Cop doesn't fine helmet-less kids - but draws praise from Thai public for giving them "the runaround"!

snoop1130

Cop doesn't fine helmet-less kids - but draws praise from Thai public for giving them "the runaround"!

sanook.png

The Thai public have praised a traffic cop who stopped two female students in Phuket for not wearing helmets on their motorcycle.

The praise was because of his unorthodox punishment - instead of castigating the teenagers he was caught on video getting the grinning youngsters to run around their bike by the side of the road.

More than 100,000 people viewed a very short clip that was posted to YouLike from the Facebook page of Lek Sparrow.

Netizens universally liked the actions of the cop who let the kids go after their "runaround" near the Chalong five ways intersection.

It was not clear whether the students had been fined or if the unusual "punishment" was considered enough for one day.

Source: http://news.sanook.com/2109690/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-30

The cop was said to have explained it afterwards by noting that the kids didn't have money to pay the fine so he made them do laps around the scooter as punishment in the hopes that would teach them a lesson about safety.

2 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Spanking them would be pedo but making them run in circles?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Grooming, establishing order following behaviour + voyeurism.

He should do his job,

i) either confiscate their motorbike until an adult turns up with the correct documentation.

ii) Or be lenient, confiscate their motorbike until they acquire helmets.

iii) Or just turn a blind eye.

What is the point of him making underage girls run around a motorbike unless it is to perv on them.

The system would be far easier to implement by fining the parents of every kid caught. Don't have to catch them all there are millions but over time say 5 years it may start to take a hold.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

He should do his job,

i) either confiscate their motorbike until an adult turns up with the correct documentation.

What is the point of him making underage girls run around a motorbike unless it is to perv on them.

IMHO the cop probably doesn't want to be the first to take real legal action in regard to hundreds of thousands of underage kids riding motorcycles (also obviously meaning no license), and many with no helmets, when in reality this situation became the norm several decades ago.

Possibly also part of the puzzle, the lone cop is frightened of being punished by his superiors for taking action because the superiors don't want to rock the boat, especially where there are powerful parents / communities in the picture.

Bottom line, just another example of a problem which became apparent decades ago but ignored, and now after the problem has grown to be enormous nobody wants to be the first to act. It should have been fixed 30 or 40 years ago. 

Same as the beach vendors, they have been breaking the law for many decades but the police looked the other way and now when they tell the vendors to vacate it's a huge problem. It should never have become such a huge problem. 

Thai don't have respect for cops at all and this copper should have given them a fine.

In Chinatown cardrivers like to park on the road, even on very busy ones. To stop that there are cops now EVERY 10 meters and in between them loads of pilons inbetween them...also they put new no-parking signs on poles....

For how long will all these cops be on the sidewalk for all days? Weeks, months?  Don't they have work to do?

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

If Dhammachayo hands himself in before midnight, they will probably tell him to run twice round the temple, and be on his way !

Well if you've seen the size of that thing that amounts to a death sentence.

I have an idea of punishment for kids not wearing helmet.

Slap the kid in the face.

Then give him a good helmet and slap him/her again.

Then gently explain that if his head hit the ground, even at low speed he can multiply that feeling by 1000 and I am sure that he will understand.

Cop needs to be transfered. Not his job to make up shit. Dont know if its pedo behavior as another poster said but i agree its weird and very questionable.

Plain and simple the <deleted> didnt do his job. Sack him. Transfer him. Something!

See this alot where kids are made to sit there for 30min or an hour, no fine. These kids dont care. Hit then where it hurts. There parents pockets! Can afford the bike, fuel and school....?

Making young girls run around a bike on the side of the road is dangerous.

Especially without a helmet!!!!

Shame shame shame and shame to all the people praising idiot behavior. Why pull the girls over at all then.

Selective policing again. Is questionable why? Friend of family or likes little girls. His jobs to give fines for not wearing a helmets etc. Nothing more to it really.

Suggest wal;k home, collect money and then return with helmets to collect the motorbike, nit return no problem , no-one at home , not the Police problem, when will Thai Police get some courage to do what they should do. ENFORCE THE LAW...period.

14 hours ago, Briggsy said:

He should do his job,

bet he let them drive away without helmets on. that electrical mess looks like a death trap.

2 hours ago, anthobkk said:

I have an idea of punishment for kids not wearing helmet.

Slap the kid in the face.

Then give him a good helmet and slap him/her again.

Then gently explain that if his head hit the ground, even at low speed he can multiply that feeling by 1000 and I am sure that he will understand.

I'm totally against corporal punishment, but I think this is the only way to get through to these kids. Reminds me when my daughter was sitting next to me in the car after we just drove of, and wasn't wearing her seatbelt yet. Busy doing duck faces in the mirror or something. I noticed this and while doing around 5kmh, I braked harder than usual at a nasty bump in the road. Well, suffice to say, first thing she now does in the car is buckle up. The dent in the dashboard is a solid reminder. Ps. I was even surprised of the impact at such slow speed. 

22 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I'm totally against corporal punishment, but I think this is the only way to get through to these kids. Reminds me when my daughter was sitting next to me in the car after we just drove of, and wasn't wearing her seatbelt yet. Busy doing duck faces in the mirror or something. I noticed this and while doing around 5kmh, I braked harder than usual at a nasty bump in the road. Well, suffice to say, first thing she now does in the car is buckle up. The dent in the dashboard is a solid reminder. Ps. I was even surprised of the impact at such slow speed. 

Yes I do exactly the same when friends sit in my car and don't want to wear a seat belt because it is not "comfortable". Hit hard on the brake at 5 kmh and they will put it right after.

Its a good thing the girls were not much taller or else the low hanging wires could have garroted them. I am really surprised that he stopped the girls. Usually they only want to set up roadblocks and get em like shooting fish in a barrel. Something starting with L comes to mind