Advice requested on respect issue

ctrunfree

Choices of hair color, apparels worn and all other fashion trends doesn't necessarily

show disrespect but a mere statement of one's living style,

having said that, I would refrain from gallivanting in places where mourners are gathered

or places that have been designated for a respect and homage rituals....

1 hour ago, tonray said:

In short. yes. Be respectful. The hair would be viewed as clownish and a possible affront to the Thai people and their love and respect for the late king.

One doesn't need to be so condescending in their reply. They asked a simple question and don't need to be lectured.

Op; although I think things are not as fragile as during the 30-day mourning period (far fewer wearing black, or white) and it wouldn't be an issue, might still be an idea to tone hair down a bit. :wink:

Agree with the above. Now that the 30 day period is well past and most Thais are back to normal dress it is OK to stay as you are as long as you do not go near the Palace or any other mourning/remembrance venues.  If you will not be able to avoid being in such locations, then better to tone down the hair.

3 hours ago, kannot said:

cheeky!! In this village there were signs clearly in English everywhere. That stated more or less please respect the locals and don,t dress like a common whore. Of course nobody got the message typical disrespectful foreigners.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

IMO If you want to maintain your hair colour tuck it in a hat.

Thai people don't take much notice of westerner in a time like this.

Wear a black bow thingy on your clothing shoulder if you want to show some awareness.  

3 hours ago, kannot said:

cheeky!!

i have been here the whole time since HMK passed.  I don't have any black shirts and have been wearing white,green, blue, yellow shirts; no one has ever given me a look or said anything.   unless you work here, it's not expected that you wear black all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 9:09 AM, Deepinthailand said:

Crass would you be "over it" if a family member died.

OP I think you would be fine wear a hat outside easy

no  i  wouldnt  be  over  it but  i  wouldnt expect/ demand the whole  world joins in with my grief

In short. yes. Be respectful. The hair would be viewed as clownish and a possible affront to the Thai people and their love and respect for the late king.

There was a few of the Thai football players with funky hair last night, never saw them getting slated.