Fuel pump for Lifan 250 V

JSixpack

Mechanic says the fuel pump is bad on my friend's Lifan 250 V and can't be fixed, dunno why not. Lifan dealer says new pump will cost B10,000. Huh? Sounds like a ripoff.

fuelpump2.jpg

Aliexpress has one for a Virago 250 and others, looks similar, for about B500! Too good to be true maybe.

alibaba.jpg

Read more here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Fuel-Pump-for-Motorcycle-Virago-XV125-XV250-V-Star-250-Route-66-KEEWAY-Supershadow-Cruiser-Dorado/436449_1731256176.html

There's another on Ebay for about USD57, for a Virago. I wonder if it would be worth giving it a try. Suggestions? Tnx.

Edited by JSixpack

Your dealer is trying to get to you.

The Lifan 'dealer' in Naklua/north-o-Pattaya has been reliable and cheap.

B500 might be true price.

Lifan parts are cheap.

Bet your mechanic could make that shiney one work.

The fittings face the wrong way but could mix old/new.

Edited by papa al

papa al is on the right track, the dealer is trying to shaft your friend big time.

Time to say goodbye to the current dealer and try the one papa suggested.

Oh, and when it's sorted, visit the old dealer and show him the invoice and flash a big smile, turn around and ride off on the Lifan.

In Thailand you have three options to get this part, you can use a good Yamaha dealer, you can contact Lifan Thailand direct, and you can contact Keeway.

I have attached the page from the Thai Yamaha parts catalog, you can easily order it from Yamaha. You can also search for “Motorcycle Thailand Lifan LF250-B Parts Catalog” and you get the Lifan LF250-B parts catalog… I not think I have the parts catalog for the Keeway Dorado 250 parts catalog so you need to be a bit more creative with them...

Yamaha-XV250S-VIRAGO-Fuel-Tank.pdf

I am pretty sure that is a pulse pump.  It works by using the variations in pressure in the inlet manifold or, less commonly, the crankcase.

I have never seen one before on a motorcycle.  Pulse pumps are commonly found on lawn mowers and general purpose engines such as the Honda GCV.

There are three connections to the pump:

1.  Fuel in

2.  Fuel out

3.  Pressure from inlet manifold or crankcase

If the mechanic has got the hoses mixed up or there is a leak in the air hose the pump will not work.

There isn't much inside the pump.  A spring, a one way valve and a rubber diaphragm.  Assuming it is not spanner monkey error it is probably a defective diaphragm.

And, as others have said, it certainly isn't a 10K part.

Good news. Friend called the dealer and told him about the B500 replacement and also the price on a USA Lifan parts site: B1600. Hah! Price immediately came down to B950, which sounds about right. Can you believe that? As blatant an attempted ripoff as I've seen here in the LOS. Got WAY too greedy. Anyway, all's well that ends well. Tnx again, the input helped.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Good news. Friend called the dealer and told him about the B500 replacement and also the price on a USA Lifan parts site: B1600. Hah! Price immediately came down to B950, which sounds about right. Can you believe that? As blatant an attempted ripoff as I've seen here in the LOS. Got WAY too greedy. Anyway, all's well that ends well. Tnx again, the input helped.

You in the US? So it was not a Thai Lifan dealer who was trying to cheat you?

5 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

You in the US? So it was not a Thai Lifan dealer who was trying to cheat you?

No, no. In Pattaya! Happened to find the website of a parts dealer in the USA. I assume those parts are (cough) genuine Lifan but I dunno. Which makes B950 look good here.

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No, no. In Pattaya! Happened to find the website of a parts dealer in the USA. I assume those parts are (cough) genuine Lifan but I dunno. Which makes B950 look good here.

If you in Thailand let somebody who speaks Thai call the Lifan office in Bangkok, it will cost less and you not have to worry about import duty and custom clearing… the correct web address is www.lifanthailand.com the lifanth.com is a fake website