Snow falls in November in Tokyo for first time in 54 years

webfact

Snow falls in November in Tokyo for first time in 54 years

TOKYO (AP) — Tokyo residents woke up Thursday to the first November snowfall in more than 50 years.

An unusually cold air mass brought wet snow to Japan's capital. Above-freezing temperatures kept the snow from sticking in most places, though it did accumulate on sidewalks and cars in Tokyo's far western suburbs.

Meteorologists forecast up to 2 centimeters (1 inch) would fall, and more in the mountains northwest of Tokyo.

The snow caused minor train delays during the morning commute.

The last time it snowed in central Tokyo in November was 1962.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-24

Indeed. But that's why it's more accurately called climate change, which predicts both a general warming trend and greater extremes of heat/cold, rain/drought, and severe weather. Just check the climate anomaly tables published regularly by the Japan Meteorological Agency: getting warmer but also getting weirder.

4 minutes ago, Roota said:

Indeed. But that's why it's more accurately called climate change, which predicts both a general warming trend and greater extremes of heat/cold, rain/drought, and severe weather. Just check the climate anomaly tables published regularly by the Japan Meteorological Agency: getting warmer but also getting weirder.

First "Global Warming."  Then "Climate change." Attempting to manipulate the language to match the weather conditions in order to fear monger.  Palaeoclimatological records show climatic swings are the earth's atmosphere's normal change in response to the cyclical sun cycles.  There ain't nothing new here at all other than a group of already rich individuals attempting to harvest more of the human population's wealth in the form of 'carbon trading' and carbon austerity measures for the masses in the name of climate change.   And bought and paid for climatologists present 'facts' that only show a portion of the historical palaeoclimatological records in order to present a sub-set of data that will 'prove' their assertions, but when the full data set is provided those assertions don't hold water. 

7 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Obviously Global Warming.

A profound misunderstanding of the issue  

Just because days might get longer it does mean that night will not come

Global warming should increase moisture in the air increasing occurrences such as these.

one of the outcomes of the oceans warming is increased moisture in the atmosphere. that leads to all kinds of weather weirdness we haven't experienced. mankind has enjoyed an unusually stable and mild climate for the last 35000 years. that's gonna change, and you cant just blame industry or other human endeavor for this impending change. im curious, what caused all the wild fluctuations in weather prior to mans ascendance? dinosaur farts? volcanoes? solar flares? I think we will have cataclysm after cataclysm here on out.

On 11/24/2016 at 6:36 PM, sirineou said:

Global warming should increase moisture in the air increasing occurrences such as these.

i think most people will agree that climate change occurs. the argument is about cause and climate change was occuring long before man came on the scene. when i was in school in the early 60s we were being told that scientists were predicting a new ice age within 500 to 1000 years

On 11/25/2016 at 8:34 AM, lungnorm said:

This should set the Global Warming theory back a a century or two.

Nothing can set Global Warming theory back -- it is bulletproof (or unfalsifiable, as logicians put it).

Hot, cold, wet, dry, calm, windy, more snow, less snow, migrating birds, non-migrating birds, are all taken as "consistent with what we expect from global warming".

They might just as well be saying: "I have tiny, invisible unicorns living in my ears.  Unfortunately, these cannot be detected by any kind of scientific equipment."

The classic example (out of thousands) was the declaration in 2000 by Dr David Viner – Senior scientist, climatic research unit (CRU): "Children just aren’t going to know what snow is.

He was speaking about the UK, which then went on to have a series of the snowiest winters since the 19th-century Little Ice Age. Then, we were told that this was  "consistent" and "what we could expect more of" with global warming.

Bring back the Tooth Fairy; at least she gets it right some of the time.

16 hours ago, yardrunner said:

i think most people will agree that climate change occurs. the argument is about cause and climate change was occuring long before man came on the scene. when i was in school in the early 60s we were being told that scientists were predicting a new ice age within 500 to 1000 years

Nothing I said in this thread attempts to confirm or discredit your assertion, simply to suggest that  global warming could contribute to more snowfall.Who or what causes it is a discussion for another thread IMO.

On 11/24/2016 at 0:36 PM, sirineou said:

Yes. The only problem with global warming is that it doesn't exist.