The shambassador's reception: tycoons are spoiling Nigel Farage

webfact

The shambassador's reception: tycoons are spoiling Nigel Farage

Robert Booth

The Guardian

Ukip figurehead feted with pyramids of Ferrero Rocher at the Ritz after political year he could describe as eccellente

He has had, by any measure, a barnstorming year. And on Wednesday night, guests arriving at a party thrown in Nigel Farage’s honour at the Ritz were greeted by pyramids of Ferrero Rocher chocolates in a joking reference to Donald Trump’s eyebrow-raising proposal that the Ukip leader should become Britain’s ambassador to the US.

Farage’s allies, including the Barclay brothers, who own the Ritz and the Telegraph newspaper, and Arron Banks, who spent £7.5m on the Leave.EU campaign, threw the reception for 120 guests to mark a year that has seen Farage help secure Brexit and become one of the first politicians to be granted an audience with the US president-elect.

Over English sparkling wine supplied from Lord Ashcroft’s Gusbourne winery in Kent and canapes of coronation chicken and roast beef, Farage’s achievements were celebrated by a crowd that included Tory Eurosceptic MP Jacob Rees-Mogg and John Mills, the businessman and Labour donor.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/23/the-shambassadors-reception-tycoons-are-spoiling-nigel-farage

-- The Guardian 2016-11-24

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Farage’s allies, including the Barclay brothers, who own the Ritz and the Telegraph newspaper, and Arron Banks, who spent £7.5m on the Leave.EU campaign, threw the reception for 120 guests to mark a year that has seen Farage help secure Brexit and become one of the first politicians to be granted an audience with the US president-elect.

Over English sparkling wine supplied from Lord Ashcroft’s Gusbourne winery in Kent and canapes of coronation chicken and roast beef, Farage’s achievements were celebrated by a crowd that included Tory Eurosceptic MP Jacob Rees-Mogg and John Mills, the businessman and Labour donor.

Farage - a man of the people, just not the little people.

15 minutes ago, connda said:

A man of the little people dressed as an Oxford elite.

Ah the politics of envy. I'd rather be led by someone with brains ex Oxford than by an ignoramus from Gas Street Secondary Modern.

Edited by jesimps

Just now, jesimps said:

You don't have to be poor to be a man of the people. Name me one popular leader who wasn't rich or titled. It's the cause he stands for that counts.

I don't say that he should be dressed in sackcloth and ashes; I am saying that his and UKIP's facade of supporting the common man was exactly that - a facade. All along he was doing the bidding of his masters, the weirdo Barclay brothers, Murdoch etc.

3 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

UKIP has successfully relegated the U.K. from being a part of something big to an island off the coast of France

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

That is just the start - they have precipitated the end of the UK itself. In a few years or so, they will need to rebrand themselves EIP.

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

You don't have to be poor to be a man of the people. Name me one popular leader who wasn't rich or titled. It's the cause he stands for that counts.

In the end, people have a habit of judging people by their actions and the friends they keep  rather than their words. 

On 11/24/2016 at 11:07 PM, timbothaivisa said:

why is TV regurgitating political agenda BS from overseas?

Because this part of the forum is for those of us who wish to take our head out of the bucket and keep abreast of world current affairs. There are many many other places for you to stalk on this forum. Off you go and leave us to the purpose of this appropriately titled sub-forum

On 11/24/2016 at 5:17 PM, lemonjelly said:

UKIP has successfully relegated the U.K. from being a part of something big to an island off the coast of France

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

:lol:

Let's wait and see.

You may well be right - although the UK is not at the moment seen as an island of the coast of France (....) it may be in the future.

At the moment its all 'up in the air' as to the eventual outcome.

Edit - Actually NO!  The UK may be seen as a small island near Germany in the future - but France too will be a small irrelevance.

Edited by dick dasterdly

On 11/26/2016 at 1:05 PM, rott said:

Come on Mike do tell please.

I got the facts from this site, I know the site is bias. But hey, you got to look at the dirt put out by both sides to have a fair judgement. I didn't have time to dig deeper on how true the facts outlined are, but its enough for some concern. I think most of Sanders supporters do not know about Sanders past since he was no longer a front runner.

http://www.thepeoplesview.net/main/2016/5/19/this-ends-now-the-bernie-sanders-opposition-research-the-media-refuses-to-release

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2016 at 5:22 PM, RuamRudy said:

That is just the start - they have precipitated the end of the UK itself. In a few years or so, they will need to rebrand themselves EIP.

ARE YOU BLIND?

Brexit is the spark which will set fire to the unsustainable EU. Italy will be the next to leave, which will make the fire unmanageable .

Federal Europe is a farce, ver,y expensive and undemocratic. The Euro is a disaster, with Germany being the main beneficiary , at the expense of poorer countries.

Independent UK will have a much better chance. Germany will shortly have civil war as they deal with the barbarian invaders.

7 hours ago, thaiturkey said:

ARE YOU BLIND?

Brexit is the spark which will set fire to the unsustainable EU. Italy will be the next to leave, which will make the fire unmanageable .

Federal Europe is a farce, ver,y expensive and undemocratic. The Euro is a disaster, with Germany being the main beneficiary , at the expense of poorer countries.

Independent UK will have a much better chance. Germany will shortly have civil war as they deal with the barbarian invaders.

Germany rather PAYS for everything and everyone, not being the main beneficiary

46 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Germany rather PAYS for everything and everyone, not being the main beneficiary

GERMAN EXPORTS ARE BOOMING, because the Euro is much cheaper than the former Deutsche Mark.  They should pick up the bill!   Their banks have also caused big problems in countries like Ireland, financing "Bubble Economies"  Italian and French industries have been severely damaged by cheap German exports, just 2 of many examples