Baht depreciation expected

On 4/9/2018 at 6:30 AM, simoh1490 said:

On 4/9/2018 at 11:52 AM, jerry921 said:

Thanks, that seasonality is good to know. Makes late May the best time to move big sums to Thailand to fund 800K Baht retirement extension accounts or condo purchases (lacking a reliable crystal ball, these kinds of observations are the only thing that helps to beat random luck).

Yeah, it's already starting with that weak THB. SCB offered me 29,80 for a dollar today :sleep:

On 11/26/2016 at 1:02 PM, OJAS said:

Sounds to me more like a case of the USD rising against all other currencies rather than an across-the-board fall in the THB's value.

Regardless of whether or not the Fed decide to increase US interest rates, the jolly old GBP will doubtless still continue on its downward plunge towards parity with the THB in the run-up to Brexit.:sad:

How would that effect the Euro?

20 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

Yeah, it's already starting with that weak THB. SCB offered me 29,80 for a dollar today :sleep:

Unless you came with 1 dollar notes, I suggest you look for another bank. Most exchanges give you the export rate.

image.png.0044a4af01e23b0ade6d595dffcce4ac.png

• Like 1

On 11/26/2016 at 7:34 AM, NeverSure said:

The US is in the slowest recovery from recession since WWII. Never in the past 8 years has GDP increased by even 3%. There are way too many Americans out of the workforce and way too many receiving welfare and food stamps. The extremely long time that interest rates have been at historic lows is a strong indicator of those. That's not just interest on the Fed's T Bill rate but interest rates on home and car loans, etc. These low rates were meant to stimulate borrowing and spending.

I have no idea how the Fed can raise interest rates in this environment. Time will tell.

Cheers.

And the so called leaders like to brag about how well the economy is doing. Though the stock market is high, and real estate is astronomical, consumer confidence is way, way down. Don't believe the hype. I know alot of retailers. Biz is poor. Perhaps too much instability from the circus huckster, deflector in chief? 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 11:38 PM, janclaes47 said:

Unless you came with 1 dollar notes, I suggest you look for another bank. Most exchanges give you the export rate.

image.png.0044a4af01e23b0ade6d595dffcce4ac.png

Actually, they don’t give the export rate for exchanging “notes”.  You can see right there in screenshot you posted.

Just now, Airalee said:

Actually, they don’t give the export rate for exchanging “notes”.  You can see right there in screenshot you posted.

That is a screenshot from Kasikorn bank, maybe you can educate yourself and know the difference between money exchangers, which I said will give you the export rate.

42 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

That is a screenshot from Kasikorn bank, maybe you can educate yourself and know the difference between money exchangers, which I said will give you the export rate.

I do know the difference, which is why I exchange $100 bills at superrich.  However, the poster that you replied to was using a bank and your retort should have included a screenshot from superrich rather than a bank to support your argument.  Instead of suggesting that he “find a different bank”, why didn’t you suggest superrich?

Just now, Airalee said:

I do know the difference, which is why I exchange $100 bills at superrich.  However, the poster that you replied to was using a bank and your retort should have included a screenshot from superrich rather than a bank to support your argument.  Instead of suggesting that he “find a different bank”, why didn’t you suggest superrich?

Read my post again.

First of all, other banks gave on the very same day a much better note rate than he got.

That's the first reason for the screenshot, to prove that other banks had a better note rate

I also mentioned that exchanges will give you the export rate, superrich is not the only one that gives good rates, and there probably isn't even a legit superrich in his location if he is not in Bangkok. So posting a screenshot from superrich would probably have been a waste of space.

That was the second reason for the screenshot from Kasikorn, to show which the export rate is, and which is applied by most of the better exchanges.

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Read my post again.

First of all, other banks gave on the very same day a much better note rate than he got.

That's the first reason for the screenshot, to prove that other banks had a better note rate

I also mentioned that exchanges will give you the export rate, superrich is not the only one that gives good rates, and there probably isn't even a legit superrich in his location if he is not in Bangkok. So posting a screenshot from superrich would probably have been a waste of space.

That was the second reason for the screenshot from Kasikorn, to show which the export rate is, and which is applied by most of the better exchanges.

Well, your post wasn’t very clear.  No need for passive aggressive personal attacks.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 7:10 AM, DonaldBattles said:

If you have ever lived in the Philippines you can understand why. They are lazy and politically motivated by communist. It will never get any better. What kind of a country is it if they can't feed themselves?

That's ridiculous! Lazy? Most of the land is hand farmed by people working all day in the hot sun for 100 - 200 Peso. The problem is climate and available rice producing land, coupled with a huge population (now well over 100 million). They eat a lot more rice than Thai people too. By climate, I'm talking about small tropical islands hammered by more typhoons, tropical storms and floods than anywhere else on the planet. Most of the land is not well suited for rice farming even though they are trying to produce rice on it. I've been running rice land in the Philippines for 11 years (we bought it for the wife's family). I can't remember a single harvest that wasn't negatively affected by the weather. Too much rain, flooding, typhoons... it never ends. It took 2 years to recover to full production after one typhoon wiped out all the rice land on several islands. It's an uphill battle. One of my great regrets was buying rice land there.

