ThaiHealth mulls ways to reduce number of new drinkers

webfact

ThaiHealth mulls ways to reduce number of new drinkers

BANGKOK, 24 November 2016 (NNT) – The Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) has held a meeting to seek plans to lower the number of new drinkers after reports suggested that alcohol sales remain rampant around educational institutes. 

Public Health Minister Dr Piyasakol Sakolsadhyadorn presided over the 9th National Alcohol Conference, which came under the concept of joining forces to protect children and youth from the dangers of drinking. Organized by ThaiHealth, the event served as a platform for concerned officials to exchange opinions and brainstorm measures for preventing more youngsters from experimenting with alcohol. 

Based on a survey that was conducted on 15 universities across the country, sales of alcoholic beverages were still found in their surrounding areas. Drinking among secondary school students was also said to be on the rise. 

Among the suggestions made at the meeting were an absolute ban on drinking for youths aged under 20, a ban on all forms of advertisements and sales of alcohol near schools and periodic increases of alcohol tax to discourage young drinkers. 

Dr Piyasakol affirmed the government is paying great attention to the problem of underage drinking and is cooperating with related units to address it, claiming the habit is the starting point of addiction.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-11-25

" periodic increases of alcohol tax to discourage young drinkers."

So punish all drinkers to discourage young drinkers???

Here's a better idea - reduce young drinkers by legalizing weed. It would probably be more effective than the above idea!

1 minute ago, jonclark said:

" periodic increases of alcohol tax to discourage young drinkers."

So punish all drinkers to discourage young drinkers???

Here's a better idea - reduce young drinkers by legalizing weed. It would probably be more effective than the above idea!

I'm with you on legalizing the weed.

But higher taxes on a product that causes untold misery and costs society $$ billions in lost lives, broken families and health problems is hardly a punishment.  Like with cigarette taxes, the higher cost of the product is just a reflection of the actual cost to society.  I just wish they'd put the tax money into rehabilitation and health care.

11 minutes ago, trogers said:

Easy. All that is needed is breath analysers at entrances to education institutions...

I am not sure they are talking about people drinking whilst getting educated.

I am pretty sure it is more about their drinking habits away from the classroom.

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm with you on legalizing the weed.

But higher taxes on a product that causes untold misery and costs society $$ billions in lost lives, broken families and health problems is hardly a punishment.  Like with cigarette taxes, the higher cost of the product is just a reflection of the actual cost to society.  I just wish they'd put the tax money into rehabilitation and health care.

You are right with the broken families / cost to society.

The theory on taxation is very sound, as a  theory.  But do higher taxes on alcohol actually reduce the numbers of young drinkers? Or will 18 / 19 years old still find the money somehow to go out on the town with their friends (beg / borrow / steal).  When has telling an 18 year to not do something, result in that 18 year not doing it? 

Surely education on responsible drinking, knowing limits, effects etc would be a better policy than enforced abstinence? 

There is as well that pessimistic argument that governments don't want to raise taxes too much  (and possibly discourage too much)  as they need that high volumes of tax revenue from the huge volumes of alcohol sales to balance the books.

Governments all over the world love to think that higher taxes will discourage people from doing something.  I wonder why that is the first solution they think of?   Discourage people from clogging the roads, increase petrol taxes, discourage smoking, increase the tax on cigarettes (although to be fair they do try other methods as well),  discourage drinking alcohol, put up taxes.discourage large families, cancel child tax allowances etc etc.  None of these measures affect the rich of course which, in their eyes, is also a benefit.

In the UK Houses of Parliament, where all the Members of parliament supposedly work for the benefit of their constituents (and also themselves of course), I understand that the many bars in there all serve drinks at reduced prices, so that the M.P's are wlll oiled when thery make important decisions affecting the country. 

37 minutes ago, Kru Baa said:

How about not driving everyone to drink with their stupidity?

You have hit the nail on the head. Same reason why hell hole USA has always had an unhealthy addicction problem for nearly 100 years spanningball races and classes. Pure desperation lead people to seek oblivion at any cost because daily  life is desperate humiliation and $hit without end. No justice-no peace of mind! 

I think the men will always like a drink, but you could brainwash the women a bit more. I've heard a few ladies here say "I don't drink alcohol. It's not polite. Not good in my culture". To which I've asked "Not good according to whom? Men?"

I have abolsutely nothing against a woman who doesn't drink, but it would certainly be a deal breaker if we were to date. If you don't want drink, up to you. But do if for no other reason than 'you' don't want to do it. 

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I think the men will always like a drink, but you could brainwash the women a bit more. I've heard a few ladies here say "I don't drink alcohol. It's not polite. Not good in my culture". To which I've asked "Not good according to whom? Men?"

I have abolsutely nothing against a woman who doesn't drink, but it would certainly be a deal breaker if we were to date. If you don't want drink, up to you. But do if for no other reason than 'you' don't want to do it. 

never had a bargirl turn down a drink. thought drinking for a living was their culture.

Most Universities I know have some bar right in the University. Frat Parties are common at these places and ages. Most University Students out grow that.

So I think they are worried way too much over nothing. Moving the Bars father away only makes for more dangerous driving when they have to drive back from the Bar to there Student Compound. 

Drinking, smoking will never be curb by punishments or higher taxes. Singapore is one of the most expensive city to do all that n yet people still drink n smoke all the time.

And with the boom and accessibilty of the internet and social media, it will be even harder to do so. 

Even students from rich and good family background are drinking and smoking everyday from my observation around where i lived.

The 15 yr old young son of my staff who is not so rich also drinks and smoke everyday by pooling whatever money he has with his friends for a good time.

So how?

I've always wondered why Thailand doesn't produce a 1/2 strength beer like many states do in the US. It was originally designed to ease college kids into the drinking world of adults because they knew there was no way to prevent them from drinking. There are clubs for the 18-20 crowd with all the entertainment value of the 21+ clubs, complete with security, bouncers, DJs, live bands, etc.

Seems to me that it would create quite a profitable enterprise for the Thai breweries to cater to a whole new clientele. It's obvious that they're not going to stop the new drinkers so why not work on easing them into it and educating them?

Could start in Bangkok with RCA and RCA Lite. :smile:

I'm thinking the cheap hong thong whiskey is a major problem.... moreso than beer.... but I haven't really followed the consumption types, if it's even been actually recorded.

but, as I said earlier... enforcing the law would be a good way to start reducing underage drinking and selling near schools.... the mechanism is already in place, but not used... or used selectively

problem is, to enforce the law, they have to root out the bribery and corruption first.

???

Lol... and they are in a prime place to be educated in... at school... another failure, yet the country wants to become a hub for education :cheesy:

and its not a case of banning... its a case of enforcement of laws... retailers ignoring bans... underage drinking with no consequence etc etc... these acts of enforcement, will educate the kiddies, if fines etc are attached, which hit the pocket... no money no honey.

Edited by farcanell