas outside you'll be a nobody. especially in your home country. Boredom must be a big problem. I played with this idea, the cheapness appealed to me, soon got over that, it was just so boring. 

It takes all sorts of people in all sorts of ways.

Here in rural Thailand I am the same somebody that I would be elsewhere, or not.

I am not cheap, nor trapped, nor a sociopath though I am probably a country boy at heart

I truly wish at times that I had the time to be bored. I have enough things to do about the house and land, on my computer that I dont get the time to be bored.

There are so many things to do. I am relearning the art of cooking. I bake my own bread and rolls, make my own ham, bacon sausages etc, I make cakes, biscuits and a lot of other foods for myself, wife, son, friends etc.

I am slowly categorising 160 Gb of Ebooks and at about 1 1/2 hours a day will take about 9 months or so.

Boredom is a state of mind. It really doesnt matter where you live or if you are rich or poor.

If you are bored then find something to do.

Learn to cook, take an online university course, grow organic food, learn how to para-glide, take up sailing or fishing, buy a racing motorbike and learn to ride it professionally. Learn how to write computer games or even become an author. Explore the internet. Read books. The possibilities are endless and only limited to yourself.

If you want to  be bored, you will be and if you dont then you wont be.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you are bored then find something to do.

If you want to  be bored, you will be and if you don't then you wont be.

Hear- hear or stay away from balcony's.

My Ma use to say can't be bothered will be made to bother.  :biggrin:

Archived