Thailand makes a lot of money out of PI's misfortunes. 

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Holders of British Pounds better hope there's a baht depreciation, GBP/THB just went to 41.87 at Kasikorn and others, will it breach 40 this year I wonder, or rather, when will it breach 40.

Got 43.80 at super rich 3 weeks ago

13 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Been reading that the dollar is stronger the last week or two, but I'm not seeing it in the USD/THB.

Almost equivalent is the HKDTHB rate and that has popped back over 4 so there has been some recovery. Enough for me to be changing some HKD next week if the better rate holds.

On 11/26/2016 at 2:49 PM, elgordo38 said:

The oracle of Thailand has spoken mark it on your calendars which reminds me I must look for a new one for 2017. I wonder if he could be more exact and tell me how many bahts down? Must also get the monk to bless it. At 78 I don't know if I will get to rip the November page off. Oh well its been a great ride.

The strength (?) of the baht is most annoying, and my Aussie dollar now gets 5 baht less than it did on arrival 5 years ago.   My first bank statement showed around 28 baht, and transfers now hovering at 23.  This is starting to hurt, as pensions have not increased much at all.  I know UK pensioners are worse off.

Once one has to pay for imported medicines, the picture becomes less and less rosy, and another farang has to pack his bags.

Waiting for a significant depreciation since December 2009.

I am 61 now and I am afraid I will not see it :sad:

2009: first week of December 2009 (on a holiday trip) I was at Bangkok Bank with my wife and only had about 1000 Euro with me to change. Wish I had a suitcase full of!!

Cash rate was about 48.8 at the time.

Start of the first downhill to about 40.

Next step decline in 2014.

10 year low in April 2015 at about 35!

Edited by KhunBENQ

40 minutes ago, Cranky said:

What's the point in continuing to display totally outdate articles like this?  Extremely misleading.

It's an ongoing discussion, there are three pages of posts this month alone - nobody's forcing you to read the thread!

On 5/6/2018 at 11:00 AM, masuk said:

Once one has to pay for imported medicines, the picture becomes less and less rosy, and another farang has to pack his bags.

Imported medicines would be priced in the overseas currency so if you pay from your home currency bank account the baht exchange rate is not relevant. Other currency exchange rates come into play.

Why buy imported medicines, plural? Maybe one or two that imports are superior, but most of what I need is produced in Asia, and costs about 1/10 the going American rate, for meds most of which are actually produced or the precursors in India anyway.

I take a couple produced in Thailand, which the government identified as especially important and licensed for domestic production.

• Like 2

On 09/05/2018 at 8:32 AM, rak sa_ngop said:

Imported medicines would be priced in the overseas currency so if you pay from your home currency bank account the baht exchange rate is not relevant. Other currency exchange rates come into play.

No, Thailand can choose to whack a load of tax on no matter what currency you paid in

Customs might not even clear your parcel if you don't want to pay them whatever they demand 

(meta comment): IMHO it would be nice if we had just one stickied thread for exchange rate discussions, that occasionally got pruned of oldest posts. There's no point in anyone starting at the beginning and reading through the 24 pages of this thread, and somebody started another thread just now with a different title but the same topic, so we have two. Or at this point the minimalist moderation thing might be to lock this one and keep the new one.

But neither of the threads have timeless titles like "Baht Exchange Rate Trends" that would make as much sense in a year or two as now.

16 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

(meta comment): IMHO it would be nice if we had just one stickied thread for exchange rate discussions, that occasionally got pruned of oldest posts. There's no point in anyone starting at the beginning and reading through the 24 pages of this thread, and somebody started another thread just now with a different title but the same topic, so we have two. Or at this point the minimalist moderation thing might be to lock this one and keep the new one.

But neither of the threads have timeless titles like "Baht Exchange Rate Trends" that would make as much sense in a year or two as now.

LOL> here I came looking for recent information about the Thai Baht exchange rate and instead I get to read your post, whining about the thread.

No one is forcing you to read through 24 pages of old thread. Every post is dated. The intelligent way is to observe the start date of threads first. If it's old, go to the last page to look for recent posts. 

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 8:46 AM, scotchonrocks said:

The US economy will pay a heavy price. Hikes in interests rates are done to put the brakes on a booming economy. The US economy is in the doldrums and even a small interest rate hike will be a dampener for growth and will tank the stock market. They are clearly worried that cheap debt must end but what are they going to do when investment contracts and deflation takes hold because for sure that's what will happen.

Get real Janet Yellen!

USA have had a great run....  as in all things, up and down..