Opening a bank account on a tourist visa

Sorry for posting again. But I've been in contact with SCB, Krungthai and Bangkok bank. The first two said no but Bangkok bank said yes but need a criminal record check from my embassy (UK) and a guarantee, don't know who from. 

Should I just keep walking into banks or go ahead with what Bangkok bank asks?

The bank asks for a criminal record check. That's strange. Last time I checked the owners of banks were criminals. 

Ask a few other banks if you like, they might not ask for it. Worst case scenario, you get the record check from the embassy and open one at bkk bank. 

21 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

The bank asks for a criminal record check. That's strange. Last time I checked the owners of banks were criminals. 

Ask a few other banks if you like, they might not ask for it. Worst case scenario, you get the record check from the embassy and open one at bkk bank. 

Seems odd I know. I'll ask around some more.

How do I get a check from the embassy, just ask them? I've done hours of research today, the embassy and gov websites being no help. Best option I found was disclosure Scotland.

You need to keep trying. Bangkok Bank have their requirements on the internet. There is no requirement for a criminal record check.

The easiest way is to find a Thai person who banks with them to accompany you to the bank. Either that or get your bank in your home country to send them a SWIFT message saying you have an account in good standing.

Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 A letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization
        • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

Often banks (or any organization) aren't aware of company policy. Rather than loose face because they aren't aware, will just make something up when placed on the spot and inform you with a confident smile.

Bangkok bank has always posted its procedure on its website and although it has changed the page now, before they claimed to welcome tourists.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

Print off the webpage and take with you, as stated, you need one of the requirements and be polite but firm.

ETS: I have been beaten to it with the above post, which contains all the info and good advice.

Edited by recom273

Dittto to recom273's recommendation.   And print off the info in English and Thai.   Don't be surprised if they still insist on a Certificate of Residence which based on numerous posts I've seen over the last year seems to be becoming a more common request especially for folks on a tourist visa.

Here is my experience.

I opened a bank account on tourist visa in September this year in Kasikornbank at Exchange Tower. They required passport and 12-month apartment lease contract. Before dropping by Kasikorn I went to Bangkok Bank at Exchange Tower. I had the same documents plus reference letter from a bank from my home country. They mentioned that they cannot verify its legitimacy and since two years ago they have been requiring some paper from embassy (maybe it was Certificate of Residence..).

I have Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank as a Tourist.

You have to try many branches until you find one that will accept you.

It may be better to try in areas where a lot of Foreigners are living because they are used to it.

Edited by alexlm

Go to immigration get a certificate of residence then go to Bkk bank on beach road between soi 13/2 and 13/3 twds walking st from 13/2 just past royal garden plaza. PM me if you are going will give you name of contact there he's a good lad  you will get one opened there no problem.

Edited by Deepinthailand

You will get better results dealing with the bank Mgr. and if you are in Bangkok, over the many years I found the Nana banks are more open to opening accounts with a tourist visa.

Tell the rep you plan on getting a work visa for a better result.

You have one bank account, so wire in some money and take that savings book with you and that might show that you are motivated and plan on getting an extension of stay.

Be sure to get an ATM card that can be used Internationally linked to the saving accounts and apply for a credit card with Bangkok Bank.  Understand you have make a deposit into the credit card account and can't get the money back for 4 months after filling out a withdrawal form. 

Don't let them slip in a accident insurance premium on the atm savings account as it is useless with very low limits and has age requirements.

Most bank clerks have no idea what they are talking about!  Much of the time it is a translation problem.  There are more English speakers in the Nana banks.

I tried opening an account in sisaket twice in 2 separate banks and one stated I needed a marriage certificate and another stated I needed to a permanent resident . As posted above the requirements from one of the banks doesn't ask for either . As stated above in another post , a lot of branches of banks don't even know their own requirements half the time . 

Try 2 different Bangkok banks in 2 different towns and you will get told 2 different things .

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

You need to keep trying. Bangkok Bank have their requirements on the internet. There is no requirement for a criminal record check.

The easiest way is to find a Thai person who banks with them to accompany you to the bank. Either that or get your bank in your home country to send them a SWIFT message saying you have an account in good standing.

• An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

I went to the main office in Bkk with my embassy affidavit of income and proof of residence, i.e. my rental agreement... passport, of course. No trouble opening an account there, whereas I had been refused at a couple of branch offices.

I tried Kasikorn at a few branches and they wanted a work permit, decided to try Bangkok Bank and at the 3rd branch succeeded.

