Banning Baby Bikers: Kids told not to drive motorcycles

webfact

Banning Baby Bikers: Kids told not to drive motorcycles

By Coconuts Bangkok November 30, 2016 / 13:25 ICT

311310739_38d5bb679f_z.jpg

Five kids on a scooter in the Khlong San area of Bangkok. Photo: Kelvin/ Flickr

BANGKOK: -- Kids driving motorcycles and scooters around Bangkok are so prevalent that The Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Center has decided to create an anti-youth-motorcycling initiative designed to save lives and keep those younger than 15 years old from driving massive motorcycles on Bangkok’s dangerous and congested roadways.

It is illegal for anyone younger than 15 to drive a motorcycle in Bangkok but the law is not often enforced and parents may encourage their kids to drive locally, asking them to run to the store or pick up their younger siblings.

Yesterday was the official launch of the "Don't Ride if you are under 15" campaign. It was launched at the Thai Health Office in Sathorn, reportedBangkok Post.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/30/banning-baby-bikers-kids-told-not-drive-motorcycles

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-30

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

Yesterday was the official launch of the "Don't Ride if you are under 15" campaign. It was launched at the Thai Health Office in Sathorn, reportedBangkok Post.

Hope they invited the BIB along and reminded them about the law...

16 minutes ago, eddie61 said:

That means parents taking responsibility for their kids..... the Thai gene pool missed that sequence

Yup, while massive reform is long overdue on the roads and in the BIB.

Parents are the ones who bear the ultimate responsibility.

Never quite get why some folks, in every country, rely so much on the authorities/government, to be everyones nanny. 

While the police here definitely need to do their job, we as a planet, need less government, not more.

Most of the kids riding bikes out where I live on the darkside of Pattaya don't have enough brains to be riding a bicycle let alone motor bikes, yet you can watch the BiB waving them out of the local school every afternoon, makes a complete joke of the laws that are never enforced.

What kind of parent would allow it in the first place, I guess the type that have to work 12 hours a day and have no time for their kids, easier to buy a motor bike and let them do their own thing I suppose.

Edited by Pungdo

6 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

Most of the kids riding bikes out where I live on the darkside of Pattaya don't have enough brains to be riding a bicycle let alone motor bikes, yet you can watch the BiB waving them out of the local school every afternoon, makes a complete joke of the laws that are never enforced.

What kind of parent would allow it in the first place, I guess the type that have to work 12 hours a day and have no time for their kids, easier to buy a motor bike and let them do their own thing I suppose.

Cost of a funeral is less than the cost to bring a kid up to late teen and then bearing the extra cost of the wedding and bringing up grandchildren...

Now you know why they let Darwin takes its course.

Edited by trogers

strange they dont mention having a license to ride as well. The problem is most parents dont give a stuff, the fact their kids are doing it illegally simply doesnt come into it as long as they are left alone or dont have to ride themselves. Way past time that the parents were held responsible/fined for any under age unlicensed riders and that the bikes they are riding are seized and destroyed, I am sure once the financial side comes into it they will all quickly take a much bigger interest in what their kids are doing and put a stop to it, money is the only thing that motivates them. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- Kids driving motorcycles and scooters around Bangkok are so prevalent that The Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Center has decided to create an anti-youth-motorcycling initiative designed to save lives and keep those younger than 15 years old from driving massive motorcycles on Bangkok’s dangerous and congested roadways.

Must be happening on a police off day. 

This story is being lost in translation to all of you. You are biased by your cultural background.

But what is going on here is teaching kids that no one needs to follow rules.

By the time they are 15 the lesson will be well and truly learnt.

They make an announcement and then in 7 days all is forgotten.

Then next year they make the same announcement.

You see the pattern...... Do you understand how it goes here.

Totally,100%,ignored.A 13 year old murdered our 90 year old Ajarn a few weeks ago..She is critical in hospital.She was riding a motor bike at 6am coming back from Loy Kratong celebrations.He was on his push bike.She is an orphan,and the Army take care of her,supposedly.

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Kids are "told" not to ride motor cycles!

How about taking some laws and enforce them, hold the parents account....oh never mind!

You know what the parents say to me when i suggest not giving them the key.Oh they will do something bad.So what.Take that bloody phone off of them.