NBTC makes 57.9 million from selling 16 “beautiful” phone numbers through auction

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, the guest said:

Everybody says to me Thais are poor, and I say you must be kidding. If they can spend money on phone numbers, then surely they can spend money improving the country, and getting it's people out of poverty.

Please google the following:

"sweeping generalization"

It would not surprise me if the money used to buy these numbers was obtained illigally in the first place. ''This may be a way to get something for nothing'' 

I wonder if anyone checks as to the source of these funds, is it from a government employee or some emensely wealthy individual in the private sector? Was tax paid on this money, etc?

1 minute ago, slapout said:

It would not surprise me if the money used to buy these numbers was obtained illigally in the first place. ''This may be a way to get something for nothing'' 

I wonder if anyone checks as to the source of these funds, is it from a government employee or some emensely wealthy individual in the private sector? Was tax paid on this money, etc?

I know a hotel where in the parkinggarage you'll see a whole row of the most expensive cars (no Camry's or  Benzes) and they all have the same licenseplates as the 6 million B numbers.

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

If the country in question is full of idiots, who can not remember a "normal" telephone- number!
E.g. No, it is very well not!
But I guess/ hope, you were being sarcastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

http://vipphonenumbers.com

http://phonenumberguy.com

... and many  more like that in most western countries. :smile:

5 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Napoleon Syndrome.. 

Now  the anti corruption tsars should investigate the buyers as surely no one who actually has to work to earn their money would be so stupid.

It easy to waste money when you stole it in the first place.

9 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

So the message is no average Thai person will get lucky and receive something that belongs in the public domain because it will be reserved for those with more wealth than good sense.

The huge majority of non-average Thais won't get the opportunity either.

10 hours ago, Thechook said:

Idiots

Why?   Because they spend their own money the way that they want to, just like you can do? 

Or are they "idiots" because they bought something valuable that can be sold on for a profit just like any other possession or investment?

Edited by gdgbb

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

I know several better ways of how to spend 6 million baht, and none of them would be using the money for a phone number.

Must be many vain brain dead people with to much money to waste.

Wouldn't their decision to spend their own money where they wish fall into the category of "their business"without running the risk of hypocritically being called brain dead? 

It's probably safe to assume that the fact that they have got money to spend in large quantities indicates that they are, indeed, not brain dead.

6 hours ago, tx22cb said:

BTW, the nicest numbers were not up for auction, viz 09-999-9999 and  08-888-8888.  Mere billionaires don't get these .... 

BTW, those numbers were for sale.

Edited by gdgbb

5 hours ago, the guest said:

Everybody says to me Thais are poor, and I say you must be kidding. If they can spend money on phone numbers, then surely they can spend money improving the country, and getting it's people out of poverty.

Why should the individual citizen spend their own hard earned money "improving the country, and getting it's people out of poverty", isn't that the government's responsibility?  Do you donate your money to the country?

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I know a hotel where in the parkinggarage you'll see a whole row of the most expensive cars (no Camry's or  Benzes) and they all have the same licenseplates as the 6 million B numbers.

Obviously, you don't, why would you post such nonsense?  Unless you can post a picture of all those car with the same 9-digit number, of course.

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Obviously, you don't, why would you post such nonsense?  Unless you can post a picture of all those car with the same 9-digit number, of course.

You go to the miracle grand in Laksi and have a look yourself, after that you'll eat your words.

16 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

So the message is no average Thai person will get lucky and receive something that belongs in the public domain because it will be reserved for those with more wealth than good sense.

It is probably big companies that want memorable numbers. I don't believe that private people, even rich ones, will spend such money for a phone number.