I was on a tourist visa and only needed my passport and a small deposit ( 10,000 baht I think)

I succeeded at Future Park Rangsit branch.

My advice would be just keep trying different branches, Bangkok Bank worked for me, I have a savings account with an ATM card.

8 hours ago, HampiK said:

Or try some banks in bigger shopping centers. There is a good chance that you can find a branch which will open one for you without much hassle....

Agreed.  Go to the mall banks.  Seen many successes there when others failed.  Also you can hit 5 banks in 1 stop.

6 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Agreed.  Go to the mall banks.  Seen many successes there when others failed.  Also you can hit 5 banks in 1 stop.

Tried all the banks in central mall Pattaya with a friend last Monday, no go not one went to BKK bank on beach road as stated in my post above with cert of residence no problem.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Tried all the banks in central mall Pattaya with a friend last Monday, no go not one went to BKK bank on beach road as stated in my post above with cert of residence no problem.

Do you get that from your countries embassy? My Thai address and condo lease? 

9 minutes ago, Ryan93 said:

Do you get that from your countries embassy? My Thai address and condo lease? 

No go down to jontiem immigration you get it from there you need a medical cert easy to get from most if not all doctors v cheap they usualy just fill it in without checking you. tell them it's for a car licence. when you fill the form in put for car licence or the checkers on front desk will tell you they don't do one for banks. They do when you get to counter 11 I belive tell the lady you want a cert of residence to open a bank account she will do it for you. cost my mate 300 bht. passport copies copies of your condo lease if you have a girlfriend /wife take her along a lot easier to explain things.

I belive there are forms on here you can download. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I was given at the Bangkok bank in Silom rd last week,  I went to the British embassy and was told to make an appointment online.

I thought this is a bit of a rigmarole just to open a bank account so I thought we will have something to eat and a beer and go home and think about it.

Later at home I went to the british embassies website and found out it was going to cost £100 or £150 for this reference and thought i'm not giving them that much money for what appears to be very little, I thought better have another beer and think about it some more.

I read the printout above again i'm not receiving pension funds from abroad so I ruled out that option, getting my home bank to send a swift message to Bangkok bank i'm not sure how to do this but will not rule it out.

The next line person acceptable to Bangkok bank eg branch officer don't know any branch managers, customer aha I know a customer my missus, so I get the missus to write a letter of reference, have another beer and go to bed.

The next morning we woke up had breakfast and armed with my passport with a tourist visa, the letter of reference from my missus, the print out I got given at the Bangkok bank in silom rd and the missus who had her thai and uk passports, thai id and Bangkok bank passbook we left for the local Bangkok bank in saphan mai.

You have to have patience they will tell you that it isn't possible, but be polite and insist it is their banks policy and you don't need a letter from your embassy if you have a reference from a Bangkok bank customer, they may try and tell you that they need someone high up to give you a reference this is where the missus politely told them that she has lived in the uk for nearly 30 years and has run a business there how high does she have to be, apart from the uk passport and her preference in filling forms out in English instead of thai they asked for no proof of this.

The lady who was dealing with us went to see the manager who came back out with her and welcomed me and all of a sudden we were filling out forms, the whole process took around an hour and I know have a bank account with the Bangkok bank and an atm card, it was relatively painless and there wasn't any need for an early beer.

On a side note I chose the Bangkok bank over others because of the ease and low cost of transferring relatively larger amounts via the Bangkok bank in London.

On 11/23/2016 at 8:03 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I tried Kasikorn at a few branches and they wanted a work permit, decided to try Bangkok Bank and at the 3rd branch succeeded.

I was on a tourist visa and only needed my passport and a small deposit ( 10,000 baht I think)

I succeeded at Future Park Rangsit branch.

My advice would be just keep trying different branches, Bangkok Bank worked for me, I have a savings account with an ATM card.

What did you use for your Thai address when you applied? Or didn't they require one?

I'm planning to visit Thailand for a few months and would like to bring cash and open an account while there. But will be staying at hotels while there on this initial trip.

(Then return to USA, close out there, return to Thailand on a 1 yr retirement visa).

Edited by JimmyJ

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What did you use for your Thai address when you applied? Or didn't they require one?

I'm planning to visit Thailand for a few months and would like to bring cash and open an account while there. But will be staying at hotels while there on this initial trip.

(Then return to USA, close out there, return to Thailand on a 1 yr retirement visa).

As has been said try and try again pattaya is easier with a cert of residence you can get one if you are in hotel ask hotel reception for a letter confirming you are  staying  there. beach road branch BKK bank will give you one no problem with the cert of residence